PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much to rent a house near University of Cambridge

Options

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sunnymole wrote: »
    I can learn from my friend. And I wish to make more friends. My major target is improving my language. And I want to travel in UK. But I don't have too much money. So I want to save as much as I can. I don't know if I can find a part time job.
    1. On what basis do you think you will be able to enter the UK? Do you need a visa?
    - you will not be attending a registered academic course so cannot get a student visa
    - you want/need to work so cannot get a tourist visa

2. You appear unable to afford the rent of a place on your own. So you will need to share with other people. If you do end up sharing with strangers, you are not a registered student, and so you would be liable to council tax on the property. That means if you share with other students you yourself could face a bill of >£1,000 depending on the size of the property, irrespective of whether you are working or not. If you share with people who are not students the council tax bill will probably be included in the rent and the rent may be quite "high" as a result of that.

I doubt you can stay with your friend if he/she is a student at a Cambridge college as it is probable they will be living in college in a room where it would be impossible to have another person stay there for weeks on end.

I applaud your ambition in seeking to learn and improve yourself, but I think you need to do a lot more planning of what it is you are actually going to do in the UK and how you are going to pay for it.
  • sunnymole
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    1. On what basis do you think you will be able to enter the UK? Do you need a visa?
    - you will not be attending a registered academic course so cannot get a student visa
    - you want/need to work so cannot get a tourist visa

2. You appear unable to afford the rent of a place on your own. So you will need to share with other people. If you do end up sharing with strangers, you are not a registered student, and so you would be liable to council tax on the property. That means if you share with other students you yourself could face a bill of >£1,000 depending on the size of the property, irrespective of whether you are working or not. If you share with people who are not students the council tax bill will probably be included in the rent and the rent may be quite "high" as a result of that.

I doubt you can stay with your friend if he/she is a student at a Cambridge college as it is probable they will be living in college in a room where it would be impossible to have another person stay there for weeks on end.

I applaud your ambition in seeking to learn and improve yourself, but I think you need to do a lot more planning of what it is you are actually going to do in the UK and how you are going to pay for it.
    Thanks. I don't know UK well. I should prepare more.
  • sunnymole
    Options
    Have a look on SpareRoom.co.uk. As long as you don't mind sharing a house, a room in a shared house will be a lot cheaper than renting an entire property.
    thank you. Sharing a house is OK for me. But I don't want to share a room with a stranger.
  • sunnymole
    Options
    Most University of Cambridge colleges provide students with accommodation in halls for the full 3 years.
    Yes, I know. But I did not get the offer. So I can't live in the colleges.
  • sunnymole
    Options
    Is https://www.rightmove.co.uk reliable? How to avoid being cheated?
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    Yes, it's generally reliable.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Given the posting time, the OP is likely to be outside 3/4 hour time zones which make up the EU.

Therefore this plan is unlikely to go further. I could be wrong, but posting at 3 am suggests a big gap.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sunnymole wrote: »
    Thanks. I don't know UK well. I should prepare more.
    you should answer the question: do you need a visa to enter the UK?
  • bitsandpieces
    Options
    Depending on your goals, and how good/bad your English is, you might consider applying for another UK university. There are lots of excellent universities that aren't Cambridge - and if you narrowly missed their entry criteria, you might get into a very good university elsewhere. Of course, if your English isn't strong enough to get into a good university here, you would absolutely want to improve it before starting a degree.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    May I ask what country you are in and what qualifications you have ? Every university has a minimum academic requirement, but Oxford and Cambridge are much stricter and refuse some very able people.

With more detail you are more likely to get help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure