Looking for the silver lining

Options

Comments

• Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Just a quickie - goodbye Halifax card, balance now zero :)

:T:T:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j:j really pleased for you
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,299 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all, it's been a long slow process but done. Been doing some calculations and I should be able to declare myself officially debt free on payday (a week on Friday). Then the spending card will be clear and I will have finally caught up with myself.

Looks like Mr SA will be on his own this week as his carer has a brain infection - sounds nasty, involved a lumbar puncture and scan at hospital. Unfortunately this means I'll have to reschedule the gym appointment. Can't be helped though and I don't want Mr SA catching it, it's the last thing he needs.

Spent £20.52 today (all cash) but bought a retirement present and card for a friend so not much on groceries.

Have had a great idea - I usually buy a coffee at work everyday at £1.40 a pop. They're nice coffees (Costa machine) and I enjoy them and the stroll out to the canteen but I buy coffee bags from Mr S at £2.40 for 10 too which are equally nice, like mini filters you sit on your cup, can highly recommend (taste the difference). So I've decided every day when I would normally buy a work coffee I will put the £1.40 in a tin. Started doing this last Friday actually. Every 10th coffee would have been free and I'll be taking out the £2.40 for fresh stocks when required - so I'll take this into account. Whatever is in the tin in 12 weeks time will be used to buy myself a bottle of perfume. Reckon it might be in the £50 region.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Poor carer, sounds nasty :eek:. Hope Mr SA will be ok on his own.

Good plan re coffee/perfume! Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Hopefuljoy
    Options
    Congratulations on becoming debt free!! A massive achievement and there's no feeling like it. The coffee idea is really great and it's such a lovely idea to reward yourself after all you do for others. Enjoy your new financial status!!
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund £2474 post cat wee catastrophe!

Fashion on the Ration 55 coupons available in 2022
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Poor carer, sounds nasty :eek:. Hope Mr SA will be ok on his own.

Good plan re coffee/perfume! Xx

Seconded by me :A
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • satchmo1
    satchmo1 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Great coffee/saving idea. When you make your nice coffee, go for a stroll otherwise you might lose the social side of your Costa coffee.

Well done on binning the Halifx debt, roll on next Friday and official debt-freeness.

Hope Mr SA's carer is ok. Will another carer step in temporarily?

S x
    What would you get if all you got was what you were thankful for?
  • millionaire_in_training
    Options
    Great news re debt freedom SA. xx
    5 Year plan. April 2020 to June 2025- CC and mortgage free by time I'm 60
    Currently CC £23,674.36 /£14,895.41/£14315.42
    Mortgage £28,214.65/ £26,254.71/ £25,746.43
    By end 2020 I want CC at £ 19,000.00.
    By end 2021 I want CC at £10,000.00
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,299 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you all for your lovely comments. You lot have really encouraged me along the way :) Now for the hard part - staying out of debt. It's like maintaining when you've reached your goal weight.

Looks like Mr SA's carer will be off at least for the rest of this week. No replacement but luckily DD is off work most of this week so he's not on his own. Apparently the carer has had bad headaches since last week but the tests came up with nothing so it's been put down to a virus. He's on strong painkillers as he still has bad headache.

Had a bad night's sleep last night as an ambulance was at our next door neighbours for over an hour from 2am. Not seen them since so hope everything's ok - they have 2 very young children. All you could hear was footsteps going up and down the stairs and voices. You know how sound carries in the night. Then our dog started barking.

Almost had a no spend day today, until I strayed into Homesense at lunchtime and saw a massive lantern reduced to £5 because it had slight damage. So today's spend an unplanned £5 but very happy with my purchase and it looks lovely in my fireplace with a candle in it.

First day back in the home gym today but I've still been walking to and from work everyday despite being ill so not too bad.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Hopefuljoy
    Options
    Hurrah for thread friends!! I really hope your DHs carer gets well soon both for his own sake and your families sake. Meanwhile the lantern sounds like a super find!
    With family, friends and pets (or any combination of them) life will be fine!

Emergency fund £2474 post cat wee catastrophe!

Fashion on the Ration 55 coupons available in 2022
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Hope the neighbours are ok :( and you sleep better tonight Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income