23 Years of age £12,500 in debt - any advice welcome please

Options
Hello all,

I am writing this as i know within this forum i will get the best possible advice regarding my situation,

About me:
23 years of age
Working 2 Jobs - Around 60 hours a week

Minimum Payments & Current Debts:-
£75 p/month overdraft interest lloyds (£4950)
£190 p/month 118118 money (£3900 left - £2020 if i can early settle, not happening)
£117 p/month satsuma (£1200)
£70 min payment/month Vanquis (£1000)
£15 Min payment/ month Barcleycard (£400)
£25 Min payment/ Month Marbles (£500) - Family member maxed and left me to deal with
£260 a month for 3 months Wonga (£780) <-- yes i was stupid.

Total: £752

Above are what i owe in total, coming down to £11,000 or so if i could early settle (Possibility)

Income:
Job 1 - £1108 p/month after tax and NIS
Job 2- (Depends on hours worked) 4 week month £500/ 5 Week Month £600
Between 30-40 a week tips from second job.

Total: +/- £1730

Outgoings:
Due to the nature of my second job i pay no form of petrol to get to and from each of my jobs
£400 rent - which will be void from the end of this week due to moving in with different family to use this to pay debts
£155 to partner for child maintenace
£110 car insurance
£177 car finance - this debt i am fine with and will let run its course
£28 GAP insurance - to end in December
£66 Mobile <- bad i know trying to sort something out

Total: £536 now without rent

Leaving me with just under £500 (my spreadsheet says more a month but this is a guide idea)

One positive hopefully - A family member is currently in the process of selling a family business in which i will be able to lend everything i owe and just pay them back my second job pay a month for the next year or two.

Any idea's how to tackle these incase the above does not happen,

Thanks,

NP93

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Enter your debts in the link below starting with the highest APR first and it works out who to pay what to:
    http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 June 2017 at 12:15PM
    Options
    You shouldn't be fine with the car debt as it's currently running you 19% of your income before petrol, totalling 315 quid every month. You can do a lot of bus driving and even some ubers for that every month where you can't get a commute and still be financially ahead.
    With just that and axing the horrendous phone contract, you will save 378 quid every month, also known as almost-your-rent or 4536 GBP a year.
  • NathanP93
    Options
    i understand this, the car will be the last thing paid off once the rest has been paid.
    I pay nothing towards petrol and my second job is delivering so the car is a must really
    Most my debts are because of buying 2nd hand cars and paying the price for fixing them up to work which landed me in a worse spot.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Regarding your second job - do you have the correct insurance cover?

Standard private motor insurance policies do not normally cover the drivers’ business use of their vehicles — typically they will only provide cover for social, domestic and pleasure use. However, even if the driver requests a business use extension on their policy, the stated business use may not cover fast food delivery. Drivers must extend their private car insurance policies with the purchase of a hire and reward use, in a similar fashion to a taxi or courier.

Hire and reward use covers a driver’s liability when something is delivered from one place to another for a fee, including when delivering food. Unless the insurer is specifically told that the driver is undertaking deliveries and attaches the proper hire and reward extension for delivery use, the driver is likely to be driving without proper cover and at risk of prosecution.

Police are aware of the potential for improperly insured vehicles, which can lead to fines, points and even seizure of the vehicle itself.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • NathanP93
    Options
    I have the correct cover to use my car for business use,

Also i am covered under the companies business insurance which is only third party.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,626 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NathanP93 wrote: »
    One positive hopefully - A family member is currently in the process of selling a family business in which case i will be able to [strike]lend [/strike]borrow everything i owe and just pay them back my second job pay a month for the next year or two.

this would sound like a way out - as long as you have fixed the root cause of the overspend, otherwise you will just be back here in a year's time with more loans plus owing a family member money too.
    You need to get your language right and do the maths so that you know exactly how long you will be paying back - allowing for the 2nd wage variation - rather than it being 'for the next year or two'.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • leespot
    leespot Posts: 554 Forumite
    Options
    A family asked me to help them out of a similar situation, and I agreed but with a condition. That condition was that they paid off the creditors whilst they were with me, best to know that they were spending the money to pay off the debt. It might reassure your family member if you sit with them whilst arranging to settle the accounts with the money they are kindly letting you borrow.

Trouble is that once the pressure to repay banks is off, there is less incentive to repay the loan quickly.
  • NathanP93
    Options
    I agree 100% I will be sitting with them while paying it all off then cutting up my cards.
    It is the same family member I am going to be living with so instead of paying rent they will receive the money from my second job
  • Moneybutterfly
    Options
    I'd look into your GAP insurance and cancel. I've always had GAP until recently when I needed to use it and they got out of it with a loop hole. Read the small print as it was no use and pointless having. I was missold it I'd say x
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Head to the debtfree wannabe board and post your original post again.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure