PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord selling / sold house need some legal advice

Options

Comments

• Keto_Plastics
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    But that's my point, you were happy to be there though before they decided to sell. You were not forced to stay, let alone put a new kitchen, you could have given notice and moved just as you will ultimately have to do. Maybe you are forgetting to mention that you actually got a reduction in rent for putting in a new kitchen, who knows.

'Bully tactics' is a very subjective matter. Many use it when they are asked to do things they don't want to do or bury their head in the sand.

The point remains, you will stay longer, causing much trouble, but is this really going to benefit you? Will you be able to save a deposit during that time? Will you find it easier to find somewhere else to live, with a negative reference that will make it that much harder for you?

It's all very well wanting revenge, but in the end, you won't win, you'll still have to go and your actions might just make it even harder for you to find not only a good property but also a good future landlord.

Actually got a reduction ? how do You work that out ? Where did I say I did ? no where ? because I never did say it or even get a reduction in rent, for replacing the kitchen or anything else for that matter I still had to pay FULL RENT at the same time of spending in excess of a thousand pound for a new kitchen and then the time it took to replace / install it

From My posts does it really seem like I am placing My head in the sand ? No ?
    How do You work that one out ?
    Bully tactics they have used is by saying they will issue a S21 IF I DO NOT do what they want Me to do when they want Me to do it and also other ways
    When You reply MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE FACTS and stop pulling things out of thin air

Who said anything about wanting revenge ? Because I never did, all I would like is to be treated FAIRLY and for the things that they do to be LEGAL, something that has NOT happened so far
    They have acted Illegally and threatened and bullied (whether You accept that or not is Your problem NOT Mine)

Seems like You are a LL and have been through something similar with a previous tenant... and You have an Axe to grind on any and all people that remind You of that

Are You going to inject something helpful or constructive or are You purely here for that reason I just mentioned ? (IF I am right, certainly seems that way TBH)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fbaby said "maybe".

The points being made were that
    a) we only have ONE side of the story (there are always two)
    b) we may not have the FULL side of the story
    c) ultiately you WILL have to leave at some point
    d) you CHOSE to invest your own cash into the property - noone FORCED you

Having said that, you've received lots of advice on your legal rights. What you decide to do is then up to YOU.

Note: putting LOTS of capitalisations in your post makes you appear OVERLY defensive, antagonistic, and somewhat childish - just a hint for future reference.......
  • Keto_Plastics
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Fbaby said "maybe".

The points being made were that
    a) we only have ONE side of the story (there are always two)
    b) we may not have the FULL side of the story
    c) ultiately you WILL have to leave at some point
    d) you CHOSE to invest your own cash into the property - noone FORCED you

Having said that, you've received lots of advice on your legal rights. What you decide to do is then up to YOU.

Note: putting LOTS of capitalisations in your post makes you appear OVERLY defensive, antagonistic, and somewhat childish - just a hint for future reference.......

I see Your point, I just get a bit P'd off with people that assume certain things and do not even add anything constructive, that just seem to have an axe to grind for whatever reason, as it seemed FBaby does
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 January 2018 at 4:34PM
    Options
    Does the phrase cutting your nose off to spite your face mean anything to you?

Phone won't let me quote but I'm referring to your post a few back about being stubborn because of LLs attitude. Post 57.

If you can negotiate a good reference, your deposit back early and however much you want for the kitchen, then is it really worth the hassle of being deliberately obstructive?
    You're going to have to move at some point. Better to do it on your own terms than turfed out by a court with the subsequent impact on references. Plus the possibility of the LL continuing to be an @rse while he tries to get you out.
    Pride really isn't worth it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes I will be here for a few more months
    And yes I have considered various things, one of those being the situation of the landlord
    Due to the LL's decisions and actions is one of the reasons I am doing what I am

The LL and their agents are acting Illegally while trying to use bully tactics (But You do not care about that do You ? )
    IF the LL came to Me and treated Me with respect instead of trying to bully and threatening Me then My actions now might have been different

LL has tried selling the house before BUT NO ONE wanted it for the price he was asking because of the condition of it (and it was very bad)
    But now that I have fixed the place up and after he knows that He decided to place it back on the market BECAUSE I fixed it up with a new kitchen and so on (You don't care about that also do You ? )

I appreciate your LL is being an a-hole, but please don't cut off your nose to spite your face when you are in a good position to negotiate.

At the moment, I would be writing a firm but polite letter to your LL (not mentioning the letter) but stating that you installed a kitchen on the basis that it was a long term let, so the kitchen belongs to you and that upon your departure you will be removing the new kitchen and re-installing his old kitchen. Then state that if he wishes to purchase the new kitchen for a sum of £XXXX cash, you will be happy to leave it in place.

(This will then give you a deposit to find somewhere else...)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Op, you've mentioned the phases "bullying" and "bully tactics" several times. However, you have not explained what you think the landlord did to justify this description.

The landlord wanting you to leave so that he can sell the property is not "bullying". It is perfectly reasonable for the landlord to do that. There are any number of reasons why the landlord might want to sell the property.

Why do you say you thought you were staying in the property? Unless the landlord actually promised to let you stay in the property, I think it is unreasonable to be stubborn for the sake of it.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I see Your point, I just get a bit P'd off with people that assume certain things and do not even add anything constructive, that just seem to have an axe to grind for whatever reason, as it seemed FBaby does
    To be fair, my response was not so much directed at your posts but that of a poster who automatically advise people to make themselves helpless rather than looking at how they can make due of the situation to benefit them rather than thinking of action to punish the person who is putting them in the situation in the first place.

You seem to be letting your anger speak out and as such focusing on the past and present, forgetting about the future. Not minimizing your anger, and indeed, if you agreed with the LL to put a new kitchen a few months before being told the house was to be sold and got nothing for it, then this is morally despicable, but my point is that it doesn't change anything at all. You will have to move out, so your efforts should be 100% on trying to find somewhere else that will be a much better experience for you, not waiting helplessly thinking of ways to make things as hard as possible for the LL. In the end, they WILL get what they want, so make sure that you do to.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    By the way, don't know it's been mentioned already, but if you bought the kitchen, have receipt for it, and there was no written agreement with the LL that it would reduce the rent for X months as a result (or whatever else), then the kitchen is yours. Dismantle it and sell it on ebay!

I think this would be legal, but the experts can confirm.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    By the way, don't know it's been mentioned already, but if you bought the kitchen, have receipt for it, and there was no written agreement with the LL that it would reduce the rent for X months as a result (or whatever else), then the kitchen is yours. Dismantle it and sell it on ebay!

I think this would be legal, but the experts can confirm.
    As long as you put back the old kitchen exactly as it was. However I suspect the OP may not have carefully stored the old units in case.

You can't remove it and leave it without a kitchen.
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 January 2018 at 3:09PM
    Options
    You can leave no kitchen:. But Landlord will probably sue for losses (obsv).

But if old kitchen was clapped-out & worth nothing not much losses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure