Timing the market

Options

Comments

• Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    bcfclee27 wrote: »
    Just looked and the funds I'm looking at (HSBC & VLS) have fallen again, is this what you mean by attractive as in buying more when they're falling etc.
    Or have I read the markets wrong and things have gone up in price ?
    Yes, the HSBC price has been updated and fallen again, but the VLS prices are not usually updated until the morning, but I think it's a fair bet they will have fallen again as most stocks have dropped a bit more again today.
  • BananaRepublic
    Options
    It could be that we are seeing a correction, perhaps influenced by the Bitcoin crash, along with US interest rates rising. We have after all seen some glorious gains over the last couple of years.
  • scoot65
    scoot65 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Audaxer wrote: »
    Yes, the HSBC price has been updated and fallen again, but the VLS prices are not usually updated until the morning, but I think it's a fair bet they will have fallen again as most stocks have dropped a bit more again today.

Where's a good site to monitor price movements on VLS / HBSC GS et al?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Filo25 wrote: »

Not even really driven by any news today.

Markets are looking forward, where there's already plenty on the horizon. Shares are priced on future prospects not just today's news.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    The fund pages on your platform should show daily change and probably graphs showing movement over set time periods. You could also use Trustnet, with whom you can also create an account and monitor funds in your portfolio.
  • scoot65
    scoot65 Posts: 470 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    The fund pages on your platform should show daily change and probably graphs showing movement over set time periods. You could also use Trustnet, with whom you can also create an account and monitor funds in your portfolio.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Markets are looking forward, where there's already plenty on the horizon. Shares are priced on future prospects not just today's news.

Originally Posted by Filo25 View Post

Not even really driven by any news today.

I thought the US sell off was influenced by Fridays better than expectd jobs report. Fearing wage inflation will mean higher interest rates?
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    atush wrote: »
    I thought the US sell off was influenced by Fridays better than expectd jobs report. Fearing wage inflation will mean higher interest rates?

Certainly true of the decline on Friday, but on Monday bond yields actually fell
  • ArchBair
    ArchBair Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    My missus sold out of Fundsmith in her S&S ISA account a few weeks ago when the price hit 373.50. It wasn't that she was trying to time the market but more a case that she was very happy with the profits made over the past couple of years and decided to cash in so it was a lucky call. She now has this money to re-invest in her ISA portfolio at better prices for most funds whereas I stayed fully invested in the market. Drinks are on her this week!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    atush wrote: »

Perhaps the US sell off was exaggerated by computer driven trading. With 30% of US stocks held by mutual funds. Must be a factor when individual shares move signficantly up and down.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure