Cancel BT in contract after cashback

Options
I ordered BT phone line + broadband on 13/03/16 for £25.49 per month with £136 cashback (via Topcashback)
It was installed on 30/03/16
I have received the full amount of cashback already!
Today I got a letter from BT informing me of the 3rd July price increase, implying I could cancel my contract within 30 days without penalty.
If that's true, I would be better switching to PlusNet at £16.99/month with £80 cashback
However, the BT T&C's said:
Our prices and terms may change at any time while you're in contract with us
We'll let you know about any important changes before they happen

Does anyone know if the cancellation is free & whether it is affected by the Cashback received?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Cashback is normally quite separate (ie Topcashback say they pay you, not the merchant)

BT would normally feel safe from any cashback "abuse" by having you tied in for 12 months, but as you point out, you can leave without penalty!
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ive just done this, no issues at all
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP if you're going to do this, just make sure the cash is out of the cashback account and in your bank account before switching. I've not experienced this many times before but in the past I've had a cashback amount go through, be payable and then be deducted when I went on to claim it because I'd taken back the item (actually 2 days after it arrived so no idea why it eventually went on to be "paid" and then withdrawn again not long after. For me it wasn't a huge amount, think it was around £3, but the fact it can happen (can be subtracted after reaching payment status) would now make me make sure I have the money in my hand before thinking it was safe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure