BT Broadband Catch 22

Options

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The definitive information re cabinet no should be given in the ADSL checker posted by Lee in post #4.

This will also tell you if VDSL (Fibre) is available.

If you really are 3 miles from the cabinet, then VDSL will probably not be available.
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    The definitive information re cabinet no should be given in the ADSL checker posted by Lee in post #4.

This will also tell you if VDSL (Fibre) is available.

If you really are 3 miles from the cabinet, then VDSL will probably not be available.

Thanks. Had to go on a green cabinet search and found cabinet 24 within quarter of a mile complete with OpenReach engineer. He wasn't surprised at the speed and said if I wait 10 days they could try a few tweaks but almost all connections there were fibre. Exchange is about 3 miles away

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • Mister_G
    Options
    That was fortunate.:)

If your cabinet is that close, then fibre will certainly be an option - if you are happy to pay the price!

As you probably already know, your modem needs to synchronise with the DSLAM at the exchange in order to optimise the speed and error rate.

After 5 days you should have a pretty good idea about the maximum speed. Before you do this, I suggest that you just disconnect the modem once to get the modem and DSLAM to reset, as it may not have locked onto the new profile.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you seen the fibre plusnet offer on here?

Bargain for year 1
    And then £35? month there after. (Less with rent in advance)

I guess with a hol home u could switch every year and leave disconnected over winter sometimes
  • vigman
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    That was fortunate.:)

If your cabinet is that close, then fibre will certainly be an option - if you are happy to pay the price!

As you probably already know, your modem needs to synchronise with the DSLAM at the exchange in order to optimise the speed and error rate.

After 5 days you should have a pretty good idea about the maximum speed. Before you do this, I suggest that you just disconnect the modem once to get the modem and DSLAM to reset, as it may not have locked onto the new profile.

The last point is interesting and there are two specific thoughts on it. Either don't touch the connection in the first 10 days OR interrupt it once. I have never been sure which to do or which to advise people to do!?

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • vigman
    Options
    I see that with a local company I could get 30 Mbs fibre for £32 which I certainly would do if I was here all the time.

Could anyone help me with posting photos to link to here that don't give your details like Google Photos does, please?

Vigman
  • Mister_G
    Options
    vigman wrote: »
    The last point is interesting and there are two specific thoughts on it. Either don't touch the connection in the first 10 days OR interrupt it once. I have never been sure which to do or which to advise people to do!?

Vigman

Frequent disconnections will make the DSLAM reduce the speed as it will think that there's a line fault.

From my own experience, when I was on ADSL, was that one disconnection was sufficient for it to stay locked.
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    vigman wrote: »
    I see that with a local company I could get 30 Mbs fibre for £32 which I certainly would do if I was here all the time.

Could anyone help me with posting photos to link to here that don't give your details like Google Photos does, please?

Vigman

https://postimage.io/ :)
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • vigman
    edited 10 June 2017 at 3:36PM
    Options
    spud17 wrote: »

Thanks!!....hmm that should have pasted a hotling for forums and not an inline image...is this still allowed, please?

bb_speed.jpg

Vigman
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    ADSL to settle? Absolute nonsense. The speed will likely not change.
    It may but the only travel direction tends to be down,

A line starts out with a default 6dB target noise margin. The modem/router will then sync at the highest speed it can while still maintaining that margin, If it shows instability (ie several drops in sync) then DLM will increase the target noise margin in 3dB steps. The result of an increased target is a slower sync.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure