Partners debt

Options
Received a letter in the mail with my partner and his estranged wife's name on saying the were being taken to court (in Scotland) for no longer paying council tax arrears. Obviously his wife does not live at my address. Mortgage council tax and all bills are in my name and I have no debts of my own. Does anyone know if I am liable. Desperate for advice

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. .
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Let_down wrote: »
    Received mail addressed to my partner and his estranged wife at my address saying they were being taken to court(in Scotland) for failing to pay council tax arrears. His wife has obviously never lived at my address. The mortgage and all bills are solely in my name and I have no debts. Does anyone know if I am liable for theirs?
    Also surely you shouldn't be opening his post?
  • Let_down
    Let_down Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't he did and showed me it and now I'm stressed beyond belief
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,887 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 June 2017 at 3:14PM
    Options
    Hi,

Stop been stressed, You cant be held liable for another persons debts.

What on earth makes you think you can ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    however he does need to sort it - especially if you think you might want joint accounts etc down the line
  • Let_down
    Options
    Just thought that as he is my partner that somehow I may be jointly liable since we live together
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    Let_down wrote: »
    Just thought that as he is my partner that somehow I may be jointly liable since we live together

You're only jointly liable if you're named on any bills, as your partner was with their ex on the council tax.

Otherwise no, you're not liable for someone elses debts.

Still, your partner is jointly and severely liable and needs to get this sorted ASAP. Tell them to speak to the CAB for advice if they're unable to clear this, or has a dispute relating to this as it's a priority debt.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • anna_1977
    anna_1977 Posts: 862 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    or if you have any financial links such as bank accounts
  • Let_down
    Options
    Will contact CAB tomorrow
  • Let_down
    Options