IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstones CCJ

Options
A couple of years ago I received a letter from Euro Car Parks demanding £100 for parking in an unauthorised area. It was somewhere I had never been and the photographic "evidence" sent was a dark photograph with my registration on. It could have been taken anywhere. I immediately thought it was a scam.

I called the company to advise them of the above. I never heard anything from them again.

Then last month I had a letter from Gladstones Solicitors re the above threatening court action. I called them and advised them of the above. I said the photo evidence was nothing but a dark photo with my number pate on. They said they didn't have access to the photo! But if I didn't pay £150 they would take me to court. Then after the two week notice period a court summons duly arrived, now for £250!

I filled it in, advising the court that again I wasn't there and that the only evidence was a dark photo with my number plate on and gave details of what had happened in the time since.

This was a couple of weeks ago. I've heard from the court to say they have referred my defence to Gladstones which they have 28 days to reply to, which as yet they haven't done. I'm a little nervous about the whole thing but I will fight it to the end. I just can't believe a solicitor would take on a case without even having sight of any evidence.

I'd appreciate any advice please.

Comments

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    please read the sticky. and get your defence checked here before sending it of, otherwise you could be in a spot of bother, if what tut stated above is what you sent off
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    This is not a CCJ, merely a try on from a low rent firm of solicitors. Fight back and they could be paying you money.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    They have issued a CCJ which I have sent in a defence for.
  • The_Deep
    Options
    No they have not. They have put in a claim. In matters such as this, use of the correct terminology is a sine qua non.

I hope that your defence has not landed you in the doodoo.
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    No they have not. They have put in a claim. In matters such as this, use of the correct terminology is a sine qua non.

I hope that your defence has not landed you in the doodoo.

Thank you. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with matters like this. I submitted a simple Defense, I stated that I wasn't in the place I was accused of being. And that the only evidence provided to me was a blank photo with my number plate on, and that as such I refuted the claim.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    to correct your mistakes

Gladstones have started a court claim on behalf of their client

the court in Northampton sent you an MCOL (not a summons)

you have put in a poor defence to the MCOL

no judge has decided on the outcome , yet , so there is currently NO CCJ

a judgment will be issued by the court and you usually have 28 days to pay the judgment if they win and you lose

if you lose & pay in full, promptly, no CCJ will follow , the matter is "satisfied"

if you win , there is nothing to pay and no CCJ either

its not paying the courts judgment that eventually ends in a CCJ

as this is civil court, there is no "summons"
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    Redx wrote: »
    to correct your mistakes

Gladstones have started a court claim on behalf of their client

the court in Northampton sent you an MCOL (not a summons)

you have put in a poor defence to the MCOL

no judge has decided on the outcome , yet , so there is currently NO CCJ

a judgment will be issued by the court and you usually have 28 days to pay the judgment if they win and you lose

if you lose & pay in full, promptly, no CCJ will follow , the matter is "satisfied"

if you win , there is nothing to pay and no CCJ either

its not paying the courts judgment that eventually ends in a CCJ

as this is civil court, there is no "summons"

Ok thank you. So why is saying precisely what happened a poor Defense? What will happen now?
  • The_Deep
    edited 14 March 2017 at 4:59PM
    Options
    Because this is a court. Because you probably did not mention POFA, locus, signage, contracts, timeliness, Beavis, etc,.

Compare it to a game of rugby, unless you learn the rules you will be red-carded. Stop asking questions and either pay the scammers or get reading.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    nobody can tell you what will happen now, but I suspect one of two things will happen , that Gladstones will put in their side and then something will happen after that, depending on what you filled in

normally people ask for it to go to their local court and turn up and defend themselves , which may happen if you asked for it

but your defence is terrible and you cannot change it or add to it in the future, which is why it is important to have a good defence to start with

or a judge may decide on a judgment, especially if you agreed to it being dealt with on papers

if you dont understand why you got dark photographs with number plates on them , then you need to research ANPR cameras , check parking pranksters blog
  • longleggedhair
    Options
    Redx wrote: »
    nobody can tell you what will happen now, but I suspect one of two things will happen , that Gladstones will put in their side and then something will happen after that, depending on what you filled in

normally people ask for it to go to their local court and turn up and defend themselves , which may happen if you asked for it

but your defence is terrible and you cannot change it or add to it in the future, which is why it is important to have a good defence to start with

or a judge may decide on a judgment, especially if you agreed to it being dealt with on papers

if you dont understand why you got dark photographs with number plates on them , then you need to research ANPR cameras , check parking pranksters blog

It wasn't an ANPR camera, just a handheld one. Anyway thanks for the advice. It's too late now to alter my defence, but I will go to court and put my case. I had hoped for some helpful advice from here but it seems I won't get any. I'll report back and let you know how I get on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure