BT 12 month advance line rental warning

Options
After being with BT for some years, I've changed to TalkTalk. Although I'd paid 12 months advance line rental, because I changed over 8 days early BT is charging me a cancellation fee of £16.This seems like sharp practice bordering on theft, so be warned.

Comments

• sinizterguy
    sinizterguy Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    Options
    With your 12 months advance line rental, you entered a 12 month contract - so that is probably a cancellation fee to allow you to exit the contract early.

Not sharp practice. Not bordering on theft. Just normal business practice.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good idea to blame someone else. If it was only 8 days why didn't you wait?
  • rockin_plumber
    Options
    Did you get caller display and your calling plan for free? If you did you entered another 12 month contract for these... and conveniently for BT they all started at different times and there is no way BT can bring them in line to end all on the same date.
  • rockin_plumber
    Options
    With your 12 months advance line rental, you entered a 12 month contract - so that is probably a cancellation fee to allow you to exit the contract early.

Not sharp practice. Not bordering on theft. Just normal business practice.

I called this a 12 month contract when I wanted them to bring my Caller display contract and my Calling Plan contract into line to end when I paid for my Line Rental Saver, so they all ended the same date.

They said Line Rental Saver isn't a contract, you have just paid up front and its non-refundable.

They said this couldn't be done, but then suggested it could be if I moved my broadband form Virgin Media to them (with another 12 month contract for broadband)! ROGUES!

Since September I am no longer with BT.
  • spenderdave
    Options
    By the way it now appears free caller display IS included in Line Rental Saver, which it wasn't last year. The BT website is not clear on this - I renewed LRS in November, my previous one year free caller display ran out early January and I have not been charged on my latest bill.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    With TalkTalk you can pay line rental for 12 months in advance and save 10%. It does not commit you to a contract term, and if you do leave them within the 12 months they refund the advance line rental.
    If you are leaving during the period of an agreed contract term, there are early termination charges.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure