What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 9th October?

Options

Comments

• carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 October 2017 at 1:44PM
    Options
    Morning all!

LAST DAY IN WORK BEFORE MY HOLS! :D

Went slightly off plan last night. Had one (175ml) glass of wine, which was sipped and enjoyed. Makes a big change from glugging down 2x250ml quicker than OH finishes his bottle of beer :o

Also decided that we wanted tea out. But picked what we were going to have before we went, made a sensible choice, and very much enjoyed it. Back to the meal plan today with no regrets.

Today's plan:
    • Meals from plan
    • Plan meals up until our holiday as much from stores as possible (only 3 days so should be fine)
    • Plan a small packed breakfast to take to the airport on Sunday - healthier and much cheaper than fried brekkie! Flight is at 8.05am so will need to keep us going til lunch.
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Gym at lunch time - done
    • Put sheets back on spare bed
    • Crochet and relax
    Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • uphillstruggler
    uphillstruggler Posts: 152 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2017 at 8:15PM
    Options
    Morning all.

Pleased to manage a NSD yesterday in spite of popping into town to run some errands.

Today won't be a NSD as I will need to take the bus (50 minutes, so not a bad deal at £4.90, to be honest).

Today I will/gave:
    *[STRIKE]check accounts[/STRIKE] done
    *[STRIKE]unsubscribe to credit report service (I did try MSE club but for some reason it wouldn't accept me, so must try again and persevere!)[/STRIKE] done
    *[STRIKE]claim ticket back from a recent bus journey where bus broke down and left me stranded[/STRIKE] done
    *clean bathroom drawers and makeup holder. Plenty of forgotten things lurking in there, I'm sure. Going to give myself a mini makeover when I've cleaned them. I'm not a big makeup person in any sense and I tend not to buy beauty items on a regular basis, but hopefully this will prevent any impulse purchases in the near future!
    *[STRIKE]walk to town centre and back for free hot drink. Good exercise.[/STRIKE] done.
    *[STRIKE]work, work, work! This went well yesterday; I have a main job but am working on developing a source of passive income and this has started to come together yesterday. [/STRIKE] done.
    *[STRIKE]meals from stores as far as possible[/STRIKE] healthy smoothie made this morning; lunch from stores; dinner uncertain at the moment

I hope you all have a super day.
    All the best,
    US
    Emergencies account: £500/500
  • arc2014
    arc2014 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Doing very well this week, on Sunday I finally got round to raising a dispute regarding the balance of my deposit on the house I moved out of in July. I already have the balance in my account this morning. I knew the letting agent didn't stand a chance as they didn't provide a checkout report or breakdown of the deductions but I never expected them to concede so quickly when they just ignored and dismissed my emails and calls. Also worrying to think how many other people they have done this to who didn't realise how the process works. Hoping to get a flat through a housing association where we are now which I'm hoping will be a lot better than private rent.

Urgh this annoys me so much!! Our last house they tried to take the full £550 deposit from us for a "dirty oven, toilet & general clean" :mad: I knew the house was spotless - the back & forth emails lasted for a good 6 weeks before they referred it for dispute. I just told them to prove it & they couldn't. Got the full amount back in the end! Fully expecting the same battle this time. Hubby said to me only last night "I'm not worried about getting the deposit back on this place because I know what you're like!" :rotfl: Think I've got myself a reputation! :rotfl:
  • uphillstruggler
    Options
    Annoys me too and pleased you had a good outcome, Frugal Saver and arc2014 :T

Why is it that when I move into a place it is filthy, yet when I move out and it is absolutely spotless - and several grades better than when I moved in - there's some kind of deposit issue...? The mind boggles...
    Emergencies account: £500/500
  • arc2014
    arc2014 Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So today's check list:

- Sort baby clothes into age piles for selling.
    - List some bits on FB & eBay.
    - LO soup for dinner.
    - House viewing at 2! :eek:
    - Jacket potatoes for tea with fillings from the fridge!

That will do for today!
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, DNMS, that's the same heated airer that I've got. I like that you can arrange the 'shelves' how you like them. I agree that the price has risen a lot. I thought they were expensive at the time, but I soon had hard proof that buying mine did save us money. At the time I bought it, I used to read the gas & electricity meters every Sunday night & kept a spreadsheet so I could see if any little savings worked & to just keep a track of any surges in use, etc. When we were drying clothes on a normal airer in front of the spare bedroom radiator, we'd have that heater turned up to at least 4, but regularly a 5 or a 6 in order to get clothes properly dry. When we got the heated airer, the radiator was turned back down to a 3 (unless very cold) or even, on mild nights, a 2. A year later, when I was comparing that year's electricity use with the previous winter, I could tell exactly when the heated airer arrived because our electricity consumption noticeably dropped with turning that radiator to a much lower setting. So, it is an outlay but for us, it's been well worth having.
    f x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    And now I'd better kick in today's list. A pretty good day for money saving, once I'd got the ironing out of the way, & even with that, I only ironed what really needed it.
    *Updated October's budget.
    *Sorted out 3 different budgets which I discovered I'd muddled up yesterday while I was out shopping. All now ship-shape.
    *Sorted home insurance renewal. Ran identical policy through our provider's website & found it (yet again!) to be cheaper online. Web-chatted with advisor to sort out cancelling existing policy. He gave me a number to call. I asked if it was charged at local rate. He said it was, but offered me another one which is freephone from landlines so I used that. Identical policy purchased from same provider. Saving £48-66. I know plenty of people wouldn't have bothered for that amount, but the way I look at it is that I wouldn't go outside & put £48 in notes down the nearest drain, would I, so why would I give it to an insurance company?
    *Entered a prize draw.
    *Did a few surveys - motivated now I've cashed out on Ipsos again.
    *Checked CC bill & paid off the amount I budgeted for this month. Wish I could clear it in full as I usuallly do, but those new glasses have done for that this month I'm afraid!
    *Rounded up small change for shrapnel jar & paid another 2 x 50ps into my sealed pot.
    *Baked a loaf.
    *Picked the last of our sweetcorn crop plus a couple of small courgettes.
    *Fed sourdough jar.
    *Did triage of the veggie baskets & fridge which led to a pile of gifted apples being made into apple sauce for the freezer & a big chunk of butternut squash being chopped, roasted & added to tonight's pasta bake.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch,
    *Used a pretty piece of recycled wrapping paper from my stash to make fancy lids for a couple of jars of my preserves. Added nice biscuits bought yesterday, put in a recycled gift bag & that's all made a birthday present for an elderly relative I shall see next week.
    *Dug out chickpea moussaka recipe to make next week to use up a huge courgette. I think we have everything in stock to make that & it will do us 2 days, so needs to go on the meal plans when I do them tomorrow.
    OK, that's my frugal efforts for today. mr f will be late home tonight. He's had to go to an event he really would rather have avoided. I've just texted him to say I'm making a rice pudding (he really likes home made rice pudding with a blob of jam, like 1970s school dinner, lol) to try & make the evening seem less tedious.
    Bye,
    F xx
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 October 2017 at 7:38PM
    Options
    Hi guys :) late one for me! Faffing around this morning :o

Went to work on my day off for a 3 hour training session - must stop booking training on my days off as it causes me resentment! But often the courses are days I'm not working.....

Went for a quick coffee with a colleague I really like but rarely see. a very rare treat to have coffee out for me! So that was nice :)

Then met with dd, had lunch - my treat but chips from the chippy so cheap!, caught up and she got madam a couple of pairs of fleecy pjs from primarnie :)

Nipped to L1dl and got a few bits - only stuff on the list :A

dropped shopping at home, unpacked then went and picked up madam and went to ballet. Took snacks for her to eat in the car - ballet day is military precision! Knitted sock and nattered to a mum there I like.

went and picked up a parcel from sorting office on way home.

Cooked dinner using 3 day ood mince - tis fine :D used 1/4 of a giant squash with potatoes for mash. See if it gets past oh's taste test....

crazy half hour tidying/cleaning as mil is round tomorrow - she will never know how slovenly we really are :rotfl:

Need to update diary with spends

tried washing machine's timer function and came home to washed clothes, will hang up after dinner

going to sit down and do some knitting, might have a bath/pamper session - but likely I wba'd after dinner :p

read newsletter

that's me!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening all,

I've been a bit glum and headachey today but got on with stuff that needed doing and felt better for doing it.

I had to do a trip to the local shop this morning for milk and butter and managed to get DS a YS sandwich instead of the meal deal he'd prefer, I had a jacket potato and cheese.

I have however just done another run for chocolate and crisps, just because I've been glum and headachey! I did manage though to get more YS sandwiches for tomorrow, YS mushrooms plus YS grape snack packs for work while I was there. DS has both my cards so I was counting pennies out to make the amount :o

Work tomorrow for me and I remembered (just!) to wash and dry my uniform.

The cat litter needs changing, joy of joys, I love my life :D
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 October 2017 at 6:30AM
    Options
    Morning :) been up an hour, really have nothing to show for it :)

Today is a working day and my *longer* day - I work until 3.45 today :rotfl: but the silver lining is I get to have a lunch break :T so at least I can eat my soup (am addicted to this soup. It's sooooo good!) in the office rather than from a thermos between visits :D

just checked the weather and it's going to be nice :T so I will hang the washing out :D

mil is having madam so £3 saved on after school club ;)

NSD

phoning dd tonight to help her with her form

quick bath in a minute

[STRIKE]check banking[/STRIKE]

check meal plan and get out whatever is needed. Madam can have lo shepherds pie ;)

knitting tonight

wrap up gift (from stores) for a birthday tea we are going to tomorrow using recycled paper. Card from stores ;)

that's all! Have a great day guys, nearly at the w/e :D

carrie have a great holiday! x
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts