Options

Comments

• Pinkwhisk
    Pinkwhisk Posts: 200 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Workings out:

£180 per year for birthdays/Mother's Day/Father's Day = £15 per month
    £200 on baby's birthday =22.22 per month (9 pay days left)
    £5 for baby

Total to save = 42.22

I would round that to £50 and build an emergency fund up with the extra. That doesn't take Christmas into account but hopefully we can save £1/2 coins for that!

PW x
    SPC = 079
  • Pinkwhisk
    Options
    I've done something very MSE and saved my jam jar and coffee jar instead of binning them to make my own saving pot. I've superglued one lid down but I ran out so will buy more at £1 shop.

Also been thinking - I'll start putting five in baby account now and not worry about catching up unless we get loads of back dated HB which I don't think we will.

So, instead any cash back and eBay can go into £1000 savings and I'll start putting coppers towards oh 30 birthday. It's a good few years away yet but it would be lovely to have our first holiday then or something to mark the occasion.

Right now I have 3 jars but I'm hoping to change that. I have one jar which I can access which has £5 note in. My theory is put any £5 I get in there and what's in there at end of month move to sealed tin.

One jar for 30 birthday (coppers), 1 for silver and 1 for 1/2 coins. I'll move notes into £1/2 jar.

I opened a savings account with co op. I thought there was one in my local town but it's shut so now trying to see where I can open a savings account but only use it in branch but can pay money in at Post office. Hmmm.....

PW x
    SPC = 079
  • Pinkwhisk
    Options
    No luck on the savings front. Think I may have to have another current account open so I can put £1000 in there. I have a savings account attached to my current account but if I see it on my online banking I will want to withdraw it, if it's put in a different bank and I have to go there to get it I won't want to do that! I have a basic Santander account I'll use that I think.

Still haven't done budget with OH. I need to wait for his day off to do it. Argh.

I'm making my second jar today but can't afford the glue until Friday - this is for coppers so I won't dig into it!

PW x
    SPC = 079
  • Pinkwhisk
    Options
    More musings about savings.

We have :

Xmas 2016
    Xmas 2017
    Birthdays/mothers/Father's Day
    £1000

So confused as to the best way to save as in DRO you can't save - I think?!

But I can't face another year of worrying over money and living hand to mouth I don't want baby to grow up thinking that's normal.

MAYBE :

£50 Christmas 2016

£1/2 coins for Christmas 2017
    Silver for days out
    Coppers for OH birthday

£1000 cash back and eBay gumtree selling and any tips oh gets.

Birthdays etc as above.

I think we should try and have £20 a month fun for baby
    £20 a month fun each? I'm not sure!

To be honest I need to wait until we know what HB and CT discount we are getting.

I think I just need to start saving and ill feel better !

PW X
    SPC = 079
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    I don't know if it's any use but I opened an investment account with NSandI. The interest is, well, you know, rubbish but I needed to make it as inaccessible as possible without fixing it. To take money out I have to print a form from the website, complete it, post it and wait. Just a thought. Good luck.
  • Pinkwhisk
    Options
    Ooooo i shall have a look it sounds like what I'm looking for thank you!
    SPC = 079
  • Pinkwhisk
    Options
    Can't wait till September pay. Or until we get all paperwork we need for DRO. Stress,stress, sress, which makes my skin flare up really badly :-( .

I know in the end everything will be ok, but getting there is tough. I find it therapeutic writing on here though!

I've joined £1000 challange and 10% challange too. I'm feeling really motivated! Hopefully it will rub off onto OH.

PW x
    SPC = 079
  • Pinkwhisk
    Options
    So I've just sold something! Woo! Would love to say it's going in EF fund BUT I need to wait to see which account tax credits get paid into first - I swapped them over yesterday but if they go into old one we loose £45 :'-( . I hope God is on my side for this one.

PW x
    SPC = 079
  • Pinkwhisk
    Options
    I've used the budget buster tool on MSE.

I need sit down with OH now and show him, to start getting out of debt and help us build funds.

And then ring national debt line to tell them our budget and get DRO set up. Then I'll be happy.

PW x
    SPC = 079
  • Pinkwhisk
    Options
    So, money went into old account, which means the money I have from selling yesterday has now gone on food. So annoying, I was looking forward to updating sig and colouring in one square!

I want to do budget tonight, and eBay stuff as well, but my OH is so laid back about it all its so frustrating!

I constantly feel on edge and nervous and I can't shake the feeling. It's the feeling of no money I hate. I'm proud of how far we've come since last year, but still a long way to go before weare debt free.

I'm happy we've made this mistake now, before it affects baby.

Our budget shows as +3, so I'm worrying about my idea of change saving but hopefully it'll work.

PW X
    SPC = 079
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family