H2B ISA and LISA confusion

Options
Hello,

I have close to 6k in my Help to Buy ISA. I also have a LISA set up from last year with £1 which I could transfer to. My partner and I have concluded the missives on our property which is expected to be completed by August/September.

What is the best option for me to do to maximise my bonus potential? Do I run the risk of creating problems for myself with solicitors or developer if my Help to Buy changes into a LISA?

Thanks

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As long as the LISA has been open 12 months from the initial contribution by the time you withdraw the money for a qualifying property purchase you should be fine. You need to act quickly to get the HTB ISA transfered. Talk to your solicitor first. Who is your LISA provider?
  • thejinkazama
    Options
    Skipton is the provider.
  • Alexland
    Options
    That's fine they accept HTB transfer requests (Inc previous tax year contributions) if initiated in the next few days.
  • thejinkazama
    Options
    Thanks. I'm unable to work out if I'd be financially better off though.
  • Alexland
    Options
    Do you have more money available to put towards the deposit than the HTB product limit of £200 per month? Would the larger LISA contribution limit of £4000 per year be beneficial to getting a bigger 25% bonus?

What exact date did you open the LISA - will 12 months have passed allowing an extra 1 month for the admin?
  • thejinkazama
    Options
    Hi again,

Thanks for your reply. I've checked my emails and the LISA was opened on 5th September 2017. Going by what you've said, we will potentially miss out at the house could be ready as early as August. Should I therefore stick with the H2B ISA?
  • Alexland
    Options
    Sounds like you should stick to the HTB for now if you are confident this house purchase will complete in those timescales.
  • benjonezy92
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I was hoping that someone might be able to help me answer these 2 questions, before I decide on whether to change my existing H2B to a LISA before the March 1st deadline::

1. Can the £4,000 annual allowance be paid in at ANYTIME during the financial year? For example, if I put in £4,000 on say, April 1st 2019, and then another £4,000 in the new financial year on April 6th, 2019... Would I still be eligible for the full bonus?

2. Will I lose any money from the LISA as a penalty if I take out any money within the first year of opening it?

Any advice on these questions would be much appreciated :-)!

B
  • Alexland
    Options
    1 - yes you can contribute the up to £4k at anytime during the tax year. So you could make two £4k contributions within a few days over a tax year end/start.

2 - the early withdrawal penalty applies from 6th April 2018 onwards. You might be confused with the 12 months required between initial LISA deposit and withdrawal for a qualifying property purchase to avoid penalty?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure