PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Buying reduced items/discount items in 2018

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I base my shopping around YS items. I try not to buy processed food if I can but sometimes if I am shopping tired I can get roped in to non YS items like wine and crisps!
    I have a good freezer so I try to stick to high quality protein items. I love organic turkey and it is hard to get turkey outside of Christmas so I try and stock up. This year I bought various turkey breasts/whole turkeys for an average of £55 each and I paid an average of £5 each. I try and only look at YS with at least 70% off and I only use Waitr0se and MnS as the quality is high and the shelf life seems longer.

I have another year of restricted budget whilst I do my house repairs so I am likely to shop this way for another year.

To keep my dignity I never take more than one of something before offering it to the person next to me. I never grab and if someone looks like their need is greater I let them have it instead :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    planning a ys shop on Monday evening as ive been wading through the mountain of goodies in the freezer since Christmas eve!! I'm hoping for two clear freezer shelves, heres hoping!!
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    To keep my dignity I never take more than one of something before offering it to the person next to me. I never grab and if someone looks like their need is greater I let them have it instead :)

I think there should be etiquette rules for YS shopping such as doing itanyway abides by :) so many people park their trolley right across the shelves and then proceed to scoop everything they can into it and then give you such a dirty look when you politely shift their trolley out of the way so that you can get to the one thing you want ;) No trollies should be allowed next to the shelf - all should be parked out of the way so people can only take what they can carry :D as Miss Piggy used to say, 'I never eat more than I can lift'
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all,

'I love comps' I think this is an interesting challenge and I'd like to try it, as my circumstances require a lot of belt tightening now.

I am setting myself some rules so I don't buy for the sake of it :

No processed/ready meals.
    Is it really cheaper?
    Going for protein, especially lean.
    Avoid anything naughty! (High in fat/sugar)
    Don't forget the reduced in the fresh fruit and veg aisles, and others - not just chiller!
    For goodness sake do a meal plan....

Looking forward to trying this - will focus on the supermarkets nearest (Mr T, Mr S)

Onwards and upwards....: )
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I live on mainly YS food and save lots of money. I don't meal plan I buy and eat whatever is cheap, except meat, fish, and processed ready meals. Mr T is my nearest, I went just before Christmas and got £63 worth of food for £7.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love ys food i get to try things i wouldnt normally buy especially when its 10p

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    went into Tesco today with a coupon for a free krispy Kreme donut, £1 off covent garden soup x2, so spent 34p on my shopping today!!
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all

Probably won't get to update this often - maybe weekly?

Did buy a lamb shank - was £4.95, reduced to £3.22, so only £1.73 saved. Bit extravagant at that price. However, this must have been a 'first reduction' as it was a morning visit.

Anyone got tips on best times for a Mr T's or Mr S, as they are my closest supermarkets? Might also be able to get to a Mr M's soon....

Thanks for any advice! : )
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
  • Ilona
    Options
    My best time at Mr T is just before 7pm, when they put the third and last sticker on. They start just after lunch with the first sticker, and 3pm for the 2nd sticker. I take a chance by going late, sometimes there isn't much left, other times there is loads. Meat I think is discounted early because it has to be sold asap. I don't buy meat.

You need to visit your chosen supermarket at different times, watch what the staff do, ask them when the yellow sticker trolley will come out. Each store has it's own system. Some will leave the items on the shelf so it's spot the stickers in every department. Some will put them all in one place so no hunting. Some will wheel them out from the back on a trolley, then it's grab what you want. It's all quite civilized at my store, a few people know the system. No pushing and shoving.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
  • Ilona
    Options
    A Mr T late shop tonight. arrived 6.50pm, left two hours later. Had to wait for the man to sticker it all up, there was such a lot of it. Just totaled it up, I paid £9.09 for £76.31 worth of food. Total shop was £28.86, I had a few other things as well, cat food,milk shake, cheese, eggs, soya and rice milk, fruit juice.

My yellow stickers were vegetables, fruit whole and prepared, salad, mushrooms, bread, hot cross buns, dips, yogurt, pasta salad, vegetable bakes, mushroom rice, potatoes. There was 5 or 6 people waiting, plenty for everyone. I shall give some of mine to friends. It really is worth making the effort to shop late and waiting if it is not ready.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills