Is expensive skincare worth the hefty price tag?

Options

Comments

• justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spend the money on decent serums and oils, less so on the moisturizer.

Can you enlighten me please what is the difference between serum , oil and moisturiser - if it all meant to be absorbed by skin one theoretically should be able to use one item only (if one is not using any decorative cosmetics and as a consequence is not worried how foundation will stay or look on face).
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Serum is much lighter and absorbs very quickly and I use it under my moisturiser - the No 7 protect and perfect is great but over £20. I use a facial oil after a bath at night - a bit greasy for day wear for me
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    It's a racket. Pretty much everything boils down to oil, water, or an emulsion of the two.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    harrys_nan wrote: »
    Techno wrote: »
    Also Aldi have the caviar day and night cream at £6.99 for 50ml. They were queuing out the door for it last time it was on offer. See article below
    Aldi's moisturiser is 'nearly' as good as La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe ...
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk › article-3251389

I would warn against the Aldi products if you have sensitive skin.

Note that the apparent queuing out the door is due to excellent marketing - it should not be used as an indicator of quality.

I'm another one for the French pharmacy brands - Avene, LRP and Vichy.
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I should say I'm considerably older than you, DDAC, but I think the most important thing is moisturising daily from a young age.

I was listening to a dermatologist on BBC2 drive time last week I believe and she said that products containing retinol and vitamin C have been proved to be helpful. True retinol products are rather pricey, and in the short term can cause a feeling of burning, so it's good, if using them, to build up from small amounts (within the products, not of the products).

Certainly I find that as I get older, a more substantial cream is necessary. I also find my Dermawand helps when I get the odd blemish and my face does seem to be more radiant after I've used it (only when my husband is not at home as he has a pacer).
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • Dustyblinds
    Options
    paddyrg wrote: »
    It's a racket. Pretty much everything boils down to oil, water, or an emulsion of the two.
    I've never really been able to afford expensive skin creams, I once had a consultation at the Clinique counter and felt so guilty at the £90+I spent on skincare, after the 3 months my skin didn't look any different to how it had done beforehand so I went back to buying whatever I could afford at the time.
    I've always tried to buy a moisturiser with an spf, and always use eye cream and serum. My mam always had good skin so maybe I've inherited it from her, but I think I've done ok with my low cost skincare :rotfl:
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use a combination of Elizabeth Arden and Simple products.

The EA stuff is pricey but I've found it makes a big difference and I have been able to get it at less than 1/2 price via Ebay.
  • Poppy99
    Poppy99 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to use expensive skincare (Decleor, ISClinical, Liz Earle, Clarins) etc but because of economic reasons I downgraded to Garnier Micellar Water for cleansing (always on offer somewhere), a Boots Time Delay eye cream (I was spending gulp £80 on an eye cream), Nivea Soft in a tube for face, with a bigger pot of Nivea Soft for body lotion. For a scrub I use A Sanctuary one which is a rip off of the expensive Origins one I used to use. As a standby by against emergency sore skin, I have Avene skin rescue cream. I don't bother with a serum or oil. The result for my skin - no change from the expensive regimes. I think you are what you eat, so apart from keeping your skin moisturised with a basic moisturiser, I take either 1000mg of flaxseed oil, starflower oil or Vitamin E. Flaxseed is very cheap as a supplement.

Even serums do not need to expensive. There is a lot of love for a really cheap one from Superdrug - see the 13 Feb beauty column in the Guardian by Sali Hughes for the link. This one is under 3 quid, current on offer for under 2 quid. It is a hydrating one for sensitive skin. I have not tried it as it is just another layer I don't feel I particularly need.
  • justme111
    justme111 Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Techno wrote: »
    Serum is much lighter and absorbs very quickly and I use it under my moisturiser - the No 7 protect and perfect is great but over £20. I use a facial oil after a bath at night - a bit greasy for day wear for me
    Ok. So for how long is the moisturiser being absorbed then after application if it is applied on top of serum ?
    Does oil absorb at all btw? I thought oil molecules are too long to penetrate into skin. Suppose extensive anecdotal evidence that after oil skin is better is enough to use it and I understand for daytime is not looking best.
    I am just trying to tell sales gimmicks from genuinely useful stuff
    The word "dilemma" comes from Greek where "di" means two and "lemma" means premise. Refers usually to difficult choice between two undesirable options.
    Often people seem to use this word mistakenly where "quandary" would fit better.
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    Justme111- a serum is the concentrated shot of active ingredients to perform some function for the skin i.e. calming, anti-aging or firming. It is light and water like and easily absorbed. The oil next, should be jammed packed with all the good stuff. Skin likes good oils as it helps provide the fatty acids- it helps improve dryness. The oils are concentrated goodness- if you choose the right one.
    Moisturizer, Paddyrg, is correct is an emulsion of fat and water- like mayonnaise. It acts as a barrier to trap the moisture in the skin. It is a physical barrier to the elements and is absorbed- but really layering works. It allows absorbing in order of effectiveness and allows you get more bang for your buck. I have skin that is dry and needs lots of moisture. I found that using oil (rosehip or trilogy antioxidant plus) has allowed me to use less moisturizer and that is money saving.
    Two or three md priced decent products like moo goo, avene and vichy are better than a thick layer of an expensive cream.
    Poppy99, I agree 100% that you need to eat good foods rich in fatty acids and antioxidants. I eat a lot of oily fish and linseeds. I also have recognized over the years a real truism that people who drink, smoke and eat tonnes of sugar look more haggard.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure