New mattress but what type ?

Options

Comments

• Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well I've looked at numerous websites as well as countless items on Ebay and have yet to see any mattress described as having steel springs.

Perhaps they are out of my price range...looking at spending about £300
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    Well I've looked at numerous websites as well as countless items on Ebay and have yet to see any mattress described as having steel springs.

Perhaps they are out of my price range...looking at spending about £300

All pocket springs that aren't the reflex foam encapsulated type are steel. So depending on what size and firmness you like £300 may be ok.
  • Daz2009
    Options
    Trouble is they rarely say,either way.
    I'm going to visit a local independent shop tomorrow and see what they have to offer
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Trouble is they rarely say,either way.
    I'm going to visit a local independent shop tomorrow and see what they have to offer

It would be far cheaper on line.
  • Daz2009
    Options
    Have you seen how many different mattresses there are for sale Tim ? Of course you have you're in the business.

Seems to me for the average person we have no way of knowing a good one from a bad one.
  • Tim_Deegan
    Options
    Have you seen how many different mattresses there are for sale Tim ? Of course you have you're in the business.

Seems to me for the average person we have no way of knowing a good one from a bad one.

Yes I know it can be a minefield. You need to find a decent seller who gives a proper satisfaction guarantee, then ask their advice. Afterall it is in their interest to make sure that you make the right choice the first time.
  • philipcook
    philipcook Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tim,

You must have the patience of a saint, I have scrolled through quite a few pages on this topic and people are still asking the same questions. You must have replied 100's of times, but people are still confused, including myself. You advise staying away from the big manufacturers and bed shops, because they are selling poor quality, over priced beds and mattresses, but if we can't trust well known companies who can we trust. It would help everyone if you were allowed to give a list of the best budget, standard and high quality mattress manufacturers, but not sellers, then we could confidently shop around for the best prices to suit our budget. I cannot understand why you are not allowed to do this, as you would not be advertising your own business. Martin can give information about various companies offers, list Banks in order of best interest rates for example, I wish you were allowed the same free hand and save us all from possibly wasting our money.
    I nearly forgot to mention, I am looking for a good quality ottoman storage double bed with memory foam mattress, any help greatly appreciated.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 May 2010 at 12:08PM
    Options
    philipcook wrote: »
    Hi Tim,

You must have the patience of a saint, I have scrolled through quite a few pages on this topic and people are still asking the same questions. You must have replied 100's of times, but people are still confused, including myself. You advise staying away from the big manufacturers and bed shops, because they are selling poor quality, over priced beds and mattresses, but if we can't trust well known companies who can we trust. It would help everyone if you were allowed to give a list of the best budget, standard and high quality mattress manufacturers, but not sellers, then we could confidently shop around for the best prices to suit our budget. I cannot understand why you are not allowed to do this, as you would not be advertising your own business. Martin can give information about various companies offers, list Banks in order of best interest rates for example, I wish you were allowed the same free hand and save us all from possibly wasting our money.
    I nearly forgot to mention, I am looking for a good quality ottoman storage double bed with memory foam mattress, any help greatly appreciated.

Hello philipcook

Welcome to the MSE site.:wave:

Martin can give information because he owns this site.;) Forum members mustn't advertise or sell because it's against the Forum Rules:

forum_faqs_small_bubble.gifWhy was my post about my company/site/blog deleted?
    MoneySavingExpert.com is an ad free site - you cannot pay to buy space - one of the reasons why so many people use it! Equally you are not allowed to advertise any goods, services and/or companies anywhere on the forum, or through private messages (PMs), no matter how honourable the intention.

'Advertising' includes touting for business; asking people to contact you; posting e-mail addresses which indicate a web address; linking to sites you or friends are involved in (whether you’re selling something or not), or to your eBay or other auction sales.

All posts which we consider to be advertising will be removed where reported.

Users are allowed links in profile pages but please don't mention them in your posts or signature in any way.

If you continue to advertise on the forum, your permission to post on the forum will also be removed. This includes the Referrers Board.
    If you're a company/business and think you have a genuinely good deal worth letting our site users know about then please email the Forum Team on [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]. Do not post on the Forum. If appropriate the Forum Team will forward your email to the MSE Team and it will be considered.

Please don't encourage Tim Deegan to post lists of mattress/bed types, brands, manufacturers or companies he personally recommends.............because he's not allowed to.;)

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • philipcook
    philipcook Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Nile,

I am retired, don't own a Business or have anything to do with beds other than to buy one and sleep on it. I think my question to Tim was valid and not enticing him to advertise. I was asking why he couldn't give us a list of all decent manufacturers, but not sellers as this would definitely be advertising and unfair. There are 188 pages on this subject, so I don't think the answers given are helping people to buy with confidence, only giving part of the answer is confusing people, me included, advising people not to buy from well known manufacturers and well known large scale sellers should be followed up with further advice to avoid confusion. I don't think it was necessary to delete my post as other people must be thinking the same and need the questions answered, forums should be there to help, not confuse.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    philipcook wrote: »
    Hi Nile,

I am retired, don't own a Business or have anything to do with beds other than to buy one and sleep on it. I think my question to Tim was valid and not enticing him to advertise. I was asking why he couldn't give us a list of all decent manufacturers, but not sellers as this would definitely be advertising and unfair. There are 188 pages on this subject, so I don't think the answers given are helping people to buy with confidence, only giving part of the answer is confusing people, me included, advising people not to buy from well known manufacturers and well known large scale sellers should be followed up with further advice to avoid confusion. I don't think it was necessary to delete my post as other people must be thinking the same and need the questions answered, forums should be there to help, not confuse.

I'm puzzled by your comment, I haven't deleted your post.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure