This Time I'm Really Going To Do It

Options

Comments

• Ali-OK
    Ali-OK Posts: 4,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Or the small ethnic grocery shops is another one to check out. Reminds me of the old fashioned shops with the fruit and veg out the front :)
    Back on the DFW Wagon:

CC - £3,300 on 0% til 04/2020
    CC - £4,500 on 0% til 02/2019
    Loan - £12,063.84 as at 4/1/18
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep, I agree with helibob and Ali - farmers markets can be really expensive. Even the farm the students run at the local college sells at city centre prices :( but markets, and ethnic shops, are usually the places to be :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    I looked into Costco but they are miles away.

At the start of the year, Costco was on my list of things to consider.

It seems Thurrock is the nearest, and by the time we'd gone through the tunnel and paid for petrol, it'd probably eat up any savings on the shopping.

From time to time I check Amazon for their bulk buys. There are a couple of things I've bought, such as Mr Goldie's shaving gels, which have been cheaper than the supermarket. But generally, when you do the maths, the supermarket price is the same or less for brands when they are on offer. Supermarket own brands usually work out cheaper. It just seems easier to buy from the supermarket in those instances.

I'm going to need to buy some spices soon, and I know I can get those cheaper online, so I'll get those from the Internet.

But generally, the supermarkets seem to be a good bet. We don't have Lidl nearby, and the Aldi is in a location I'm not keen on going to.
    So I stick to Sainsburys for the weekly shopping, and Asda online for bigger top ups. I compare the prices between the two, and go for the best price.

Would like to try the ethnic stores though, that's a good idea
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Great comments, thank you all :)
    No market nearby that I can get to - the nearest is in a town that I haven't really been to in years so I think I'll give that a miss. Goldiegirl Thurrock was my nearest Costco too so I ruled it out on the basis too far, tunnel and petrol fees would cancel out any savings.
    Love the idea of ethnic shops, I cook a lot of currys and so on so I bet that other stuff like spices and coconut oil might be cheaper there too. Not sure where there are any in this part of Kent - but - one to watch out for.
    Amazon bulk buys was interesting. I'll have to explore that at some point.
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • DedicatedDFW
    DedicatedDFW Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    Watty fab fab news!! well done to you and Mr Watty paying off the mortgage :j:j:j

and thank you for your lovely post on my thread :)
    CC1:T £[STRIKE]2531[/STRIKE] £1460
    MORTGAGE OVERPAYMENTS: £10575.20 Target £12,100
    MF Date: [STRIKE]August 2042[/STRIKE] May 2035
    Declutter 1000 things by Xmas 2015! 53/1000
  • norfolkdream
    Options
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    Hi Watty,

I've not read your diary but had to follow you over from another diary when I saw your signature.

Massive congrats - that is a massive turnaround in 2yrs - how you did it is your fortune and hardwork - you still crossed the finish line and in record time too. Well done :T

DB

I did exactly the same as above and saw you had just become MF and had to come and read a few pages (more than a few!) to see how you had done it. I am in awe! well done.
    You must work really hard with your business and it has paid off ten-fold!
    MFW 16 No 33
    2016 OP Paid/Target 2063/£2063 (100%) COMPLETE
    Mortgage Free - Apr 2016 -DONE!:j
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Watty1 wrote: »
    Love the idea of ethnic shops, I cook a lot of currys and so on so I bet that other stuff like spices and coconut oil might be cheaper there too. Not sure where there are any in this part of Kent - but - one to watch out for.

If Gravesend is easy to get to, I reckon there'd be loads of ethnic shops there.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Watty1
    Options
    I was thinking Gravesend Goldie. I'm thinking of making it a bit of a trip as there is a temple there that does tours as well so would be a nice afternoon out.

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Watty1
    Options
    Thanks Dobbibill and Norfolk Dream :)

I'm not so sure about the "working hard". Its gone mid-day and I've mucked out and taken Mr Handsome for a potter around the lanes so far today. Hardly working hard.

Although the working hard comment does touch a nerve. Something I've been coming to terms with over the last couple of weeks is that in the past I've spent a lot of time working and in the last few years in renovating the house and building the business and as a result I have few friends.

Now of course I have friends - but - I've realised just how small that circle is and I'm sad I don't actually have any family. Well I do have family, I have a sister and two nieces but my sister will have nothing to do with me (family history stuff) and thats it. Somehow I seem to have grown up to late to have a family of my own, and never realised how much of my earlier years were wasted in work.
    Somewhat reflective.

• Luckyinlife
    Luckyinlife Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Options
    Family issues we all them watty :[ i myself only have 5 family members i have in my life weekly and the rest of the family i dont really class as family

personally i enjoy having a close nit of friends 1 or 2 really close friends

work life balance is priceless iv worked 80 hours a week and iv work 20 i know how much diffrant my life is when i work 20 more time to enjoy life and do the things i love with or without the family and friends

dont be to hard on yourself youll be surprised how many people are in the same boat
    Mortgage--- [STRIKE]£67700 March 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65221 April 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64983 July 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£64780 sept 15[/STRIKE] Remortgage [STRIKE]£67295 oct 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66599 Nov 15[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£65878.73 Dec 15[/STRIKE][STRIKE] £64834 1st Jan 16[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Feb 16 £64,511.89[/STRIKE][STRIKE] March 16 £64,056.40[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]April 16 £62550[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]May 16 £62,396.20[/STRIKE] Feb 17 £60.800
    Emergency fund 23k
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure