Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• Jo_Lamb
    Options
    My father died last year and we are trying to sell his home. In the meantime we are having to pay home insurance for an unoccupied property which is extortionate. We have dropped the price since the initial policy but it has come out £80 dearer than before at around £450 for three months! My brother lives nearby and visits the property at least once a week. Any suggestions for where I could look for a cheaper quote?
    Many thanks
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    Jo_Lamb wrote: »
    My father died last year and we are trying to sell his home. In the meantime we are having to pay home insurance for an unoccupied property which is extortionate. We have dropped the price since the initial policy but it has come out £80 dearer than before at around £450 for three months! My brother lives nearby and visits the property at least once a week. Any suggestions for where I could look for a cheaper quote?
    Many thanks

Why do you think that's extortionate? Unoccupied property insurance is a VERY different risk to a standard occupied home so will be rated very differently.

Especially, I might add, as we are going into winter shortly which is the worst time of year for this risk.
  • Jo_Lamb
    Options
    Well, I do think it is expensive, particularly as my brother visits regularly and the property is not isolated and is within an active neighbourhood watch area. On top of that we're having to pay full council tax as well for services which are not being accessed!
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How did you get the current cover?

Have you tried an insurance broker?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • malanal16
    Options
    I am looking for home insurance which will cover our boiler as it is over 15 years old, can anyone help me
  • ardaragh
    Options
    Newbie here - just to ask advice please - i have made a claim on a burst pipe in my home which has caused alot of damage. I contacted my insurance company as need to claim they have given me a claim number 2 weeks ago and the assessor was out today. My problem is that my renewal is due this week and they have doubled the amount of the renewal can i switch companies i have declared the claim on a comparison site. Any help greatly appreciated
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ardaragh wrote: »
    Newbie here - just to ask advice please - i have made a claim on a burst pipe in my home which has caused alot of damage. I contacted my insurance company as need to claim they have given me a claim number 2 weeks ago and the assessor was out today. My problem is that my renewal is due this week and they have doubled the amount of the renewal can i switch companies i have declared the claim on a comparison site. Any help greatly appreciated

There's no particular reason why you can't change insurers mid-claim, but I'd be very careful indeed to make sure that you've accurately answered any questions asked by the new company, based on the facts as they stand now - which will include the claim.

It's almost certain that you'll have to declare the claim and the reasons for it, with an inevitable impact on the premium.
  • Sherbertfizz
    Options
    Does anyone have recommendations for this non-standard situation? I live in f/f flat, two flats in block, purpose built around 1900, lower flat owner/occupied on 117 year lease. As freeholder, I have to insure whole building. Can't use comparison, have tried some direct but coming in very expensive. Any pointers appreciated, many thanks :)
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone have recommendations for this non-standard situation? I live in f/f flat, two flats in block, purpose built around 1900, lower flat owner/occupied on 117 year lease. As freeholder, I have to insure whole building. Can't use comparison, have tried some direct but coming in very expensive. Any pointers appreciated, many thanks :)

In that unusual situation I'd recommend discussing with a broker or two. It may be necessary to try more than one until you find one with sufficient expertise in this area but it's probably the simplest way to get a competitive quotation.
  • murphydavid
    murphydavid Posts: 832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 November 2017 at 9:22AM
    Options
    Just had a renewal quote but it includes a new clause saying I will not have cover for theft if I don't have a grade 2 EN50131 alarm fitted or if my existing alarm was not fitted by a NACOSS/SSAIB approved installer. I don't.
    When I look on the web for NACOSS/SSAIB approved installer I find companies that have an amazing number and varieties of devices (or levels of protection). Can anyone tell me what is the minimum that will satisfy the above condition and if you know approx cost. I only want minimum expenditure to enable me to get cheap full insurance because up till now my main experiance of alarms is an alarm sounding for what seems an endless period with no one taking a blind bit of notice of it except to grumble about the noise, so I have a prominant real alarm box (diy) but no one knows it won't sound.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback