Smart meters - what is the catch?

Options

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,601 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    walkon wrote: »
    I can't believe that some members on here are pushing these bad and dangerous to health, smart meters.....
    As you are so concerned about your health, you obviously never use a mobile phone as holding one to your ear would be akin to pointing a loaded gun at your head. Your internet router doesn't have WiFi switched on and you never go into establishments using wireless technology. My local town now has free WiFi covering the whole of the town centre, so you'd better not go there. If you own a car, it presumably has the good old mechanical locking mechanism, as a remotely operated one would be harmful to you, and your passenger's, health.
    Can I sell you a tin foil hat?

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• lonestar1
    lonestar1 Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    build a small faraday cover - job sorted

http://www.instructables.com/id/Smart-Meter-radiation-shield/
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    From the SpeakEV forum (from someone who actually works in the energy supply sector)

I'm working on Smart. It's going quite well. The rollout just seems to be taking a while but bear in mind there's over 20 million meters need to be replaced. There's a few hundred thousand in at the moment, but none meet the new standard which will mean all suppliers can get readings from any other suppliers meters. The first phase is coming to an end which was really a learning curve on what tech to use, (GPRS, wifi and broadband, SMS, packet radio etc). What works in the west midlands doesn't work in remote scotland. And how do you deal with gas meters which don't have an electric supply. As an example - once the full roll out starts next year, the company I'm working for expects to be sticking in 8,000 new meters a day. That's a pretty serious project by anyones standards!

The answer on variable time pricing - well maybe. It' gives more flexibility on tariffs. For now the key focus is getting consumers more control and visibility over their energy use and letting them see how they use energy via the In Home Display (IHD). A lot of 1st gen smart meters don't even have that - just the ability to collect half hourly reads and send them back to be viewed on a portal.

A lot of the savings are expected to come from properly being able to account for the settlements process which is underway in a Project called P272 however that's really for larger energy customers but I expect the process will be similar for smaller customers in the long run. All the settlements are done via a fudge... no one knows if for example 90% of nPowers customers are on holiday today and not using any electric, whilst all SSEs customers have decided to have a barbeque and stuck 40 litres of beer in the fridge that needs cooling. What they do know is the daily demand profile and split it up over the consumer units in the period.

Being able to charge individual customers for consumption at a specific time will certainly help smooth energy usage but at this stage I don't think its going to be forced on people. More likely it will work like E7 - in that if you decide that getting cheaper electric outside the super peak and then even cheaper electric off peak will fit your life style usage then you can opt for the tariff.

Demand reduction tariffs are definitely possible - you could be charged for peak kW in use at a time, not just kWh consumed. No reasons why residential customers should understand running the kettle, microwave and oven and 4 rings on the hob whilst someone is taking an electric shower, all at the same time between 4pm and 8pm is adding to generating capacity requirement. Especially as we now have the capacity market for paying for availability of suppler even if it's not used.... which was a failure of the old market pricing leading to a few too many power-stations closing.

The trouble is OFGEM just forced all the suppliers to spend millions reducing their tariff offerings to 5 to simplify the market, and now they are having an about turn saying there needs to be more competition.
  • victor2
    Options
    Thanks for that information Hengus.
    I think it is inevitable that the suppliers move towards a much more controlled supply of energy to the market. Long gone are the days where we took electricity for granted and the cost was not really a consideration. I remember my gran being the first one in her street to get a colour TV, having already been one of the few with a washing machine. I don't remember her ever telling people to switch off lights or save electricity, and she was always one for watching the pennies...

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    I think it is inevitable that the suppliers move towards a much more controlled supply of energy to the market. Long gone are the days where we took electricity for granted and the cost was not really a consideration. I remember my gran being the first one in her street to get a colour TV, having already been one of the few with a washing machine. I don't remember her ever telling people to switch off lights or save electricity, and she was always one for watching the pennies...

We live in exciting technological times which is why, as an oldie, I embrace everything new that comes along. Smart meters are only part of the solution: the other part of the solution is smart storage. One might argue that Dinorwig pumped storage (1984) was the first-generation solution to doing something with unwanted electricity. The latest solution which will be trialled next year is at this link:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fm5bat.de%2F&edit-text=

Building started this week. BMW has also announced that it plans to re-cycle EV Li-on batteries into grid storage.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 August 2015 at 6:32PM
    Options
    I can't believe that some members on here are pushing these bad and dangerous to health, smart meters.

You must see this site and read what smart meters can do to your health.

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/
    http://stopsmartmeters.org/

Smart meters emit EMF and will effect your health. The will not save you any money and cost the tax payer more with this unnecessary roll out.

Smart meter will be big brother on your home and spy on you.

Smart meters will be used to tax you more with green taxes and I am certain, the corrupt government will charge you more for peak off peak times.

Come home after work at 5pm and want to put the cooker, kettle on. Then expect to pay more.

Smart meters should not be compulsory like some of you are pushing and there is no law that says you must have one. I will never have a smart meter and have told my suppler that.

My health is more important than some EMF emitting smart meter and so is my privacy.

Smart meter are a dumb thing to have in your home. Don't be dumb, don't get a smart meter!

The Dark Side of 'Smart' Meters
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLeCTaSG2-U
    I can t believe that some members are quoting rubbish from "stopsmartmeters.co.uk. run by a former qualified medical doctor ( not a Dr of Physics )Dr Elizabeth Evans.The mother of four is now engaged in quackery involving allergies using the Nahbudripad Allergy Elimination Technique .
    One thing worse than junk science involving smart meters is the way these ex doctors making a living in the junk alternative medicine game .She now makes a living out of advising people that the central nervous system has the ability to detect "electromagnetic signatures of all the molecules ". That s over my head but I suppose its a living for her. Easy money to bamboozle the unwary who trust Dr s or ex Dr s
    A quick glance through her website comes up with the gem that smart meters use more emf than mobile phones.Seeing as how smart meter signals are used for a fraction of a day I find this hard to believe. My phone is clamped next to my right ear very often , and I m texting even more.
    I am very happy for my supplier, or any supplier to gather data on my energy use. I m not concerned that they would know what time I put the kettle on or anything else for that matter.
  • walkon
    walkon Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    As you are so concerned about your health, you obviously never use a mobile phone as holding one to your ear would be akin to pointing a loaded gun at your head. Your internet router doesn't have WiFi switched on and you never go into establishments using wireless technology. My local town now has free WiFi covering the whole of the town centre, so you'd better not go there. If you own a car, it presumably has the good old mechanical locking mechanism, as a remotely operated one would be harmful to you, and your passenger's, health.
    Can I sell you a tin foil hat?

The pro smart meter supporting shills are at work again! You are programmed to react the way you have, along with others on here. Why do you believe what the controlled media tell you? Oh and that tin foil hat BS, was invented by the CIA to discredit any opposition. Again you have been programmed well.

Have you never heard of hands free? I hardly use a mobile anyway.

I don't use a wireless router as it affects my health and have had first hand experience of this. I use a wired router only. Much safer and better, does not affect my health.

The amount of wireless about in our environment is affecting and likely killing many of us. It can cause cancers and will affect many in later life. It needs to stop as it's EMF pollution. Smart meters are another part of that problem and nothing smart about damaging your health with the use of them.
    Say No to smart meters!
    Search for, stopsmartmeters . org
  • walkon
    walkon Posts: 122 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2015 at 12:44AM
    Options
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    I can t believe that some members are quoting rubbish from "stopsmartmeters.co.uk. run by a former qualified medical doctor ( not a Dr of Physics )Dr Elizabeth Evans.The mother of four is now engaged in quackery involving allergies using the Nahbudripad Allergy Elimination Technique .
    One thing worse than junk science involving smart meters is the way these ex doctors making a living in the junk alternative medicine game .She now makes a living out of advising people that the central nervous system has the ability to detect "electromagnetic signatures of all the molecules ". That s over my head but I suppose its a living for her. Easy money to bamboozle the unwary who trust Dr s or ex Dr s
    A quick glance through her website comes up with the gem that smart meters use more emf than mobile phones.Seeing as how smart meter signals are used for a fraction of a day I find this hard to believe. My phone is clamped next to my right ear very often , and I m texting even more.
    I am very happy for my supplier, or any supplier to gather data on my energy use. I m not concerned that they would know what time I put the kettle on or anything else for that matter.

Well I expect you to deny what that website says, as you are the one pushing how great smart meters are.

EMF is seriously bad for your health and smart meters do this by emitting EMF pulses. It does affect our bodies, just because you can't see it. You can't see radiation but radiation still kills people and causes cancer.

Not only that but smart meters along with others like wifi, can cause Electromagnetic hypersensitivity. http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/health/sensitivity.asp

Here is an example of what I am talking about. Many videos showing how smart meters emit EMF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4KUdTeZCUI

I don't care what anybody says, smart meters are bad and I will never be having one. The people pushing smart meters are, the ignorant to the issues, the corrupt government, EU, and of course, the big energy suppler cartel, who only care about massive profits!

Smart meters along with any major EMF will affect the development of a child's brain.

So don't get a smart meters if you have any children but don't get a smart meter for your health and privacy anyway.

We all have a right to privacy and some criminal corporate company, has no right to use my data or abuse it like they will. Your home could get burgled as someone will know when you at home, by your power usage in future. You may as well go on Facebook and tell everyone you are on holiday.

I do not trust governments or corporations with private data like that. It's 1984 and is wrong.
    Say No to smart meters!
    Search for, stopsmartmeters . org
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We had our Smart Meter installed in March this year. The engineer that installed it spends all day everyday fitting them and said he had been extremely busy.

The little gadget that came with it is extremely useful too. Our electric bill is less per month now due to this little gadget and us being more aware of what we are using!!

No complaints from us.
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • victor2
    Options
    Well I expect you to deny what that website says, as you are the one pushing how great smart meters are.

EMF is seriously bad for your health and smart meters do this by emitting EMF pulses. It does affect our bodies, just because you can't see it. You can't see radiation but radiation still kills people and causes cancer.

As the internet appears to be your source of wisdom, add this to your collection:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqIZDIxJgXw
    Surprised you even hold a mobile for texting, given the radiation they clearly emit. :rotfl:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure