Hogging right lane

Options

Comments

• Head_The_Ball
    Options
    HiToAll wrote: »
    what you do in that situation, assuming you were in 6th gear, is change down from 6th to 4th without braking and then tootle along at at least 10 miles an hour slower than the speed you were doing. Also, do not signal at any point in the manoeuvre.

I hope that is tongue in cheek as, if meant seriously, it is a very poor bit of advice.
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2016 at 12:56PM
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    .Nothing in the op suggests she did anything wrong. She was doing the correct speed, she was in the correct lane ready for an upcoming turnoff...

My guess is that the OP was probably only doing about 35 mph, (speedometers usually under read) moved over far too soon before the planned right turn (inexperience and lack of confidence) and then stayed in the overtaking lane without indicating right. That will irritate many other drivers and provoke some into road rage.

I emphasize the word 'guess'. I accept that I might be wrong.

We were all beginners once and he/she, like most of the rest of us, will learn with experience how to avoid such situations.

OP, please don't try to police the road or speed limits yourself. You have no idea who is driving behind you. It might have been a doctor rushing to an emergency. It might have been an unmarked police car although they would have probably used their hidden blues and twos. It might have been a nutter who would deliberately ram you and injure or even kill you.

Don't provoke road rage in others. There is enough of that about already.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 October 2016 at 4:28PM
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    My favourite annoying thing is when I'm approaching a parked car on my side, and I can see another vehicle coming towards me. A quick mental calculation and I know we will meet at the car, so I ease off a bit, but they slow down too, so the closer I get the slower I go, until I stop, and so do they, then they flash their lights and wave for ne to go through.
    Arrrrrrrrrrgh!!!! if they had just kept going I'd have been half way to work by now, so I'm annoyed at the time wasted and having to mess with the gears and stuff, but they think that they have done me a favour. :mad::mad:

There are a whole set of rules about situations where the road width is restricted below what is required for you and the oncoming vehicle to pass each other safely.

If there are no road markings to the contrary, and the obstruction is something simple like a parked vehicle, then the person on the same side of the road (as the obstruction) should usually stop. If the obstruction is on a hill, then the person coming downhill should usually stop.
  • wanderlust23
    Options
    My guess is that the OP was probably only doing about 35 mph, (speedometers usually under read) moved over far too soon before the planned right turn (inexperience and lack of confidence) and then stayed in the overtaking lane without indicating right. That will irritate many other drivers and provoke some into road rage.

I emphasize the word 'guess'. I accept that I might be wrong.

We were all beginners once and he/she, like most of the rest of us, will learn with experience how to avoid such situations.

OP, please don't try to police the road or speed limits yourself. You have no idea who is driving behind you. It might have been a doctor rushing to an emergency. It might have been an unmarked police car although they would have probably used their hidden blues and twos. It might have been a nutter who would deliberately ram you and injure or even kill you.

Don't provoke road rage in others. There is enough of that about already.
    I see the nonsense about me "policing" the roads has been mentioned yet again. There's also a lot of people that are assuming I moved over "half a mile" before my turn. Both are untrue. I simply moved across at a time that I believed to be most safe and appropriate based on traffic conditions and proximity to my turn (which was a cut out for those who were wondering). I mention his speed because his decision to flash me was based on the fact he was speeding and I was not. If he was obeying the speed limit for the road, I wouldn't have been dangerously tailgated and flashed at. I accept that it might have been a good idea to have indicated a little early to let him know my intentions but I'm not completely convinced it would have changed anything. You say I have no idea who is driving behind me and not to provoke road rage but the same could be said for the driver in front. His aggressive tailgating and flashing may one day provoke someone into slamming their brakes on.

Having read everyone's replies, I've come to the conclusion it's all a matter of perception. Perhaps if the driver behind was a passenger in my car, he would have seen the situation differently and vice versa.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Perhaps if the driver behind was a passenger in my car, he would have seen the situation differently and vice versa.
    Sounds as though he nearly was!
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    According to wikipedia flashing the headlights is often a warning to others of speed traps...

When traffic in the opposing direction is flashing, yes, that's possible. I've seen it often in France, not so much here where ISTR people have been prosecuted for it (or similar warnings).

Being flashed from behind is usually indicative of a numpty who wants to pass, or, more rarely something wrong with your car.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Being flashed from behind is usually indicative of a numpty who wants to pass, or, more rarely something wrong with your car.

The only legitimate use of flashing headlights is "to let other road users know that you're there" (HC).

It is perfectly reasonable to use them when you come up behind someone driving in lane 2 when lane 1 is empty, as (in the absence of any signal or other evidence) it is reasonable to assume that he may not be a very good driver and be unaware of your presence.

To be fair to the OP, the guilty parties are usually nearer the end of their driving career than the beginning.:wink:
  • Cornucopia
    edited 7 October 2016 at 5:08PM
    Options
    We're stuck here between what's correct and what actually happens in practice.

It's ISN'T correct to flash someone in the circumstances you describe. However, as I said, it's "usually indicative of a numpty". Making someone aware of your presence is an entirely different, and much more limited range of possibilities.

There is no right to overtake. There's especially no right to overtake if you are speeding. There's no legal or moral basis on which to cherry-pick which laws/rules to obey and which not to obey.

We've had all this before on this forum...
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    We're stuck here between what's correct and what actually happens in practice.

It's ISN'T correct to flash someone in the circumstances you describe. However, as I said, it's "usually indicative of a numpty". Making someone aware of your presence is an entirely different, and much more limited range of possibilities.

How can it possibly ever be wrong to make another road user aware of your presence?

In these circumstances, where it appears obvious that they are unaware, it could be argued that not to do so would be failing in one's duty of care.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    errr of course the oncoming driver is not thinking the same about you.........

Of course they aren't, they are doing this to annoy me :D

The obstruction is on my side, if we collide head on it is mostly my fault, there is no Earthly reason for them to do anything except carry on. :mad:
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure