help please with Universal Wealth preservation Trust

Options

Comments

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ooops, my mistake.

Was just wanting to clarify if this is the Universal Wealth based in Ipswich?

<<I assume someone is allowed confirm>>
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,486 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My interpretation is that Universal Wealth contacted MSE, who then contacted individual posters.

The complaints were about specific posts. I had two on this thread but only one was complained about and was given a specific reason. Strangely it was my response to a comment made rather than a comment about the company.

Some common defences are:

That the alleged wrong-doer was not the publisher of the statement;
    That the statement did not refer to the alleged victim;
    That the statement's meaning was not defamatory;
    That the statement was true;
    That the statement was for comment on a matter of public interest;

I know my post fits a few of those.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just for variety, MSE has not emailed me to say that Universal Wealth have complained about my posts in this thread and therefore I'm free to reveal that I have not been contacted by these heartless, scheming b*stards.

(with apologies to the writers on Have I Got News For You)
  • Reaper
    Reaper Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You do realise according the the link you provided "Have I Got News For You" lost that case don't you?!
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    My interpretation is that Universal Wealth contacted MSE, who then contacted individual posters.

Allegedly:p
    As the saying goes: "You might think that but I couldn't possibly comment"
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Options
    Isn't this further discussion a little unfair, if it just continues to boost the thread's Google ranking?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,283 Forumite
    Options
    This is all very interesting, and I make the following comments in an entirely non-judgmental way:

It's impossible from forum posts to know the full facts of any situation. These may well be perfectly good people/companies, offering good and sound financial advice. If that's the case, then they will be justifiably unhappy at the Google prominence of this thread, and will doubtless be wanting to correct any impressions given which they feel are misleading. That's only right, and I'm sure MSE will want to assist with that process.

If, however, there are any issues which need to be publicly aired, then I'm sure that the various people/companies involved, and their lawyers, will understand that such issues will inevitably be discussed in public fora such as these.

Perhaps if they're following these posts a representative from one of the companies in which Steven Long is involved (see below) might usefully post (with MSE consent) in this thread to offer any reassurances felt to be necessary. I trust MSE will feel able to retain the thread (unless it contains any inappropriate posts - which clearly ought to be removed) in the interests of openness and transparency.

There are several companies in which Mr Long has an apparent interest, and the Companies House record can be accessed here:

Steven Peter Long (born November 1966):

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/wTFPACM6IZyZlChRzXItfbNDRc0/appointments
  • fergies_army
    Options
    ^^ but Steven Long can't reply as he is either poorly or out of the country or both depending on who asks?!?! 😏
  • NGM
    NGM Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have been following this forum (and others like it as I often do) and have been gradually getting more frustrated. I do not normally respond as I am sure, with many businesses, things can go wrong but when the tone changed to the firm deliberately does things falsely, I thought I would put my side of story as this was not our experience. Following advice from this firm, my mother gifted her house along with some investments into Trust as she wanted to protect them for her children (of which I am one) and her grandchildren. Unfortunately, years later, mum was taken ill and ended up in residential care where she later died. Universal were the acting trustee and dealt with the administration of the trusts very efficiently and as the assets were protected in trust they were appointed out to myself and my brother in accordance with my mother’s wishes. In fact, I was so pleased with the advice and service provided to my mum, I have now instructed them to do the same for my estate.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    First post! Welcome, but you may be regarded with a certain amount of scepticism!

People have this tendency to get involved to avoid tax / care home fees etc via these companies and then are surprised when it goes wrong. I tend to assume that if a company is making its money by setting up these schemes there is always a risk - even if the risk is small the impact can be horrendous.

Caveat Emptor?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport