And now the fuse is lit...

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A helpful GP is worth their weight in gold. It's great if you think you've landed a good'un :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Wammery wrote: »
    It sound scary

What sounds scary?
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    A helpful GP is worth their weight in gold. It's great if you think you've landed a good'un :)

I'm not quite that confident yet. But it certainly was a change to have someone real answer the phone straight away when I rang (the first time it was engaged). The GP seemed nice enough as well - though with a sample size of 1, it's possible I just hit lucky.

Previous practice was: "You are call 754 of 2,178. Your will-to-live is on a bearing of 2-1-8 and a distance of 714 miles, rising to an altitude of 37,000 feet... You've been on this phone way past the time any appointments will still be left... Your call is important to us..."

Once you take into account "practice groups" and catchment areas - "Yes we serve your town, but not your part of your town..." there is surprising little choice in GP practices in a lot of areas.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    So...I've had a mortgage for a little over 1 month and for one payment...and the interest rate goes up...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    So...I've had a mortgage for a little over 1 month and for one payment...and the interest rate goes up...

I have no doubt you have planned for this Mr Z.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I am sure that you are on a fix.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • ZTD
    Options
    Butti wrote: »
    I have no doubt you have planned for this Mr Z.

Why do you think that? I'm surely not giving out "organised" vibes am I? :eek::eek::shocked::eek::eek:

It's still irritating though... :p
    beanielou wrote: »
    I am sure that you are on a fix.

No, I'm not. I looked at the fixes and decided that a fixed 3 years at 1.75% followed by a variable 4.5% (:eek:) was far less preferable to a variable of 1.85% for 25 years.

It actually doesn't end up as that, as it's an offset anyway.

To be fair, I did expect this, as I am of the opinion that Carney is a moron.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    What sounds scary?

The impact of the interest rate rise on the cost of :spam:

I would like to be optimistic that we're in a world where interest rates will normalise and things will all tick along merrily, but reading articles about UK plc's !!!! poor productivity and the joy of Brexit still to come, I cannot help but feel that we are going to go the other way soon enough.
  • ZTD
    Options
    The impact of the interest rate rise on the cost of :spam:

I would like to be optimistic that we're in a world where interest rates will normalise

Oooh hell no!

If interest rates normalise, we'll be looking around us and saying "This handbasket gives a really comfortable ride." and "Does anyone smell smoke?"

These are the days of putting off the day of reckoning for as long as humanly possible. Normal is dead.
    and things will all tick along merrily, but reading articles about UK plc's !!!! poor productivity and the joy of Brexit still to come, I cannot help but feel that we are going to go the other way soon enough.

I would act defensivly about brexit, i.e. not get into loads of debt etc, but I would be very hesitant to make predictions about it. After all, the only real thing which actually happened after the vote (as opposed to "the great and the good" shrieking around like young girls meeting a spider) was that the Italian banking system promptly caved in.

Nobody predicted that one.

What makes it even worse in terms of prediction is that many things are dependent on "installed" bureaucrats who don't have to listen to people who work for a living. People in fantasy land make poor decisions. What may crimp their style is losing preferential access to the capital markets, which Carney made a very veiled hint about a couple of weeks ago.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    Options
    And the house I was gazumped from is still up for sale...

Schadenfreude... :whistle:
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport