PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How much to rent a house near University of Cambridge

Options

Comments

• Winter_Phoenix
    Options
    It's almost impossible to rent a place 'near the University of Cambridge' as the university college sites are spread all over the city.

For example, a flat or house near Girton College will be a long walk from Homerton College.

And Cambridge is very, very expensive - even people in averagely-paid jobs cannot afford to rent or buy in the city.
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
  • Bluebell1000
    Options
    Cherry Hinton used to be more reasonable, though it's been a while since I lived there.
  • LutonGirl
    Options
    Prices in Cherry Hinton have crept up.

A friend lives there in a 3 bed semi in a close that's half and half still council and houses bought from the council. One identical property in pretty much the same condition as my friend's house went for £385k recently.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suppose I must put my foot in it....

Which of the Universities based in Cambridge? One is rather more selective than the other, although you can't just turn up at the door for either!

(Not that it will make much difference to the rent ;))
  • sulphate
    sulphate Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    I grew up in Cambridge and still live there now (well.. in a village outside it, I can't afford to live in it). Yes it's expensive. My parents still live in the city centre. Prices obviously vary depending on the property but generally speaking within 3 miles of their house you're looking at around a starting price off £1000 for a whole house/apartment, most of those are 1 bedroom or studios. You're better off looking for a room in a house share - you could probably get one for between £500-£700.
  • streetlovin
    streetlovin Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 15 September 2017 at 8:20PM
    Options
    I know a guy at work who is renting a 1 bedroom apartment in Cambridge (Hills Road) for £900 a month, but that is very lucky.

If you have a firm offer from one of the colleges, they will accomodate first year students. You are still looking at paying £100+ a week but it is still cheaper as it is mostly inclusive of all bills.

I've lived in central Cambridge almost all my life and have always wondered how students can afford to study there even with student loans and all.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    Apart from those who get parents help, do students studying in Cambridge actually live in the City?

I always assumed they would live further out near a train station with a short journey into Cambridge.

I don't understand how anyone on a normal wage/student can afford to live in Cambridge itself.
  • Narkynewt
    Options
    sunnymole wrote: »
    a month? It is expensive for me. So I visit this website to save money.

I don't wish to appear rude but if £1500 for a 2 bedroom apartment for weeks is expensive maybe you need to save up a bit more money?
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    Apart from those who get parents help, do students studying in Cambridge actually live in the City?

I always assumed they would live further out near a train station with a short journey into Cambridge.

I don't understand how anyone on a normal wage/student can afford to live in Cambridge itself.

I do live in Cambridge, and can confirm prices are horrendous, As the OP is talking about months rather than years I suspect he / she is looking to study at one of the many language colleges we have in the town. Most of these places arrange accommodation with local families which will work out much cheaper than renting a place.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Yes, of course they do.

Do you have any idea how being an undergraduate at Cambridge works?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure