Poor Credit Raiting - Looking to get CC to improve it! - Advice Needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Also, assuming the account your mum took out in your name and didn't pay turned into a default, it will mean you likely won't be able to get mainstream credit for a good number of years at least until the default drops off (after 6 years).

The only thing to heal a poor credit history is time. And to keep up a history of payments on time, every single month without fail, in the meanwhile.

Apply for the Vanquis card and then don't make any other applications FOR ANYTHING for 1 year minimum. Make sure you are on the electoral roll and then check monthly to see whether this data is updated with the 3 CRAs.

The free versions to check your credit files are below:
    Experian: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/creditclub
    Equifax: https://www.clearscore.com
    Call Credit: https://www.noddle.co.uk
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Ryan_W95
    Ryan_W95 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Also, assuming the account your mum took out in your name and didn't pay turned into a default, it will mean you likely won't be able to get mainstream credit for a good number of years at least until the default drops off (after 6 years).

The only thing to heal a poor credit history is time. And to keep up a history of payments on time, every single month without fail, in the meanwhile.

Apply for the Vanquis card and then don't make any other applications FOR ANYTHING for 1 year minimum. Make sure you are on the electoral roll and then check monthly to see whether this data is updated with the 3 CRAs.

<removed links due to new user>

thank you, I'll get on the electoral roll, as for the Account it went into arrears a while ago, I noticed it and paid it straight off around a year ago now, I was told it would be with me for 3 years or is it 6?

I'll apply for the card tonight. Quick question though, When they run me through their system would they check the residents at the address I live at too? Only saying is because my partner get herself into some really bad debt when she was younger on her Vanquis card (Maxed out at £3000) She's still on the electoral roll for my current address. Would this effect my chances of being approved?

Thanks again!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It'll stay on your files for 6 years.

Credit files are for individuals, not addresses. Your partner will only impact you if you have joint financial products.
  • Ryan_W95
    Options
    It'll stay on your files for 6 years.

Credit files are for individuals, not addresses. Your partner will only impact you if you have joint financial products.

Thank you, really do appreciate all the help!

I done a credit score on the MSE Credit Club it's come back as 824/999 I take it that that's ok?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's meaningless. The scores are largely made up and need to be ignored.

Just focus on building your history from here.
  • Ryan_W95
    Options
    It's meaningless. The scores are largely made up and need to be ignored.

Just focus on building your history from here.

Ok, Thanks again for the help!
  • dresdendave
    dresdendave Posts: 889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done to the OP who seems to be taking on board and thanking posters for the advice he/she is being offered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure