PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Weather-wise = I was breathing a sigh of relief yesterday at some normal weather for once (ie bright/sunny/reasonable temperature) and thinking "At last - spring here".

Spoke too soon - it's grey/a bit rainey/colder again today and hence I'm feeling thoroughly CBA about dinner.

Think I'll just head out into the garden and pick some sorrel and have a cheese and sorrel omelette/chuck a few tomatoes/olives and maybe (for the sake of health) a bit of sauerkraut on the side. Have got some sweet potatoes that have been sitting there a while - but CBA - so I guess the "filler" for tonight will be a couple of slices of bread (well at least its homemade wholemeal - you got it....everything organic in it:)). Might finish off with a pudding of some fruit and top that off with a bit of Oatly "cream".

Hopefully the weather will be more "normal" tomorrow - and a bit of cooking "get up and go" will resume....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had meatballs/tomato sauce with basmati/peas.
    :)

Out of frozen peas now though....
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just had a couple of slices of toast. I seem to be eating a lot of fruit and cheap white bread this week, so the x a day is looking good at least. Bread is a strange one for me normally I make a loaf maybe once a month don't normally eat bread in between, the fancy bought stuff never tastes that good to me but every so often I get an urge for the cheap stuff.

Orange, banana, tomato and apple eaten so far today on the fruit and veg front yet whilst I'm sure three of them were well over 80g I'm capped at 4. I get variety is better that makes sense but I don't get why more of the same counts for nothing.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Willowx wrote: »

Orange, banana, tomato and apple eaten so far today on the fruit and veg front yet whilst I'm sure three of them were well over 80g I'm capped at 4. I get variety is better that makes sense but I don't get why more of the same counts for nothing.

I had real rant about this the other day as I'm not sure that is exactly what the guidelines are saying but seems how the media is interpreting it which is a bit misleading. What to me has been lost is yes variety is good but the guidelines apart from stating juices, beans, pulses can only count as 1 a day don't actually say this.... just as much variety as possible. If it had to be 10 different F&V a day I feel it would actually say this . :) (steps back off of soap box)
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had meatballs/tomato sauce with basmati/peas.
    :)

Out of frozen peas now though....

PN I love peas...get some more quick :D

BTW did I miss something/or you edit out something in the post you were going to delete or have you just not deleted it yet?
    just curious.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    Options
    This is quite good a talks more about aiming for 800g as the actual study looked at increasing the weight eaten while also identifying some types of F&V had different protective properties http://www.nhs.uk/news/2017/02February/Pages/Five-a-day-of-fruit-and-veg-is-good-ten-is-better.aspx :)
  • Willowx
    Willowx Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    I love peas

Now I'm the opposite, whilst I've not yet come across a food that'd I'd never eat again, peas are one of the few foods i avoid if possible they're just not enjoyable to me in the slightest.
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Willowx wrote: »
    Now I'm the opposite, whilst I've not yet come across a food that'd I'd never eat again, peas are one of the few foods i avoid if possible they're just not enjoyable to me in the slightest.

I'm not a fussy eater but I have to say there are a few foods I would be very averse to eating again. I won't bore you by listing them though :D
  • caronc
    Options
    "I eat my peas with honey, I've done it all my life. It makes my peas taste funny but it keeps them on the knife" - Ogden Nash (I think) :D
    I love peas........but not with honey, though my younger sister did try it :rotfl:
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would you please allow me a completely off topic rant..feel free to skip :o

I am both :mad::mad::mad::mad:

and :(:(:(:(:(:(

I may have moaned about this before, but I truly am at breaking point now....every bloody night the noise, banging, noise, more banging, shouting, banging..from my bloody awful neighbours :mad::(:(

One particular banging of an inbuilt cupboard door had me jumping out of my skin earlier...I feel so anxious and unsettled. I have this every bloody night. I can't relax or chill after getting in from a day at work because I have next door making so much noise.. I already have high blood pressure I bet it's through the roof just now.

As I type yet another slammed door..it actually makes the wall shake AHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh :mad: It's so ferkin inconsiderate.

Before suggesting I approach them, I don't speak Arabic and they don't speak English, they are also not approachable and never say hello even though I always do when I see them.

Basically I am at the end of my tether and I just don't know what to do :( the noise is not during anti social hours but it really is having a detrimental effect on me :(

Oh to live in a cottage in the middle of nowhere where only the wild animals and weather make any noise :o

Sorry for the rant...guess being alone and having no one to off-load on/ here to share the misery my noisy neighbours are causing, means maybe this isn't that far off topic..?

Off to raid the fridge as I know I have cheese and I class that as comfort food :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family