PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Options

Comments

• rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Lazy Liz. That's exactly what I did- whipped the buttermilk back in. I was thinking that I could use it in recipes that call for both butter, and buttermilk. Maybe soda bread or whatever.
    It's frozen in portions now. I did try some on toast- yum! And on ryvita- double yum!! Tasted just like a cross between butter and cream.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • Sarjsmith
    Sarjsmith Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thankyou thankyou thankyou the bbc one is exactly the right one, your a star!!
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Help!

In summer i make a lot of grated courgette frittata, as we have
    Ots of eggs and lots of courgettes...its delicious, but we get a bit fed up with it by the end of summer!

But, i have some frozen courgettes, frozen in 'rounds', would these work do you think, or be too water heavy ( i usually grate and drain off excess liquid)
  • Pat2012
    Options
    If you want to use the frozen courgettes up, why not try courgette soup. Easy peasy & doesn't matter about the liquid. Lots of recipes on line - I make mine without potatoes. Or you can cook them as the vegetable part of a meal. Squeeze excess water out after defrosting (I use a clean piece of sheet material or similar), saute some onion & garlic, then some chopped mushrooms and finally add courgettes.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks! I might just serve them as a side, which is what i would normally do with frozen courgettes, but was really wondering about this fritatta. I am now wondering about them as a pizza topping too.
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    I defrosted a whole chicken yesterday. Can you tell me how long i have before i have to chuck it? Do i have to cook and eat it within 24 hours? Or just cook it within 24 hours?
    And also, can i refreeze parts of it, once cooked?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,070 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cleggie wrote: »
    I defrosted a whole chicken yesterday. Can you tell me how long i have before i have to chuck it? Do i have to cook and eat it within 24 hours? Or just cook it within 24 hours?
    And also, can i refreeze parts of it, once cooked?
    There's a lot of 'it depends'es here ... Do you know how much 'life' it had left when you froze it?

What I mean is, what it a 'whoopsie' that you bought and froze on its last 'sell by' date, or was it well within its 'due dates'? You can see where I'm going with this ...

You can definitely re-freeze parts of it once cooked. So I'd tend to cook, split and freeze!

Now, for my own question ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Sue.
    i put it in the freezer the day before its use by date. Was going to have it for a roast today, but my little one has been sick all night and morning, so was thinking of cooking it tomorrow instead?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    I bought some 'whoopsied' diced pork yesterday, and slow cooked it. I know I can freeze the results, but how long would you risk keeping it in the fridge, and especially sharing it with an elderly neighbour? The latter's not essential, just a thought as she's just out of hospital.

I'm more than happy to eat it today and tomorrow, just not sure about the neighbour.

and the freezer is full to bursting, had to eat some ice cream yesterday to make space for other whoopsies. I need the boys to come home and eat more food!!!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    cleggie wrote: »
    Thanks Sue.
    i put it in the freezer the day before its use by date. Was going to have it for a roast today, but my little one has been sick all night and morning, so was thinking of cooking it tomorrow instead?
    On paper, that sounds fine, as long as it's not been allowed to get warm. I might still, for preference, cook it today, but that's partly me ...

Anyone help with my pork casserole question?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport