Chip and signature card refused by retailer

I have used chip and signature cards for many years...

A couple of times in the last few months, retailers have refused to take payment in this way while accepting chip and PIN cards. I do know that retailers are not allowed to do this (under legislation forbidding discrimination against people with a disability): is there any body that enforces this?

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Any link to the legislation?
    Are you saying that with some disability a person can sign, but can't enter the pin?
  • I would put it down to poorly trained staff not knowing what to do, even though the till should guide them through the process.

Chip and signature cards can be provided to anyone who has difficulty entering their PIN – this may be due to dexterity issues, visual impairment, memory problems or mobility issues that make it hard to use a PIN terminal.

http://www.paymentscouncil.org.uk/current_projects/chip_and_signature/

The payments council do the information for this, but I don't know if there is any regulary body. I would do a complaint letter to the retailer in questions stating they are discriminitating against you.
  • reclusive46
    reclusive46 Posts: 2,698 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2015 at 2:16PM
    I have used chip and signature cards for many years...

A couple of times in the last few months, retailers have refused to take payment in this way while accepting chip and PIN cards. I do know that retailers are not allowed to do this (under legislation forbidding discrimination against people with a disability): is there any body that enforces this?

What shops were these at?

One of my cards is also chip and signature (a foreign card), luckily, I've never had it rejected as its an American Express and although I've had some retailers say they don't usually take signatures, they do take them on Amex.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Do you actually have a disability that prevents you using a PIN, or do you just happen to have a C&S card that was refused? If you don't have a disability then I don't see how the Equality Act 2010 can apply to you - it could well be illegal for the retailer to refuse it for somebody who is disabled, but can set their own rules for someone who is able to use a PIN. Although a wise retailer might think about whether asking someone if they are disabled would in itself breach the Act.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Do you actually have a disability that prevents you using a PIN, or do you just happen to have a C&S card that was refused? If you don't have a disability then I don't see how the Equality Act 2010 can apply to you - it could well be illegal for the retailer to refuse it for somebody who is disabled, but can set their own rules for someone who is able to use a PIN. Although a wise retailer might think about whether asking someone if they are disabled would in itself breach the Act.

I'm not sure that this is relevant... my response, in case anyone asks me, is that I suffer unacceptable levels of anxiety from the use of chip and PIN because of the way in which fraud was treated by the banks when the technology was first rolled out (that is, blaming the customer and refusing to believe that anyone else could commit fraud). Anyway, I fail to see how a retailer, or anyone else, could tell by looking at someone whether they suffered from an inability to remember their PIN, and such a question at the point of sale would not be acceptable.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Shops can refuse to serve whoever they (dont) want to as long as it isnt on an outlawed "ism" of which one is discrimination against disabled people.

If the C&S is an adaptation for a disability you have that is recognised under the DDA/ Equality Act then there would be an argument that they are acting illegally.

If the C&S is simply because you dont think C&P is secure enough etc then they would be perfectly entitled to refuse to serve you.

Certainly I am not aware of any law that explicitly states C&S has to be accepted but would be happy to be corrected if it is in any Act
  • Voyager2002
    What shops were these at?

One of my cards is also chip and signature (a foreign card), luckily, I've never had it rejected as its an American Express and although I've had some retailers say they don't usually take signatures, they do take them on Amex.

The card in question is Amex but issued in the UK.

The shops: a branch of Spar on the outskirts of a small town; and a post office in the centre of a major city.

When the technology was new I fairly often had it questioned, but would politely suggest to the staff that they look at their screen and followed the instructions that it displayed, and at the time that always worked.
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March 2015 at 5:02PM
    I too have Chip & Signature Cards. Never had a problem. Would you care to mention the name and location of the retailer?

Disregard. Above message posted at similar time to originators.
  • Voyager2002
    James wrote: »
    I too have Chip & Signature Cards. Never had a problem. Would you care to mention the name and location of the retailer?

See above, but better not to give the locations (both a long way from London).
  • sinizterguy
    sinizterguy Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    In my experience, many Spar do not accept Amex. I have never found a Post Office accepting Amex yet.

So, was the refusal to do with trying to use an Amex ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure