Has anyone claimed compensation from HMRC for an error?

Options
After 3 weeks and hours of phone calls to try and find missed tax credits payments we now have an answer and it's an HMRC error! They wrongly changed my bank details on my account so payments went missing! They managed to pay into an old closed account and even make up a new and non existent sort code! How?! I'm furious! I've been advised to seek compensation for financial hardship (as missing payments will be spread out over weekly entitlement at a few quid extra per week! Not exactly helpful! It's caused sever stress and anxiety to me and my children! My mum has leant money where she could and my bills and rent payments bounced! Surely this isn't right to treat families like this?!

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Melhindley wrote: »
    After 3 weeks and hours of phone calls to try and find missed tax credits payments we now have an answer and it's an HMRC error! They wrongly changed my bank details on my account so payments went missing! They managed to pay into an old closed account and even make up a new and non existent sort code! How?! I'm furious! I've been advised to seek compensation for financial hardship (as missing payments will be spread out over weekly entitlement at a few quid extra per week! Not exactly helpful! It's caused sever stress and anxiety to me and my children! My mum has leant money where she could and my bills and rent payments bounced! Surely this isn't right to treat families like this?!
    You could try but i doubt it very much if you'd win. When payments are missed for what ever reason then they're always added on to the existing claiming. It happens to everyone, as already stated in previous posts.
  • Melhindley
    Options
    I still think they should reimburse for the cost of what they've caused. All the time and cost of phone calls, the hardship they've caused a family meaning they have no money for 2 weeks, the stress and worry about when it will all be sorted and payments actually sent to where they should be. I have to try
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    Have you made a formal complaint as already suggested?
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I still think they should reimburse for the cost of what they've caused. All the time and cost of phone calls, the hardship they've caused a family meaning they have no money for 2 weeks, the stress and worry about when it will all be sorted and payments actually sent to where they should be. I have to try

What you had no other money than tax credits!

What cost have they actually caused?
  • Melhindley
    Options
    I've been in contact via email with complaints dep. but no help at all! Yes we have been without! My partner lost his job a couple of weeks beforehand so it's been tight as it is. We are relying on CTC and CHB that's it! So without CTC we've had £61 a week!
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Can your partner claim JSA?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Melhindley
    Options
    He's applied online waiting for appointment
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    I wasn't aware they'd started communicating via email for tax credits. Interesting to know.
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    edited 21 July 2017 at 8:03PM
    Options
    I doubt it, apparently my taxes was being worked on with a laptop left on a train according to a letter they sent me 2 years after they were aware it had happened and I got nothing despite the obvious problem of potential identity theft etc...

If they weren't going to give compensation for that kind of negligence then someone typing something in the computer wrong would be seen as nothing.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ...........the hardship they've caused a family meaning they have no money for 2 weeks, .............
    You said earlier you had children: So Child benefit & all other benefits stopped earlier? Wow!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure