Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    • 5,669Posts
    • 29,197Thanks
    AlexLK
    Renovations and Repayments.
    • 8th Mar 15, 11:07 PM
    Renovations and Repayments. 8th Mar 15 at 11:07 PM
    Hello and welcome to visitors familiar with my journey thus far and are surprised to see me on such a sensible board and a further warm welcome to the new faces wondering what they've let themselves in for.

Let me begin by clarifying a few points: the first one is I am not sure whether I'm actually serious or not about clearing my mortgage and the second is the fact my house needs quite a bit of work doing to it. This work I do myself and in the time my wife and I have lived in the house we've learnt all kinds of new skills. The current project involves renewing the windows and I am making the frames myself, two are done and I'm pleased to say look great.

I plan to use this mortgage free (how very grown up) diary to document the renovations and my savings activities, out of which overpayments may or may not be made. However, I am fully committed to long term saving and making as much money as possible. A long term goal of mine is to add to the BTL portfolio I shall one day inherit and am already becoming more involved in which is perhaps a good reason to pay my mortgage off and make my current property into an investment.

Aside from the recent interest in moneysaving I have a four year old son, run my own company, play and teach the violin and piano whilst studying for my own interest. Oh and don't mention the cars.

Those familiar with my debt-free diary will know I'm not exactly great at record keeping but am trying to improve, so please don't expect the detailed financial updates others seem to put on here. To kick things off, I suppose I ought to confess the mortgage debt is a total of circa £185,000 and I have no real timescale or plan in mind to pay it off.

Sorry if this is not a particularly articulate introduction, as I seem to be at a loss how to tailor it to both those who've read my debt free diary and to new readers frequenting mortgage free.
    Money saved 2017: £3330. Overpayments 2017: £500.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
Page 155
    • AlexLK
    • By AlexLK 25th Jun 17, 12:35 AM
    • 5,669 Posts
    • 29,197 Thanks
    AlexLK
    June Targets:

Organise Summer holiday: 1. Trip to R.W. 2. Holiday. 3. Agricultural shows x 3. This is getting closer by the day. I don't even know where the weeks are going at the moment, I seem not to be able to manage my time well and days / weeks are passing me by.
    Debts: Pay £1,500 from the balance (£6,500 ). Paid.
    Total Grocery Spend: £255 / £400.
    11.30pm bedtime: 3/20 Really struggling with this. Was not asleep until past sunrise, managed only to fall to sleep because I was so tired.
    Meditation: 5/21.
    Spreadsheets / Money tracking: Managing to keep on track with this. Still doing well with this aspect.
    De-clutter and Sell: / 3 items.
    Books read for pleasure: 3 / 2, target exceeded.
    Learn something new or refine a skill: 1. Continue learning and applying new knowledge to create more sophisticated and streamlined spreadsheets. 2. Learn a new piece of repertoire.

I really don't know what's happening to me at the moment. I'm really struggling with time management and establishing any semblance of routine. However, I'm not in a bad place mentally and most things apart from the above are rather good. On the positive side, the one thing I am managing well are the finances / spreadsheets. It seems to have now become a habit and I'm not as concerned about the debt as I was because every time I open Excel I see £1,500 paid for June which I am rather impressed with. Next month will not be so high as we've more expenses to cover but if we can see £1,000 cleared from the card I'll be happy with that. Which reminds me I will update re. fixtures and fittings. So far we are really pleased with it.

hope your mum is ok Alex!

My dad bought himself a maserati last year, I don't even know if its petrol or diesel he spends most days driving my mums mini as it's easier! I said he should have got a little red Nissan micra now he's a pensioner
    Originally posted by newgirly
    She's OK. My father isn't, he's concerned that she needs to "slow down". I am too. She's terrified about getting older and told me she'd rather die being active than face becoming confined to a room or two. I understand that but she can be so stubborn and has started taking on things when she knows it would be better to pass on because she (I think) wants to prove to herself she can still do it. I suppose it's probably a common issue with older people who are still physically able.

Re. your father. However, I find some cars much easier to drive than others. Can't say I'm particularly good with the brakes on a lot of modern cars, on the occasion I drive something new which isn't a Defender I have to really think about not almost putting my passenger through the windscreen. School friend let me have a go in his 430d when he and his girlfriend were up in Bakewell. Girlfriend: "I thought you'd be a good driver having all those old cars" ... that was just after I accidentally pressed the brake pedal as if it were non-servo assisted. I was seriously impressed by the performance for what it was, though. What model is the Maserati, NG?

Not being a car person Alex I'm not sure I'd know if a Maserati was disguised or not . As for diesel engines, well if I see them cruising down the paseo I'll listen out . (Not sure I'd know the difference )

Hope your mum's wrist is ok with a bit of a rest - fair play to her though .
    Originally posted by gallygirl

You don't have to be a car person to be able to hear.

Mother is OK, still needs to rest at the moment. We are cooking roast tomorrow and my father is making dessert with my son which should be nice. Tonight my son sent my father a recipe on the iPad and they had a brief conversation via message but it appears the rot is starting to set in as he asked if he could have one (iPad).
    Money saved 2017: £3330. Overpayments 2017: £500.
    Saved £11,000 in 2015, £9,800 in 2016.
    From £32,000 in debt on 2/9/2013 to debt free on 12/1/2015.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

274Posts Today

2,535Users online

Martin's Twitter