IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Witness Statement

Options
1235»

Comments

• Soddingtypical
    Options
    What does PD stand for in loadsofchildren's doc. please?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    What does PD stand for in loadsofchildren's doc. please?

Haven't gone to the doc, but it's likely to be Practice Direction.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Practice_direction
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry, Lamilad suggesting emailing the judge

"Correct! You should either email the judge ..."
    If you were going to email the judge you would send the email to the court FAO: Judge xxxxxx or FAO the presiding judge in claim no.xxxxxxx

You can't email a judge directly. Coupon mad is right - you should try speak to the judge in person if at all possible
  • Soddingtypical
    Soddingtypical Posts: 39 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2017 at 3:14PM
    Options
    I got costs! An advocate for the other side turned up and approached me before the hearing to say I didn't need to go in and did I accept the discontinuance but I did not engage with her and just said that I wanted to see the judge anyway.

The judge started with the discontinuance and asked if the reason it was being discontinued was because it was pre 2012 and therefore there was no case to bear if I wasn't admitting to being the driver (I wasn't the driver!). The advocate just went along with it and said it was but don't think she even had many details. I think she was expecting not to go into court.
    The judge had received my costs schedule and said that he would go through it. He didn't give much away and, at points, seemed like he was veering towards judging against the costs being awarded but systematically went through the costs schedule to which the advocate argued for every point. The judge said that, despite the fact the email had been sent yesterday, that didn't give me enough time to change leave. He wanted proof and I had printed out the email with the time stamp on so that satisfied him. The advocate argued that I couldn't claim for loss of earnings because I could have not come but the judge said that if I had not come, I wouldn't have been able to claim for costs. He also asked her why she had come if they had not expected me to come and said "what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander".

When he got onto the additional costs, he asked why the claim was unreasonable and I stumbled a bit here with nerves but managed to get across that there had never been a case to answer because not only was it pre 2012 which the solicitor knew was pre POFA but also because I had actually bought a ticket. He actually went through the evidence at this point and saw the PDT log and looked a little bit annoyed. He said "there isn't a weak claim that needs strong litigation to win, there is no claim at all to answer" or something very similar. He asked the advocate to comment on it and she said that she had just been told to come to court to discontinue the claim and because "the claim has been discontinued to this is immaterial" or something similar.

Anyway, he awarded me loss of earnings and travel and 3 hours litigant in person. I had claimed for £20 postage, photocopying and printing but he only awarded £5 as he said I hadn't needed to do copies for everyone. A grand total of £175.

Thanks so much everyone for your help. Thanks to Coupon-mad, Lamilad and Umkomaas - really couldn't have done it without you and probably would have just paid up. I'll start a new thread with all the documentation on from beginning to end so other people can use it they want it. I'm very behind with my own work after spending so long on this but will put it up at the end of the week when I removed all personal information from it.

Thanks again. xxx
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Great feedback, ST and good you received some costs - but rarely ever enough to cover all your time spent in fighting this. Disappointingly though, never enough to cause a PPC to think twice about launching exactly the same case against the next unsuspecting victims, most of whom will meekly stump up to avoid court.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Fantastic, you got £175! Well done!! What a brilliant update!
    He also asked her why she had come if they had not expected me to come and said "what is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander".

What goes around, comes around. Hahaha!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure