Cheap HPI Check for Cars

Options

Comments

• eviltwin
    Options
    Free service gives you a record of mileage amd mot fal reasons
    http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]MOT Status Check Request [/FONT]his service enables you to[/FONT]
    1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Confirm that an MOT Certificate is a genuine record of that stored on the MOT Computerisation database[/SIZE][/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Check the status of a vehicle that has undergone a recent MOT Test[/SIZE][/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]View the MOT Test history of a vehicle. (This only relates to MOT Tests conducted on a vehicle since the introduction of MOT Computerisation).[/SIZE][/FONT]
    4. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]View the MOT Inspection Manuals and Testing Guide used by the MOT Garages.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Before you can access the information from the MOT Computerisation database you will need the following:[/SIZE][/FONT]
  • gee1712
    Options
    Hi, this is an old thread but if anyone stumbles upon it like I did I found a site that compares HPI check companies and tells you what you get for your money.

http://www.netcar.co.uk
  • vannus279
    vannus279 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    www.rac.co.uk now doing checks for 9.99 decent price
  • michaelboyd2
    Options
    Thanks for the http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/ link. I didn't know about that. I'm about to buy a car with the person claiming a full 12 mnths MOT. I can now look into it.
  • BrendaE
    Options
    abmcelln wrote: »
    Autocheck certainly seems to be the best value,

information site at freehpi.co.uk explains more about all the checks,

some are big rip offs £2 to check, and the sell it on to us at £35+. What a joke

Thanks for the advice about free hpi, I found another similar site vehicle check uk which gives you further info on the big 3 car check companies and why there prices vary:T.
  • LEE_UK_2
    Options
    we used www. thecheck .co.uk its superb value for £3 and is sent to your mobile phone instantly! used this service when I was out viewing a van and it turned out to be "cat d" accident damaged! The best £3 I'd ever spent! Could save you a lot of time & worry. would def use this service again.
  • brizzie_2
    Options
    The mycarcheck.com website gives a quote from Auto Express "brilliantly simple" but when you check the Auto Express review it is awful, 2 stars out of 5. The one that performed best was AutoCheck. Which? Car Survey Special 2009 also recommends AutoCheck (and HPI and its variants). AutoCheck isn't the cheapest @ £24.99 for 5 checks. I used 2 and offered the remaining 3 to friends and family. Downside - only one of the checks can be registered for the insurance.

Couldn't find any promo codes but as a member of the CSMA Club I got the 5 checks for £17.99. CSMA is open to all current and former civil servants or people who work or worked for organisation that used to be civil service, e.g. Post Office or BT. Half price road rescue. Big discounts off LV car insurance etc. Membership is now £15 a year but you get this back on the road rescue and I saved over £100 on my insurance too. If you're eligible it is worth joining.
  • tasty_snacks
    Options
    i spent a fair while looking around for the best deal, but discovered that the most thorough for it's price appears to be on eBay- provided that you bought the car through eBay in the first place. £7 covers a single vehicle, £14 for three checks. it seems very similar to the £10 rac check.
  • teddyco
    teddyco Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 September 2009 at 2:29PM
    Options
    eviltwin wrote: »
    Free service gives you a record of mileage amd mot fal reasons
    http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]MOT Status Check Request [/FONT]his service enables you to[/FONT]
    1. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Confirm that an MOT Certificate is a genuine record of that stored on the MOT Computerisation database[/SIZE][/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Check the status of a vehicle that has undergone a recent MOT Test[/SIZE][/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]View the MOT Test history of a vehicle. (This only relates to MOT Tests conducted on a vehicle since the introduction of MOT Computerisation).[/SIZE][/FONT]
    4. [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]View the MOT Inspection Manuals and Testing Guide used by the MOT Garages.[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Before you can access the information from the MOT Computerisation database you will need the following:[/SIZE][/FONT]

I agree with you on this information. Kent Trading Standards has reported that 1 in 14 vehicles has had its' odometer 'clocked' and it's not impossible to also set the clock back on digital odometer's too.

Before you buy a used car, ask the owner/dealership to give you the information of the MOT test certificates, go online and do a quick check with VOSA's website. It's quick and easy, and will alert you if there is a discrepancy with the MOT mileage history of the car.
  • pertheswede
    Options
    I have bought an old classic motorcycle with no log book (V5C) or registration number. I have been told that you can do an HPI check using just the frame/chassis number (VIN) and this sometimes will cross-reference and return the original Registration Number? Has anyone had any experience of this and who would be best to use? I understand mycarcheck.com is run by Experian to whom I believe the DVLA sold all of their pre-1983 hard copy vehicle data to when they started to computerise their records going forward? Therefore they would probably be my best bet or?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback