Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So pleased to see you back Alex.

Sorry to hear that the teaching has not gone too well for you.

I do understand what you mean by the "culture and profession"

You know your own mind now and the things that work best for you.

Enjoy your time off and take care of yourself and your family.
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think if you feel like that, then you probably shouldn't continue.

As someone who works in secondary teaching, you have to love the job you do. Yes, the days are long, difficult, frustrating, demanding and a host of other things, but something in there has to make you want to be there.

It's the little things, like a Year 7 thanking you for your lesson, to a grumpy Year 9 boy suddenly getting something he didn't understand before. It's your GCSE class having a laugh on an afternoon over something really daft. It's the things children come out with that they don't realise are funny but are actually hilarious. It's about making connections, helping them through the tricky stages and enjoying the fact that you work with wonderful young people.

If you don't feel that, then teaching isn't for you. And I'm saying that in the kindest way possible.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    kelpie35 wrote: »
    So pleased to see you back Alex.

Sorry to hear that the teaching has not gone too well for you.

I do understand what you mean by the "culture and profession"

You know your own mind now and the things that work best for you.

Enjoy your time off and take care of yourself and your family.

Thank you, kelpie. :)

Nothing to be sorry about. Whilst I've not been having the best time, I have gained some knowledge and insight. I've been able to step back and think things through rationally rather than overwhelming myself with stress. I know if I choose not to go back it doesn't make me a failure, rather I tried something I wanted to try and it wasn't meant to be. I don't really know what's happened but it's like I've flicked a switch in my mind.

Going to try to enjoy the coming week as much as possible and get out to a few places with my son. :) However, my father was meant to come out of hospital today and he hasn't, so the coming week is looking mostly like entertaining my mother and helping father.

As someone who works in secondary teaching, you have to love the job you do. Yes, the days are long, difficult, frustrating, demanding and a host of other things, but something in there has to make you want to be there.

It's the little things, like a Year 7 thanking you for your lesson, to a grumpy Year 9 boy suddenly getting something he didn't understand before. It's your GCSE class having a laugh on an afternoon over something really daft. It's the things children come out with that they don't realise are funny but are actually hilarious. It's about making connections, helping them through the tricky stages and enjoying the fact that you work with wonderful young people.

If you don't feel that, then teaching isn't for you. And I'm saying that in the kindest way possible.

That's the conclusion I'm arriving at, SF. :)

In my volunteering work / music teaching I've felt it and also really love being a parent. However, I'm not passionate about the things I am teaching and have formed no sort of bond with any of the pupils. I still teach a few pupils Music and go above and beyond for them as they are dedicated, passionate and open to learning. Some I've let go in the past because they are not. In a classroom situation I don't have that control to teach the pupils I wish to teach. My main problem lies with staff and the culture, though. It almost seems unreasonable to have other commitments. I didn't attend one staff meeting (they didn't care about my opinion but apparently did about my presence) because I needed to meet with a tenant resulted in a meeting with the Head that week. The day after, a particular member of staff with a taste for trouble decided to try to alienate me from everyone else. I spoke to the school direct person to be told I need to attend staff meetings regardless and that I am not making it easy for staff to like me. In the time I've been there, I've done everything asked of me other than the one staff meeting and offered to help with all music related things but that isn't good enough because apparently having property to deal with = not making it easy for staff to like you. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • smallholdingsister
    Options

Epic post. Yesterday it was hysterics over hairy carrots.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2017 at 10:01AM
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »

In my volunteering work / music teaching I've felt it and also really love being a parent. However, I'm not passionate about the things I am teaching and have formed no sort of bond with any of the pupils. I still teach a few pupils Music and go above and beyond for them as they are dedicated, passionate and open to learning. Some I've let go in the past because they are not. In a classroom situation I don't have that control to teach the pupils I wish to teach. My main problem lies with staff and the culture, though. It almost seems unreasonable to have other commitments. I didn't attend one staff meeting (they didn't care about my opinion but apparently did about my presence) because I needed to meet with a tenant resulted in a meeting with the Head that week. The day after, a particular member of staff with a taste for trouble decided to try to alienate me from everyone else. I spoke to the school direct person to be told I need to attend staff meetings regardless and that I am not making it easy for staff to like me. In the time I've been there, I've done everything asked of me other than the one staff meeting and offered to help with all music related things but that isn't good enough because apparently having property to deal with = not making it easy for staff to like you. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Did you speak to anybody about the fact that you couldn't attend the staff meeting beforehand? Did you try to rearrange the meeting with the tenant or was it urgent?

I hope you didn't just not turn up and when asked about it dismiss it with 'I have properties to deal with'. Do you realise how that can come across? For one thing, a staff meeting isn't just a chance for you to give your opinion, its a chance to hear other people and to get new information that affects you, your pupils and the school, you've now let them know that doesn't matter to you.

If you did pre-arrange with someone more senior or with your mentor/supervisor that you couldn't attend and it was agreed that it was ok for you to skip one, that's different.

It does sound like working in a school is not going to be for you though, and that's fine, it is what it is and you are who you are! If teachers only taught children who wanted to learn and were enthusiastic about school though, how many children with the potential to grow into hard working, decent, productive adults would get left behind? If you don't want to be the one to try and help them, that's fine, its not something everybody can do, but please have a little respect for those that dedicate their working lives to it.

Maybe you could look at a way to formalise your music tuition and turn that into more of a small business? It sounds like it suits you much better.
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    However you view staff meetings they should be a priority.

In my experience the most negative way in which other teachers will view you is with indifference. We are simply too busy to get mixed up in other peoples' stuff.
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    My main problem lies with staff and the culture, though. It almost seems unreasonable to have other commitments. I didn't attend one staff meeting (they didn't care about my opinion but apparently did about my presence) because I needed to meet with a tenant resulted in a meeting with the Head that week. The day after, a particular member of staff with a taste for trouble decided to try to alienate me from everyone else. I spoke to the school direct person to be told I need to attend staff meetings regardless and that I am not making it easy for staff to like me. In the time I've been there, I've done everything asked of me other than the one staff meeting and offered to help with all music related things but that isn't good enough because apparently having property to deal with = not making it easy for staff to like you. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    During term time, it is expected that you are there during school hours, regardless. Other commitments need to be arranged at a different time. Did you say to anyone beforehand that you weren't going to the staff meeting? Things like that are directed time, so you shouldn't miss them apart from in an emergency. Meeting with a tenant doesn't fall in this category, at all.

Other members of staff will have other commitments, perhaps property like you, but it's the way you deal with it that matters. When you're in the school, what matters is providing the best opportunities for the young people in front of you. Not disappearing because a tenant needs to speak to you. There are many hours outside of the school day, meetings included, which you could have met them in or spoken to them on the phone in the first instance.

You say you've done everything that has been asked of you - that's the norm surely? You're on your training and you need to do everything by the book. You are there to make a good impression as these are the people who write your references and who, if you want one, will provide support in getting your first job. I do everything I'm asked to as well, even though some things I might not personally agree with, because when I signed the contract for my current post, that's what I agree to do. Including the mountains of paper work!

It does sound as if teaching as a profession is not for you. That's not a bad thing, just make the decision sooner rather than later. For both your sake and where you are doing your placement.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Epic post. Yesterday it was hysterics over hairy carrots.

Hairy carrots? :rotfl:
    Did you speak to anybody about the fact that you couldn't attend the staff meeting beforehand? Did you try to rearrange the meeting with the tenant or was it urgent?

I hope you didn't just not turn up and when asked about it dismiss it with 'I have properties to deal with'. Do you realise how that can come across? For one thing, a staff meeting isn't just a chance for you to give your opinion, its a chance to hear other people and to get new information that affects you, your pupils and the school, you've now let them know that doesn't matter to you.

If you did pre-arrange with someone more senior or with your mentor/supervisor that you couldn't attend and it was agreed that it was ok for you to skip one, that's different.

It does sound like working in a school is not going to be for you though, and that's fine, it is what it is and you are who you are! If teachers only taught children who wanted to learn and were enthusiastic about school though, how many children with the potential to grow into hard working, decent, productive adults would get left behind? If you don't want to be the one to try and help them, that's fine, its not something everybody can do, but please have a little respect for those that dedicate their working lives to it.

Maybe you could look at a way to formalise your music tuition and turn that into more of a small business? It sounds like it suits you much better.

Red Squirrel, I have let people down re. teaching. I thought I had found a career path which would suit but I was ignoring some of the realities. When volunteering I didn't mind some of the more challenging pupils because they didn't view me as a teacher. I hadn't anticipated how different it would be with the challenging pupils as their everyday teacher. All the problems teachers had with those pupils and I didn't, I now have and I can't really cope with it.

I also hadn't anticipated the day being so regimented it's practically impossible to extend Maths for 15 / 30 minutes to allow either for time lost or because extra time would be beneficial. At times it almost seems that routine seems more important than learning. Had everything else been right for me, I wouldn't be so concerned with the conditions of the job but it isn't and I've really started to question why I've not been putting my efforts into areas which would see much greater financial gains.

To the staff at the school it seems anything to do with my life comes across in a way that offends them. I tell them about my son's upcoming birthday party to have a member of staff roll her eyes at me and be told "well, we just knew you wouldn't be having a pool party at the local leisure centre". I take in a video of my father's live steam garden railway and some nice old clockwork locos to show an interested pupil which was met with scorn.
    However you view staff meetings they should be a priority.

In my experience the most negative way in which other teachers will view you is with indifference. We are simply too busy to get mixed up in other peoples' stuff.

Everyone in the school is indeed busy but they seem to have time for gossip at lunchtime (called "dinnertime" :eek:) at this school.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    During term time, it is expected that you are there during school hours, regardless. Other commitments need to be arranged at a different time. Did you say to anyone beforehand that you weren't going to the staff meeting? Things like that are directed time, so you shouldn't miss them apart from in an emergency. Meeting with a tenant doesn't fall in this category, at all.

Other members of staff will have other commitments, perhaps property like you, but it's the way you deal with it that matters. When you're in the school, what matters is providing the best opportunities for the young people in front of you. Not disappearing because a tenant needs to speak to you. There are many hours outside of the school day, meetings included, which you could have met them in or spoken to them on the phone in the first instance.

You say you've done everything that has been asked of you - that's the norm surely? You're on your training and you need to do everything by the book. You are there to make a good impression as these are the people who write your references and who, if you want one, will provide support in getting your first job. I do everything I'm asked to as well, even though some things I might not personally agree with, because when I signed the contract for my current post, that's what I agree to do. Including the mountains of paper work!

It does sound as if teaching as a profession is not for you. That's not a bad thing, just make the decision sooner rather than later. For both your sake and where you are doing your placement.

I fail to see how not attending a staff meeting means I am failing to provide opportunities for pupils? On another point, I am not a paid member of staff. In fact, as a student, if I do go back after half term I will be paying to be there. Therefore, I would argue the same rules cannot apply. Further, the terms by which I signed to as a student has no such clauses pertaining to the definition of directed hours.

Whilst I won't go into the full details of why I needed to see the tenant, finding a time was difficult due to the tenant's working hours and had another time worked, I would have been at the meeting.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Due to the terrible weather, my wife and I have managed to do a little decluttering at the house and identify some items which ought to find a home. Should hopefully bring a little extra money into our savings too. :)

I think we are going to be living with my parents for a time and need to think if this is the best option going forward.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills