PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I was in a hot air balloon for a flight once not so long ago and it was amazing all the fields of animals we went over reacted differently, dogs in gardens barked their heads off and chased us, horses ignored us entirely, sheep...well wherever the balloon was there was a gap and sheep departing from it in all directions at a rate of knots but best were cows who were intrigued and stood still just gazing straight up at us and all you could see was little cow nostrils, so cute!!!
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    growing old isn't all bad - it certainly beats the alternative :)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I would like to preen over the fact that despite my advancing age, my IT skills are far better than my 20 something DDs but I have a lowering suspicion that it is just laziness on their part.

Hey- ho! Off to transfer DD2's Itunes library from old computer to new - sadly she didn't make it through uni and on to self sufficiency before needing (and it was needing - this is dissertation term) a new one.

And then I need to do a spring clean of my computer. It's getting a bit slow. There was an article on the Daily Wail about an asteroid about to slam into Earth on February 16 (surprisingly,;) NASA don't agree, but then what do they know?:rotfl:). So I might wait and you never know I might not need to bother:D. Doomsday apocalypse here we come. Must get :EasterBun
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    At least I'm no longer 'rapidly ageing', now I'm just 'increasingly elderly' (sorry Mrs LW, I think we are actually the same age).

I'm so pleased that in the time between the children becoming independent, and OH and I retiring, we were able to save a little. Dental charges alone are frightening. We can still afford a car, and drive to and from appointments. For those out here in the country who must rely on NHS transport, the stress must be debilitating. I'm afraid the attitude of some NHS workers/providers is 'why are you complaining, you get it for free...'

It's that same question, we thought we were paying National Insurance, but where did all the money go...

I think the Govt would like us to believe that it was all borrowed money.....
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've noticed that with the mobile phone comes an increasing demand for my concierge services.
    For some reason a full time job does not appear to be incompatible with emailed shopping lists, and texts along the lines of have you got last night's Sherlock (even though we watched it together).
    That said, as I'm the techie one, I get "asked please" to sort their itunes, locate more music (they find CDs fun (& better sounding) in the car, but want the mp3 files for their devices) and find such a thing as cheap as possible on t'internet.
    (What I don't mention is that where possible, I'm running through a cashback website. The heating bill needs paying too.)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Prepping may be for those of a certain opinion but I find it actually helps out a great deal in day to day life to have useful things in hand that perhaps you don't use often. Just had a call from DD2 to ask if we had thin elastic as the Bear Hunt Party on Sunday looks to be washed out so they are making Bear Masks indoors instead! In my sewing box I have many old fashioned items including a wooden darning mushroom, thick waxed threads, upholstery needles, bodkins and more to the point a large roll of shearing elastic and some wide eyed darning needles that will take it and the waxed threads. Prepping may be seen as the domaine of the mentally odd but it's jolly useful sometimes when you get asked for obscurities!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I've just cleaned out a cupboard and found I have 5000 teabags:eek:
    I think I need to drink even more tea. I hope they don't go off taste..
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Prepping may be seen as the domaine of the mentally odd but it's jolly useful sometimes when you get asked for obscurities!

It always amazes me how the non preppers just assume we'll have what they need (& failed to prepare for), and show disappointment on the very rare ocassion we don't!

I decided many, many moons ago I'd much rather be comfortable, warm, watered & fed even at the cost of raised eyebrows / perplexed looks from family members (who later open the conversation with a "I was wondering if you happened to have ....)
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    I think I need to drink even more tea. I hope they don't go off taste..

More tea? I don't think I could (unless I cut out the coffees to alter the pattern.)

Tea bags should be ok, the multipacks with smaller foil bags inside certainly don't.

I have an open 240 pack and an unopened 240 pack in the cupboard above the kettle with a backup of 2 x 240s in the walk in larder. I'll buy another backup when the unopened cupboard pack gets started.

I always try to have 1 open & 1 unopened in the cupboard and 2 x backups - unless there's a good offer on then the larder stocks rise!

(Note to self - down to 3 x 200g jars of coffee in the larder - must buy some more.)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 27 January 2017 at 12:54PM
    Options
    I've six boxes of the coop 99 fairtrade tea bought in expectation of price rises - all cellophane sealed & tenderly packed. Fingers crossed they still taste grand when I finally have to break into the stash!
    Coffee? I'm hoping there's still a jar of instant in the shed or I'll be down to a small lock & lock of granules unspecified & visibly oxidising. Hmm, which to prioritise?

Thinking of having Useful Things, I'd *never* have thought of my grandmother as a Prepper - but when I inherited her odds & bits drawer, there were buttons, lengths of various sorts of lace, pyjama sashes (grandfather Hated elastic around his middle) and all sorts of intriguing oddities with which we've had loads of fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure