Lidl Satelite Kit - £59.99

Options

Comments

• Totoriko
    Totoriko Posts: 650 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah it's really easy to install and tune in. You just need a bit of patience.
    My dish points towards Atlantic Bird 3 (5 West) where I get both analogue and digital channels using 2 different boxes.
  • shere1
    shere1 Posts: 613 Forumite
    Options
    Martini.

I have been given a Technomate digital FTA receiver by someone who has bought a fancy dreambox. Could I point my old 60cm Sky dish (with a universal LNB attached)towards Hispasat and use this receiver to get a few channels ?

Also when you set the satellite dish do you first find south and then take it xx degress to the left (for East) and right (for west)?

Thanks in advance.
  • Martini
    Martini Posts: 607 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shere1 wrote:
    Martini.

I have been given a Technomate digital FTA receiver by someone who has bought a fancy dreambox. Could I point my old 60cm Sky dish (with a universal LNB attached)towards Hispasat and use this receiver to get a few channels ?

Also when you set the satellite dish do you first find south and then take it xx degress to the left (for East) and right (for west)?

Thanks in advance.

Shere1
    A 60cm dish is too small for Hispasat (unless of course you are in Spain).
    An 80cm - 1m dish would be better.
    Look here for satellites available with an 80cm: http://www.digitalsat.co.uk/whichsatellite.html
    and Hispasat footprint:
    http://www.geo-orbit.org/westhemipgs/fhsp12p.html
    The 3rd map down shows you the recommended dish size quite clearly!

With setting the dish what you state is "basically it" but you also require the correct elevation and need to take into account the magnetic variation (magnetic N is not N) at your location. When I set my motorised dish up
    finding Thor at 0.8W was easy for me as it was "just W of S" but over in Liverpool for example it would be just E of S and there dish would point lower into the sky than mine! Dishes at the equator point straight up as the satellites are 35,800km above them.
    Keep Smiling
    :) Site member number 24 :)
  • ianian99
    ianian99 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    couple of points the one in the suitcase from maplins is the 12v sl55 model and the sl65 is patchable for cryptworks and nagra etc via jtag.
  • novice-saver
    Options
    With some patience I can recieve Hispasat 1C and 1D at 30 west using the Maplin suitcase with its 39 cm dish in Birmingham. (with the supplied 0.6dB noise factor LNB)

In addition to pan and tilt, if you're going a long way east or west of south the elevation reduces, and also adjust the LNB rotation a bit too for optimum signal strength as it's effectively on an x-y mount, not polar.

Somewhere there is a site you can put in your location and satellite of your choice and it gives backtrue or magnetic bearing, elevation and skew (block rotation) but I'm blowed if I can find it at the moment due to new OS and lost all my bookmarks.. Will post it later if I find it but work calls.
  • shere1
    shere1 Posts: 613 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks novice saver,

I think I will try messing with my old Sky dish and see if I can pick hispasat up.

I think http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm#start-of-lat-long-map is the site you are reffering to.
  • novice-saver
    Options
    shere1 wrote:
    Thanks novice saver,

I think I will try messing with my old Sky dish and see if I can pick hispasat up.

I think http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm#start-of-lat-long-map is the site you are reffering to.
    Thanks, yes that's the one: bookmarked again...

It still worked this morning, but had to dodge the showers

spanish2zm4.th.jpg

the image is rather soft, as it's cut from a 1248x960 original (from an Aldi 1.3 mega pixel camera)
    the closer images I took just dim the image in bands as the scan rate of the TV and camera are poles apart.

spanish3lj4.th.jpg

One final point, some of the preset channels in my receiver weren't valid at the time I was trying to find things. Check your channel list with Lyngsat and make sure you're tuned into something that's transmitting, or you'll nver find anything.

Once you've found it and peaked the signal, do a scan for (free) channels.

Same is true for other satellites too.
  • josh1234
    josh1234 Posts: 606 Forumite
    Options
    took my sl65 box,lnb,and sat finder back today got full refund of 48 pounds back but they did have to phone head office for the refund so i dont know why the guy who took the dvd player had to wait 2 weeks for his money back
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We bought a Lidl satellite the other day, tuned it in with a compass as directed by various sites but cannot get above 34% signal strength and 11% signal quality. Not enough for a picture. Theres no obstruction, its on a flat roof and the nearest tree is 100 yards away. We have tilted it 26 degrees from vertical.
    Any ideas, or should we get a refund? We are in Poole on the south coast, by the way.
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Clowance wrote:
    We bought a Lidl satellite the other day, tuned it in with a compass as directed by various sites but cannot get above 34% signal strength and 11% signal quality. Not enough for a picture. Theres no obstruction, its on a flat roof and the nearest tree is 100 yards away. We have tilted it 26 degrees from vertical.
    Any ideas, or should we get a refund? We are in Poole on the south coast, by the way.

Almost certainly you are not pointing at the satellite that you think you are.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport