Best London travel option, Oyster or day tickets?

Options
We are making a rare trip to London next week, staying EC4A and want to travel around for 4 days on busses, underground etc.
What is the best MSE option?

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Probably the best option for you is to use contactless cards, if you have therm, which will automatically cap the daily cost. You will need one card per person.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't have contactless, use Oyster PAYG.

Day Travelcards are no longer worth getting in most circumstances.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,000 Forumite
    Options
    two of our partyof three have contactless cards, I have two so we will use these Thanks.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Make sure you each use one card each for the whole day otherwise you could miss out on being capped at the daily travelcard rate and end up paying more.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • CoolJeanSmith
    Options
    Oyster pay as you go might be a better option
  • knightstyle
    Options
    Back now from our trip. Had two deductions for £4.80 and two for £13 a day! This is just for a few underground trips, max 4 a day, seems expensive, might have been cheaper to use taxis all the time!
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Back now from our trip. Had two deductions for £4.80 and two for £13 a day! This is just for a few underground trips, max 4 a day, seems expensive, might have been cheaper to use taxis all the time!

Doubtful. Taxis are expensive and traffic in London doesn't move quickly. How far did you travel on the tube as crossing zones is more expensive than staying within one?
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 October 2016 at 12:42PM
    Options

Is that per person or for 2 of you? The daily cap for zones 1 and 2 is £6.50 p.p. and a single journey in zone 1 is £2.40 anytime, £2.90 for zone 2 peak. So unless you ventured a fair way out from your base the max p.p. should be £6.50, unless you didn't touch out somewhere which will add an "incomplete journey" charge of £8.90.

Daily cap details HERE
  • knightstyle
    edited 31 October 2016 at 12:33AM
    Options
    The prices are each, there were two of us using cards linked to that account.
    £4.80 was to go from Temple to South Kensington and back.
    The £13 was I think for going from Embankment to Greenwich by water bus and back from there to Temple by DLR and underground.
    So for the 3 of us to go from Temple to the Cutty Sark and back cost £39! How much would a taxi or Uber have cost I wonder?
    Waiting for more charges to come in.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The prices are each, there were two of us using cards linked to that account.
    £4.80 was to go from Temple to South Kensington and back.
    The £13 was I think for going from Embankment to Greenwich by water bus and back from there to Temple by DLR and underground.
    So for the 3 of us to go from Temple to the Cutty Sark and back cost £39! How much would a taxi or Uber have cost I wonder?
    Waiting for more charges to come in.
    The adult single for that Riverbus journey is £8.00 and does not count towards any cap.
    The return DLR/Underground cost is £2.40 offpeak.

Why wonder? Uber fares can be seen here:

Capture_zps39hg7etu.png
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family