Council Tax and second home

Options

Comments

• Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But you don't need to live in a SFA. I take it you're Army?

Surely when you joined you must have realised you would/could be posted anywhere and you certainly should have been aware when you bought the house (assuming it was after you joined).

Whatever way you want to dress it up, your move is a lifestyle choice so your family can be together. If you don't like the fact that you can be posted anywhere then maybe the forces are not for you and you should put your chit in.
  • Mizungo
    Mizungo Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Your presumption is incorrect.

Your comment on the fact that I can be posted anywhere and that you assume I don't like that is also incorrect. On the contrary, I'm more than happy to move around and will go wherever the force needs me.

I am purely asking a question on how somebody else has managed to arrange a discount in their council tax so that I can arrange a reimbursement on my council tax. I bought the house within the local area to a previous unit, knowing that I could be move at any time, but also knowing that I can utilise SFA to my advantage. I'm currently renting my property out, therefore not paying council tax on that property at present. I'm enquiring about my entitlement to a 50% reduction in the council tax I did pay between moving out and the current tenants moving in, should be to the figure of approximately £500. Can anyone on this thread tell me that if there is a chance of receiving £500 reimbursement that they wouldn't pursue it? All I need is a bit of direction to find the correct documents to show my previous local council, as jacand has previously done. Is have already spoken to the council and they agree that I am eligible to 50% discount providing I can supply them with these documents.

Can I request that, unless you have information that is useful to me, you not respond to my request on this thread. My original comment was not aimed at you to respond to and it seems that you don't have the information I'm looking for, therefore I find you unhelpful, fergie76.
  • Fergie76
    Options
    Oh, but I am being helpful. The fact you don't like that answer does not mean it's not helpful.

If there is a service reason that you need to stay in a SFA, then you will already have it in writing and wouldn't be asking here. Just because you have been drafted somewhere else and elect to move your family, means it's your choice, not the services.

There is absolutely no reason why your family can't stay in the family home and you stay in SFA claiming GYH(T). I admitted it's not something I would want to do, but then that would be my choice.

If you want the letter you need, ask either your DO or CO to write one for you.
  • Mizungo
    Options
    My initial question still remains unanswered, which means that your 'help' is not relevant to my request.
  • Fergie76
    Options
    Mizungo wrote: »
    My initial question still remains unanswered, which means that your 'help' is not relevant to my request.

But I have told you to do it.
    Fergie76 wrote: »
    If you want the letter you need, ask either your DO or CO to write one for you.

But as there is no such service requirement to reside in a SFA, they maybe reluctant to do it, but if you don't ask, you don't get.
  • Mizungo
    Options
    My original question;

What form of proof did you give them as they are asking for a document that outlines this.

I will request my CO write such a letter in the hope that it will be enough. If not then I will have to explore other avenues.

You don't ask, you don't get indeed. Thank you for your advice.
  • Fergie76
    Options
    Mizungo wrote: »
    My original question;

What form of proof did you give them as they are asking for a document that outlines this.

I will request my CO write such a letter in the hope that it will be enough. If not then I will have to explore other avenues.

You don't ask, you don't get indeed. Thank you for your advice.

Your council is asking for a document? As the OP just said that they need to provide evidence of staying in a SFA. You can do that by providing a copy of your pay statement.

If your council is asking for specific document, then ask them what it is.
    jacand wrote: »
    Thanks all I've had a reply back from the Council, who say we are entitled to a 50% reduction. I just have to provide the evidence to show we need to live in married quarters. Simple and I'm due a refund of over £500. Nice one
  • Mizungo
    Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacand
    Thanks all I've had a reply back from the Council, who say we are entitled to a 50% reduction. I just have to provide the evidence to show we need to live in married quarters. Simple and I'm due a refund of over £500. Nice one

The one word in that paragraph that stumps me is the word 'need'.

Like you, I can see arguments against a 'need' to live in MQ, which is why I want to know the supporting evidence that jacand used as proof to give to the council.

This is a paragraph of the email that my council sent to me;

Please can you advise if you are contractually obliged to live in the property. If so, please supply a copy of your contract that states this.

What can I use as evidence for this?

It seems that there is a discrepancy between different councils, some don't need to see proof at all, some will be happy with proof of paying CILOCT from your pay slips, then there's my council!
  • Fergie76
    Options
    This is the crux of what I have been saying all along. You are not contractually obliged to live in SFA, it is entirely you're choice. This is where I think you are stumped. I wasn't trying to be obtuse earlier, I was just disagreeing with the word 'need'.

You can try and get a letter from your CO and see if they will accept that or you can try your assignment order, but again that does not state that you have to live in a SFA.

Good luck though.
  • Trying_to_be_good
    Options
    Mizungo

The council have the provision to reduce the council tax as some people (AF or Civ) are required to live onsite/very near their workplace.

Some councils may choose to extend this to wider Armed Forces home owners, but most do not,a s they simply can't afford the precedent it sets for the Armed Forces community and potentially more widely. It was simple sums that lead to the original 'second home owner' discount being removed across the board years ago.

As you say, no harm in asking, but I wouldn't be surprised if they say no. Good luck to you!
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport