Options
12346»

Comments

• ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 February 2018 at 10:41AM
    Options
    Probably too late, but never put anything negative in writing in a resignation letter.

Everyone knows, or ought to know, that it is stupid to put anything negative in writing in a resignation letter. It can't do you any good and it might do you harm.

It's the same as bad mouthing your current employer at an interview. It doesn't matter if it's true. The simple thing is you should know better than to say it, true or not. If you don't know better than to say it, anyone who finds out you said it will doubt your judgement - even if they know, 100%, that what you said was true.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you started your new job yet, LB? Hope it's going well.
  • Living_Bate
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    Have you started your new job yet, LB? Hope it's going well.

Just coming to the end of my second week in the new job. Everything has unfolded very nicely indeed. Everyone seems polar opposite to my last place. Really friendly and sociable. We had a day out at the football last Saturday as match ball sponsors. Wined and dined and made to feel valued.

Got word back from my old place that the chairman read my letter and said good riddance. Along with some expletives.

I know its not advisable to leave negative remarks in a resignation letter, but i honestly feel my circumstances did not warrant a standard letter. I feel quite proud that not only have i improved my situation, i have also had a chance to have my say and get my point across. I didn't have to bite my tongue anymore.

Obviously every circumstance is different so its not always going to work out like this for everyone. But fortune favours the brave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure