windows 10 and future factory reset

Options
I have upgraded to windows 10 (free).

What will happen if any time in the future I need to factory reset? Will it mean reverting back to windows 8 and having to pay for windows 10 if I want it, or is there a way to factory reset to windows 10?

If it makes a difference its a dell desktop where the factory reset is accessed via the control panel.

Thanks

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm more familiar with self-built PCs and retail licences, but assuming a "factory reset" just means reinstalling Windows, then I think this is how it works... (hopefully someone else can confirm?)

Once you have activated Windows 10 using the free upgrade, a "hardware hash" is sent back to Microsoft's servers showing that your device has a Windows 10 licence.

When you reinstall Windows 10 it will contact Microsoft to see if you have a valid licence. Assuming you're installing it on the same device, it will be recognised and activated automatically.

If you upgraded an existing installation of Win7/8.1 then you'll have a generic upgrade Product Key. If asked to enter one during the "factory reset", skip it, and then activate Windows 10 after it's been installed -- it should work without needing to enter a key. I think...
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Assuming its activated OK you now have 2 legal licences, either of which you can clean install from. For W10, like all OS, best to create a W10 install disk.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • jshm2
    jshm2 Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So you would factory restore and then it would check your key for the W10 upgrade option and let you do so for free.

I assume manufacturers who gave restore partitions will bring out some sort of update to W10. Or give you the option to upgrade (assume it would be pay for CD's though)
  • esuhl
    Options
    Until Microsoft give up on Windows 10, I'm sure they'll always provide ISO images of the installation DVD on their website. And so far, when you download, you get the latest version of Windows 10, with all of the recent updates. So you might as well just wait and download the latest ISO image at the time if you ever need it.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As above as Win 10 has been constantly upgraded . You could call current version Service Pack 1 .

But if you mean factory reset as per the manufactures handbook that will restore whatever on your restore partition .
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »

But if you mean factory reset as per the manufactures handbook that will restore whatever on your restore partition .

Yes if necessary that is the factory reset I will preform. It will take it back to WIndows 8.1

So if I wanted W10 after that, would I have to pay for it?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No you don't pay just read the thread .
    In effect you dont restore from the outdated factory restore partition but from a Win 10 disc.
  • esuhl
    Options
    Yes if necessary that is the factory reset I will preform. It will take it back to WIndows 8.1

So if I wanted W10 after that, would I have to pay for it?

No -- your hardware will be recognised as having a valid licence. When you install Windows 10 and it asks you for a Product Key, click "skip", wait for Win10 to finish installing, then activate it. It should happen automatically.

As above, to reinstall Windows 10, it will probably be best to download the ISO image and use that, rather than doing a factory reset.

You'd only need to do the factory reset if you want to go back to Windows 8.1. If you never want to go back, you could delete the recovery partition.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    In effect you dont restore from the outdated factory restore partition but from a Win 10 disc.

but I dont have a disk.

Sorry for my ignorance I am not very tech savvy.

Do you mean if I make a recovery disc myself, that will be what I restore from? Will that restore everything from scratch? I thought they just stored records of my pictures/files etc.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »

it will probably be best to download the ISO image and use that

How do I do that? will it have to be done before the end July cut off?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure