Anyone do Tough Mudder, Tough Guy, Total Warrier, etc?

Options

Comments

• jenniemiller177
    Options
    Friend of mine did Tough Mudder recently. He absolutely loved it. He's looking up some other events for early next year and convinced me to have a go. Should be fun, I think!
  • gavin777
    Options
    I've never done Tough Mudder before but I really want to at some point - sounds fantastic. Some of my friends have done it before and loved it (but sort of hated it at the same time!!) So I would say you're mad but it's not a bad idea - and I think I'm a bit mad too haha
  • x_missymoo_x
    x_missymoo_x Posts: 484 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2014 at 12:59PM
    Options
    I love OCR's! Obstacle and trail running breaks up the monotony of regular running and definitely makes me feel like I had achieved a much greater challenge than just running a normal 10km.

In the one we did we ran as a team, although as someone previously said we did end up separating as we ran at different paces.

It was a great atmosphere and was a great challenge. The best bit was crossing the finishing line feeling like you have really worked hard and then heading straight for the beer tent, and then showing off my awesome bruises to anyone interested afterwards :p
  • Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BugglyB wrote: »
    Wondered if anyone has any experience of these sorts of events and can convince me once and for all that I'm mad and its a bad idea :)

I'm happy to post a dissenting opinion. Being fit is great but that doesn't mean that going to these lengths is a good idea. You'll feel awful while you're doing it. The strain on your body is excessive and people doing these sorts of things get a lot of injuries through it some of which take a long time to heal up. Your body just isn't designed for it.

I once did a 100km off road bike ride. The first 30km were fun, the next 30km were a bore and the final 40km were awful - I just wanted it to be finished. It was a great feeling when I finally finished but you know what they say about banging your head against a brick wall. Do exercise in moderation I say. Play a game of tennis instead. It will be cheaper and you'll have time to go to the pub afterwards.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    It's the sense of achievement afterwards. There's no achievement in just playing a game of tennis.

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    Options
    Chomeur wrote: »
    I'm happy to post a dissenting opinion. Being fit is great but that doesn't mean that going to these lengths is a good idea.

It's a only a Tough Mudder, not the Marathon de Sables or a double Ironman! It's hardly extreme when pretty much any able-bodied person would be able to do it after a few months' training.
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2013 at 8:56AM
    Options
    OK I don't know how bad it really is but if I had to spend months training for this as well as actually doing it, that would really put me off.

HBS, after completing my 100km bike race I got a sense of achievement but it was a sense of having achieved something pointless. It wasn't a good feeling. Do a painting, learn a foreign language, surely those will give you a better sense of achievement?
  • janiebaby29
    janiebaby29 Posts: 1,783 Forumite
    Options
    I did mud runner Oblivion this year in June , at Eastnor castle , where they test-drive the land rovers .Id never heard of this event and was cajoled into it by a couple we met on holiday in lesvos last September. we had a brilliant time and it was such a laugh , i did it in 2 hours 30 mins and it was 10 k , we did train for it , but not excessively .
    it was a great weekend and am doing it again next year , we also raised money for charity .
    The original janiebaby ;)
  • BugglyB
    BugglyB Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Options
    OK I don't know how bad it really is but if I had to spend months training for this as well as actually doing it, that would really put me off.

HBS, after completing my 100km bike race I got a sense of achievement but it was a sense of having achieved something pointless. It wasn't a good feeling. Do a painting, learn a foreign language, surely those will give you a better sense of achievement?

It is interesting to hear a dissenting opinion thank you.

The ones I am looking at are around 12 mile run, with obstacles, so I don’t think that’s particularly extreme really. Along the same lines as fell running and so on.

I’m definitely not going to do one of the winter ones where you can get hypothermia.

I'm not really intrested in painting tbh. I do play guitar and cook a lot, and I spend more than enough time in the pub and on the dancefloor! I appreciate what you are saying though, nobody wants to be that crazy boring fitness fanatic.

Thanks for all posts and comments.
  • Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    edited 14 October 2013 at 2:03PM
    Options

Ah, well there we differ. I don't get much of a sense of achievement from doing anything that hasn't taken months (or years) of work, so I wouldn't be too interested in doing an event that wasn't going to involve training first!

Running the race is the easy bit. The hard part is training consistently through the summer or winter before it.
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills