PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Sylvan
    Sylvan Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Baileys Babe - did you find at any point that you could only shuffle sideways, like a crab? That was the weirdest part for me:confused:

mummy2mygirls - most of the big supermarkets have those disabled buggy-type things ("martcarts") with big baskets at the front. You just have to ask the greeter or at the customer service desk. They don't move very fast but then neither do you with SPD! The assistants will then help you pack and take your shopping to the car (since you're not allowed to use them outside).
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.
    Money talks, but chocolate SINGS

"I used to be snow white but I drifted" (A seasonal quote from the incomparable Miss West)
  • leed
    leed Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moniker wrote: »
    TrixieB wrote: »
    Can I ask what you are all going to do with the money you will hopefully have left over from the GC - treat yourself? Pay off debts? Put it towards a holiday? Xmas 2009?

I'm going to put anything I have left over into my savings account for holiday spending money in August.[/QUOTE

At the end of each month I transfer any underspend into my cash ISA - that way I am not tempted to splurge and I can see it making a real difference to my savings. It gives me encouragement to keep going with the challenge when things are hard.

Moniker

I like the idea of putting extra away at end of month in ISA - as I don't know how much I spend on stuff each month I am just keeping a tally and will then try to reduce next month.
  • seabright
    Options
    NSD today - had no choice really, we live on the top of a very steep hill, so whilst we may have been able to get down the hill, no guarentee of getting back up. OH therefore off work and at home with me.

Lunch: 2 cuppa soups - finished off a box of muligatawny that we didn't really like
    Dinner: HM pizza (using left over stuff from the fridge, mainly)
    Slowcooker for tomorrow: Bolognase sauce
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TheBees wrote: »
    ... JUST WONDERED CAN YOU FREEZE MOZZARELLA CHEESE? IF SO WOULD YOU TAKE IT OUT OF THE PACKET AND REMOVE ALL THE LIQUID OR FREEZE AS IT IS?

I just throw mine in the freezer in the packet ;) this thread might help Mozarella - freezing
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Floxxie
    Floxxie Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could I join in please? I'm still in shock from adding up January's food bill which amounted to about 10 people's monthly targets on here :rotfl:

Did a storecupboard list yesterday and came to the conclusion that having watched the programme about cheap food in the UK, I had taken it to extremes as I have 62 x 90% meat sausages in the freezer. I also found 2 lots of mince but that is it for meat!

Any suggestions of meals with sausages in them? Thought of sausage, mash and veg and toad in the hole and pf course sausage sandwiches!

Have loads of cheese and eggs in so am going to aim for £100 this month.

Floxxie
    Mortgage start September 2015 £90000 MFiT #06
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I do sausage cassole (using a packet mix from Mr A), and also serve grilled sausages with (stuffed) tortellini topped with mascarpone & cheese pasta sauce (the latter being one of my son's favourite meals).
    Cheryl
  • timetobedebtfree
    Options
    Hi,

Can you put me down for £200 for the challenge this month?
    Jan 09 [strike]£17965.79 [/strike]:eek: Mar 09 £17765.20
    Lose Weight 24 - 0 / 25 lbs
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :money:
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Floxxie wrote: »
    Any suggestions of meals with sausages in them? Thought of sausage, mash and veg and toad in the hole and pf course sausage sandwiches!

Floxxie
    How about skinning a few of the sausages, makig into small meatballs, frying off with some onion then adding some passata or chopped toms, stir through cooked pasta? Could also then finish off in the oven with a bit of cheese on top - Tuscan Pasta Bake anyone?

Just popped on to update sig; went to Mr M's (nearest) as no milk/cat food in house & hungry moggies, not sure if going to be snowed in so thought I better get down there. I thought the shelves would be empty but not so - perhaps folks decided not to bother going out. Probably would be some bargains if you went just before closing. Got some of the 50p 1kg bags of onions & finally found passata in stock for the first time in ages.....Bettabuy at that - & at a reasonable 32p!! Prices are really weird though - Mr M's cat food more expensive for 6 cans now than Whiskas????? bonkers..

BTW if I save any money on the GC it will be coming off the CC debts - finally found the courage to use the snowball debt calculator....seemed appropriate today eh:rotfl:
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Floxxie wrote: »
    Could I join in please? I'm still in shock from adding up January's food bill which amounted to about 10 people's monthly targets on here :rotfl:

Did a storecupboard list yesterday and came to the conclusion that having watched the programme about cheap food in the UK, I had taken it to extremes as I have 62 x 90% meat sausages in the freezer. I also found 2 lots of mince but that is it for meat!

Have loads of cheese and eggs in so am going to aim for £100 this month.

Floxxie

I like to cut them open and fry the meat with fennel seeds. You can have it with whatever you like... omelettes, scrambled eggs etc.. for your budget but \I usually do it with plain pasta on the side
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Sylvan
    Sylvan Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sausage and Rice Bake Floxxie.
    Cut the cooked sausages into rounds and layer them in a dish with fried onions, a tin of tomatoes and cooked rice. Top it with cheese sauce and bake it for half an hour.

I think that's all - I'll check tomorrow - haven't made it for ages... can't seem to keep cooked sausages long enough in this house for some strange reason.

Any money we save is going towards doing up the house. We need some more double glazing for a start <brrr>. And I've set my annual budget at a rate that means we'll save (compared to what we used to spend) half the amount we've spent so far on making the garden crippled-gardener friendly so I can get back to growing our own veggies.

I'm ashamed of myself today though. DS4 wanted us to take him to a town with a station on Saturday so he could get a train to Newcastle. Having done so we realised actually taking him all the way would have been a paltry 8 miles more, so on Sunday we picked him up from his friend's flat - and it was SO near the Indian shop - and it's been SO long since we went there (no time last couple of times I've been to the hospital). £40 in 20 minutes:eek:. That's not a good hourly rate... (and it didn't even include a 20kg bag of rice 'cos they didn't have any!)
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.
    Money talks, but chocolate SINGS

"I used to be snow white but I drifted" (A seasonal quote from the incomparable Miss West)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure