Recommended Asian Fund?

Options
Hi guys - after an Asian fund to play about with a small amount of personal money (reluctance to invest my mums money in conservative funds due to the current dip/uncertainties about), but my HL Emerging fund has never dropped (this ready made fund has higher chargers than other funds.

First state asia focus - was a fund highlighted by HL latest email, however this also seems to have high charges compared to other non Asian funds I've seen.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    reluctance to invest my mums money in conservative funds due to the current dip/uncertainties about

That sentence indicates you are not really suited to higher risk.
    but my HL Emerging fund has never dropped

Impossible. Most emerging market funds have 80% loss potential over 12 months (give or take the risk differences that exist between them as they are not all the same risk).

What is the name of this fund? ( in case its not the HL Multi-Manager Asia and Emerging Markets fund - which lost 20% within months of launch and given its short history has never suffered a period containing a real stockmarket crash. It is also double the cost of better funds).

Are you sure you are ready for such things as your post suggests otherwise?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't know what time period you are measuring your EM fund stability but not all geographies are working to the same short term ups and downs and I agree with Dunstonh that EM funds do tend to be more volatile overall.
  • johnD17
    johnD17 Posts: 59 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry guys to clarify.

This is only since Nov last year.

I have two different aims here, the original ask around Asian funds is for a small amount of personal money in which I can afford to take a risk over a longer period.

The point around conservative funds relates to large chunks of money, which may be needed over the medium, as such I am not comfortable investing that in the market at this point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure