Facebook ads from different user

Options
Have a chromebook with 4 user accounts on it. Lately what I have been looking good to buy, adverts have been showing up on my wife's Facebook account. We both have our separate user accounts linked to google and I am not on Facebook so how can what I view show up on her Facebook account on her mobile?

Comments

• Testa36
    Options
    I don’t have a lot of idea about that. I own a small website and use facebook ads management as well. Maybe you guys have a lot of common internet browsing experience and her mobile is just showing things that are common between you two.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You are linked by IP address
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    You are linked by IP address

I don't think it's quite that simple ... my wife and I both get different feeds and adverts on our respective FB accounts when using devices (via WiFi) other than the main laptop. So it can't be only IP address.

On the laptop very few ads show at all as I've installed uBlock addon in Chrome - which we both use on our respective PC login accounts. I've not tried with uBlock turned off to see if we get the same ads.
  • AndyPix
    edited 4 January 2018 at 2:41PM
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    I don't think it's quite that simple ....
    DoaM wrote: »
    I've not tried with uBlock turned off to see if we get the same ads.

Try that ..

OP, so so many websites these days have a facebook script running in the background to track what sites you visit. (Just install noscript to see this)
    This logs the IP address being used at the time.
    When your wife next uses facebook on the home wifi, her account is linked to the same IP address you were using and their script then feeds her ads based on your browsing habbits.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    definitely cookies, cache, IP address, all sorts.

My suggestion is to download opera browser and use their built in and free VPN!
  • DoaM
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Try that ..

I think you missed the point I was making slightly ... using different devices on the same WiFi network so having the same (external) IP address yields different adverts. So, as I said, it is not just IP address that is the factor here ... the fact the OP is using a common computer is also a factor.

As I've already proven my point (anecdotally) I don't need to try turning off uBlock. ;)

:D
  • AndyPix
    edited 4 January 2018 at 5:27PM
    Options
    How do you know if you are going to be fed the same ads if you have an ad blocker running :huh:

And as im sure you know - ublock also prevents most tracking

c'mon :D
  • DoaM
    Options
    Yet again you've overlooked the fact that I said TWO DIFFERENT DEVICES on the same IP address yielded different adverts. Perhaps I should have clarified that these devices are NOT running uBlock.

Perhaps I should have also clarified that these are not PCs. But the use of the term "devices" should have made this obvious.

c'mon ;)

:D
  • AndyPix
    Options
    wow

Im out.

I submit to your assertion that the mentioned result is acheived by a mixture of witchcraft and coincidence
  • verybigchris
    Options
    Facebook don't just show you ads for what you are interested in - they also show ads for things they know that people close to you are interested in, just in case you're planning to buy them a present. That type of advertising increases at times when someone's more likely to buy a gift, e.g. Christmas, birthdays, if location data shows you've made a trip to see the recipient, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure