Reclaim lost assets for free discussion

Options

Comments

• peter_s_2
    Options
    I've had a letter from Premier Assets Research claiming they know of an amount owing to me. I've managed to find out what I think it is (without paying them anything), but now wonder if I'm going to get charged by someone else nonetheless. The assets in question are "old" o2 shares which I believe are worth £2 each, but may be subject to a 25p per share admin fee on redemption. Does anybody know? Much obliged if someone can help
  • gingerdog
    Options
    I responded to the link on reclaim lost accounts etc. I entered my details and in a month I received a letter from a building society claiming I had an account with over £20k in it. I was a bit suspicious and mentioned it to my dad who looked at the letter and discovered it was his private savings account.
    It doesn`t have my name as an account holder and it is under a different address. My dad is fuming and is lodging a complaint, does anyone know where he stands on this?
  • gingerdog
    Options
    Martin,
    I used your website and logged into a site which traces old accounts in my name.
    I received a letter saying I had an account with skipton Building Society with over £20k in it. I was quite surprised by this and mentioned it to my dad who says even when I was younger I never had a Skipton savings account.
    He checked his records and it turns out it is his account and his money. He is not happy about the fact the bank has sent me information on how much money he has in this account and how easy the details were sent to me.
    Please can you give me any advice on where we stand on this as my father wants more than an apology.
  • AVENUE
    AVENUE Posts: 173 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My Father Died in January. Since then i have found an Old Account Book from National and Provincial Building Society in his name. The Pass Book indicates over £20,000 in there, but the last entry was in 1994. The book has nothing on it to indicate it was every closed or transfered to Abbey when they took over Nat Prov! I know that my Dad had one or two Abbey accounts, which were closed in around the year 2000. Abbey have said that they cannot find any trace of the National And Provincial Account or of any Abbey Accounts he held. I still have the National and Provincial Passbook and have provided them with the number on this account. I have no details at all, of the Abbey Accounts he held. I have written to Abbey about 5 times now, and although they say they have continued to check, they cannot come up with any accounts that my Dad had. I am my Fathers only Son and executor of his estate, how do i now go about getting diffinitive proof that there is no funds left in this account. Abbey say that all National and Provincial Customers were given the option to either close their accounts or take out accounts with Abbey when they took over. They say that they assume therefore that my Dad must have closed this account. However there is no evidence on the passbook that this account has in fact been closed. Where do i legally stand with this. Do Abbey have to provide proof that the account was closed, and when that was, and what happens if they cant? I really dont know what steps to take next. Please can someone help me? Many Thanks.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    gingerdog wrote: »
    I responded to the link on reclaim lost accounts etc. I entered my details and in a month I received a letter from a building society claiming I had an account with over £20k in it. I was a bit suspicious and mentioned it to my dad who looked at the letter and discovered it was his private savings account.
    It doesn`t have my name as an account holder and it is under a different address. My dad is fuming and is lodging a complaint, does anyone know where he stands on this?

Report this to the Information Commissioner?
    I thought they would have requested proof of id before offering this precise info?
    Did the building society admit to you there had been a mistake?
  • tracywoods
    Options
    When my Dad died last year I found an old share certificate in with all of his paperwork. After many phone calls to different companies I was told the shares were being held by Lloyds TSB dissenters. I contacted them and was told the claim would be dealt with under the small estates procedure and thay would send me the forms.

I then received a letter and a small estate declaration and indemnity form to fill in from Eqiniti stating that they are taking over all business from Lloyds TSB's registrar's division.

The letter states that their is £580.10 cash, 16 deutsche post CDIs, £98.13 unclaimed dividends.

I know nothing about shares so could someone please tell me what it means by CID's and unclaimed dividends?

The letter also states "The Small Estate and Indemnity Form needs to be countersigned on behalf of Royal & Sun Alliance plc. We will be happy to arrange this for premium of £34.50. Please send a cheque for £69.75 made out to Equiniti Limited, to cover both this and the £35.25 administration fee".

Is this genuine or are they just trying to get money out of me for something I could do myself? I especially don't understand why the form needs to be countersigned by Royal & Sun Alliance, as far as I'm aware none of the shares held are in that company.

At the top of the letter it states:

Parent Company: Deutsche Post AG: Scheme of arrangement for Exel plc: Formely Ocean Group plc.

Offer for: Exel plc: NFC plc.

The share certificate which I have is NFC.

If anyone can offer any advise I would be most grateful as I received the letter and forms back in October 07, I had put it to oneside with the intention of looking into it and forgotten about them, I have just come across them again.
  • megsmaw06
    megsmaw06 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a contact email address for the Royal Bank of Scotland's lost account department?

A few months ago my dad found an old savings book of mine. I took it to my local RBS branch where they gave me a form to fill in (basically the form version of the lost assets website BBA). As I had the sort code & account number of the account and the fact I sent to directly to RBS, I thought it would be quick to reclaim.

The only letter I have recieved has been from the BBA which was in July. I tried contacting them yesterday, but the email I got back said that they just pass the info on to RBS and didn't know what was happening to my claim.

So, does anyone know how I can contact RBS to see what is happening? Their website has no numbers/email addresses to contact them about lost accounts!

Thanks if you can help!!
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Might be better asking this on the banking thread if you get no reply.
  • cheapskate101
    Options
    tracywoods wrote: »
    When my Dad died last year I found an old share certificate in with all of his paperwork. After many phone calls to different companies I was told the shares were being held by Lloyds TSB dissenters. I contacted them and was told the claim would be dealt with under the small estates procedure and thay would send me the forms.

I then received a letter and a small estate declaration and indemnity form to fill in from Eqiniti stating that they are taking over all business from Lloyds TSB's registrar's division.

The letter states that their is £580.10 cash, 16 deutsche post CDIs, £98.13 unclaimed dividends.

I know nothing about shares so could someone please tell me what it means by CID's and unclaimed dividends?

The letter also states "The Small Estate and Indemnity Form needs to be countersigned on behalf of Royal & Sun Alliance plc. We will be happy to arrange this for premium of £34.50. Please send a cheque for £69.75 made out to Equiniti Limited, to cover both this and the £35.25 administration fee".

Is this genuine or are they just trying to get money out of me for something I could do myself? I especially don't understand why the form needs to be countersigned by Royal & Sun Alliance, as far as I'm aware none of the shares held are in that company.

At the top of the letter it states:

Parent Company: Deutsche Post AG: Scheme of arrangement for Exel plc: Formely Ocean Group plc.

Offer for: Exel plc: NFC plc.

The share certificate which I have is NFC.

If anyone can offer any advise I would be most grateful as I received the letter and forms back in October 07, I had put it to oneside with the intention of looking into it and forgotten about them, I have just come across them again.

I've got the same problem with 100 Lloyds TSB shares that my father had before he died.

They are only worth around £170 or so but Equiniti are asking for £69 to change his name to mine on the list?

It seems a lot.

Is this correct or is it just a company taking advantage of people who have lost their relatives?
  • Wellen
    Options
    I've got the same problem with 100 Lloyds TSB shares that my father had before he died.

They are only worth around £170 or so but Equiniti are asking for £69 to change his name to mine on the list?

It seems a lot.

Is this correct or is it just a company taking advantage of people who have lost their relatives?

This is correct info and fees but small estates is only used when there is no probate. And as for the counter-signature fee thats in place as an insurance to cover the risk the registrar is taking by transferring the shares over to someone else. Hope that helps.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback