Does anyone have any experience of go-henry

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Would a ATM card not be sufficient til their at least in their teens?
    Seems like a waste of money to me!
  • BillJones
    BillJones Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    Why should kids not be buying their sweets with a contactless card?

Because it can make it feel as though the sweets are free, as you don't hand anything over for them.

I'd agree with others that this is likely to be great for the credit card companies in the long run, but not so great for the children.
  • Vanessa007
    Options
    Hi my kids both have go Henry cards they are 8 and 10 and they love them. They love feeling grown up when they use them and it enables them to buy things online (within the limitations I have set). For me as mum it's great every sat their pocket money goes onto their cards and I don't have to worry anymore about having cash or owing them. From my experience we'll worth the sign up. Good luck x
  • JKSandy
    JKSandy Posts: 711 Forumite
    Options
    Vanessa007 wrote: »
    Hi my kids both have go Henry cards they are 8 and 10 and they love them. They love feeling grown up when they use them and it enables them to buy things online (within the limitations I have set). For me as mum it's great every sat their pocket money goes onto their cards and I don't have to worry anymore about having cash or owing them. From my experience we'll worth the sign up. Good luck x

We believe you first time poster who has no affiliation to the said company.
    All that glitters is not gold.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thank you for the helpful replies. My op was asking if anyone had any experience of it, not whether you thought it was a good idea or not. jees...
    I'm afraid it doesn't work like that on here. You may or may not hear of experiences; you will definitely get opinions.
  • kazmeister
    kazmeister Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I too have been wondering about this for my 15 year old (I think maybe 8 is too young). Did you sign up to it tickety boo and if so how's it going?
    Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kazmeister wrote: »
    I too have been wondering about this for my 15 year old (I think maybe 8 is too young). Did you sign up to it tickety boo and if so how's it going?
    They can get a debit card from their bank with a youth account for free.
  • kazmeister
    Options
    I liked the idea of being able to set chores to earn their pocket money etc so wanted to register so I could investigate it further but even that didn't go well as it didn't 'recognise' me from the electoral roll and the call handler couldn't help me but someone else could another day. Can we call you ..... err no!
    Mortgage, we're getting there with the end in sight £6587 07/23, otherwise free of the debt thanks to MSE help!
  • rhianna99
    rhianna99 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    I recently signed up to this for my two boys aged 13 and 10 and so far its going well. You can set restrictions as to how much they can spend, where they can spend it, and they can withdraw cash from atm for free. Its useful because they both like to save and and there is a gohenry app they can download on their own tablets which allows them to track saving goals etc. I like the fact they can now shop online, so can get better deals on games etc.

Also you can include a list of chores the children have to complete to earn their pocket money and their money only gets transferred to their cards once I tick these have been completed.

We got the first month free and they were doing a deal where after you send the first £10 to your child's card they will give you another £10 free credit.

The only issue we are having at the moment is that my youngest boy is not yet confident with using his card in the chip and pin reader, he just needs a bit more practice.
  • kazmeister
    Options
    My follow up having signed up.

My daughter (15) loves it, I think it's great. I have previously been trying to make her aware of where she is spending her money but she has not done this, go henry does this for you other than cash spends but DD will use her card where she can for sure! I was surprised to get a notification on my mobile as soon as she used it not only telling me what she had spent but where she was :D. She only gets paid for what she has done and having set up the sto I don't have to worry about having not only her pocket money but all the other bits like 'can I have a pound for non uniform day' which she will now have to budget for.
    Yes I could have got an ordinary account but I think this gives me advantages and with the free month and £10 given for a starter I have 6 months to review it before it costs me anything. You also get extra £10's for recommendations so let me know if you want to try it ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure