PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hobbies/Crafts and MoneySaving ...

Options

Comments

• debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tanya,
    You don't say what style of skirt it is but wouldn't it look a bit odd having just a patch over your bum? If it is quite a simple straight style you could try putting something like velvet or satin ribbon down all the seams, you know make a bit of a feature rather than looking like a repair ;)
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can hand sew really well and mend all our clothes this way but sewing machines beat me constantly. I'd love to be able to use one, I need new curtains and cushion covers but I can never seem to get the tension right and the thread always pulls itself out of the needle before I get more than a few centimetres, I ended up selling a brand new machine once because I just couldn't use it :(
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Tanya_3
    Options
    debbym wrote:
    Hi Tanya,
    You don't say what style of skirt it is but wouldn't it look a bit odd having just a patch over your bum? If it is quite a simple straight style you could try putting something like velvet or satin ribbon down all the seams, you know make a bit of a feature rather than looking like a repair ;)

That's true, hehe . . . I think I'll try superglue ;)
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    moggins wrote:
    I can hand sew really well and mend all our clothes this way but sewing machines beat me constantly. I'd love to be able to use one, I need new curtains and cushion covers but I can never seem to get the tension right and the thread always pulls itself out of the needle before I get more than a few centimetres, I ended up selling a brand new machine once because I just couldn't use it :(

Used to happen to me too until someone pointed out I was threading the needle back to front! Never bought a ready-made curtain since.
  • moggins
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was it really that simple? Which way do you thread it then?

There was a second hand machine in Cash Converters today, if I could only find someone to teach me how to use it!

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you tried local colleges or schools to see if there are any basic tailoring or any classes that involve sewing?

If you attended for even a month or so it should be enough to get you started.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • moggins
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We do have but most of the 'crafty' type courses seem to be located in the satellite colleges which are all about 20 miles away from me. I will pop into the main college campus to see if they are running anything local to me this year, thanks for the advice :)

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    moggins

Here is a site which has instructions on how to thread a variety of sewing machines: http://www.sewusa.com/ it might be useful if you get the machine you saw 2nd hand.

Free (online) Beginner Sewing Lessons can be found here: http://www.sew-whats-new.com/sewinglessons/ plus they have a projects page which might tickle your creative juices :D

Here is a website with some great projects (check out the Kids Projects area) which are suitable for beginners and intermediates: http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/enthusiast.html

This site has some cute projects too: http://www.aokcorral.com/projects/how2jan2002.htm (look on the left margin for the link to all projects) Not all the projects are for sewing, other crafts are featured too; so grab a coffee and a sarnie before you start looking! ;)

Tips: When I learned to use a machine, I began with simple projects (a laundry bag; a kaftan; an A-line skirt) Choose a project that you will enjoy trying; do not buy your fabric!! Go to a charity shop and buy a duvet cover/sheet and use that as your fabric ... you won't feel so scared of cutting it up "just in case" you fear making a mistake.

For window treatments, tie backs, cushions, try looking here: http://www.alternative-windows.com/

HTH :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    Kath, I love the shopping bag, dragon cushion and the apron! If you ever set up a mail order company, can I be on the mailing list please? :D

My only skill is cooking. I can't knit or sew very well at all. I'd love to be able to sew and would be terrified of a sewing machine. Haven't used one of those since I was in 3rd year at high school. :o
  • stellagypsy
    Options
    Thanks Queenie, the alternative window site is great, I want to make some roman blinds for my revamped kitchen (got to revamp it first of course, that is this summer's project!). They are so expensive to buy.

Stella
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport