EH - Essex > Hebrides...the next step of the adventure?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EH always welcome at my diary don't get many visitors, but it keeps me focussed so very happy with that.
  • RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please don't butt out of my diary EH, or stop posting on your own - I always find what you post thoughtful and helpful (and together with DIA, you are my role models for the meal planning I will do when I grow up).

I'm not going to bother nosying on the other thread as I'm sure what you said was fine. I spend very little time on the boards these days as real life is so busy and I also don't 'technically' belong here any more - but I really appreciate both the encouragement and the occasional butt kicking I received early on, in fact I have no idea how I would have managed money-wise without this forum. And I still really appreciate having a space to keep myself on track and remember how scrimping in some areas lets me pursue dreams in others... as well as the chat and giggles :)

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    EH you are one of my favourite people around here and one of my favourite diaries to nosy about. I suck at updating my own diary because not much is going on in my life but I love reading yours. Your advice is always helpful and you're always friendly so I do hope you continue :)
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    Oh my - you lot! :o Massive hugs all round - thank you. It's funny - it only takes one comment like that one that got to me to make you question what you're doing and destroy your confidence - but by the same ticket as feeling that the other poster confirmed needs to realise that not everyone who's taking her to task can be wrong, I guess I also have to acknowledge that it was a single remark, almost certainly designed to be unpleasant, and generally, those are best shrugged off, tough as that is. You lot most definitely CAN'T all be wrong - and again, thank you for your lovely comments.

Beanie/HH Yes - I think you're right - I've felt for a while that the OP concerned there was the archetypal "playing at it" poster - perhaps debt-busting is the trendy middle class thing to do at the moment so she's joined in? No idea, but bearing in mind she's said that she doesn't actually care about being in debt (how on earth someone with several kids can feel like that I can't begin to imagine - surely you'd want to make sure you had security for them if nothing else?) I can't see her really having much success sadly - and less so if she refuses to listen to people trying to steer her on the right path.

Time to draw a line under it I think - what's the phrase - "You can't help them as won't help themselves" isn't it?!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Time to draw a line under it I think - what's the phrase - "You can't help them as won't help themselves" isn't it?!

Exactly this. You tried and even if not taken on board by who it was intended I am sure like me many others take on the advice you have given.
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    So general update then:

Prolific - few odds and ends yesterday - £2.74 payable, £5.70 pending. Hoping for a few more oddments today/tomorrow to get me to £10 for Thursday, but we'll see.
    OnePoll - sitting at £32.85
    Got a YouGov survey yesterday - think I'm at 2750 there now - and losing the will!
    Populus - quiet as a quiet thing.
    Secret Surveys - £3 payable which I may log in and extract in a bid to remind them I'm here again!

3 months to the end of the year and looking at what I've already paid off the 0% card that suggests that I *ought* to be able to hit my £700 target. £184 to go to reach it, or £61 a month. £28 of that is achieved with the standard DD anyway so £33.33 from surveys etc - doable I reckon?

Last night's chicken stew was most tasty - and there is plenty of both the sauce and the chicken left for another night. In fact I think there is probably enough of the chicken left to do a lunch one day as well - will ask MrEH to factor that in I think. :T I'm currently thinking that I'll do the roast veggies tonight - MrEH has rugby training so it works well to have a meal that is easy to prepare separately for him. I can easily prep the squash for the risotto at the same time though to make life easier. That leaves the stew for tomorrow and risotto on Thursday. We do still have three eggs left but they've got enough left on the date that they'll wait until next week or the weekend to be used.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    she/her
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    I actually haven't had a single thing from prolific in weeks :mad:

That chicken stew sounds yum!
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh my - you lot! :o Massive hugs all round - thank you. It's funny - it only takes one comment like that one that got to me to make you question what you're doing and destroy your confidence - but by the same ticket as feeling that the other poster confirmed needs to realise that not everyone who's taking her to task can be wrong, I guess I also have to acknowledge that it was a single remark, almost certainly designed to be unpleasant, and generally, those are best shrugged off, tough as that is. You lot most definitely CAN'T all be wrong - and again, thank you for your lovely comments.

Beanie/HH Yes - I think you're right - I've felt for a while that the OP concerned there was the archetypal "playing at it" poster - perhaps debt-busting is the trendy middle class thing to do at the moment so she's joined in? No idea, but bearing in mind she's said that she doesn't actually care about being in debt (how on earth someone with several kids can feel like that I can't begin to imagine - surely you'd want to make sure you had security for them if nothing else?) I can't see her really having much success sadly - and less so if she refuses to listen to people trying to steer her on the right path.

I think you make some valid points and I definitely feel you should not take a backward step as you did nothing wrong. Many posters I am sure have benefited from your advice as having dealt with your own debts capably.

Unfortunately some posters just think short term and are not willing to listen or realise that short term sacrifices pay dividends in the long run. Sometimes I feel like knocking a few heads against a brick wall (not literally of course) but they are far outweighed by the people who are genuinely trying to improve their situation and take constructive advice on board.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks EH for your helpful comments today , I feel like I am going in the right direction. I always read your hints and tips on other people's threads and if I think they will work for me then I take them on board .
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks ES & Cumbria!

Silver the chicken stew does work nicely - I literally cook off onions, mushrooms and a couple of peppers sliced up until everything is soft, add garlic, lots of smoked paprika (I use the mild one) and a pinch of thyme (well OK usually too much thyme - one day I'll remember that "less is more" on this!) salt & pepper to taste. I either use a tin of toms or a carton of value passata for the sauce - or when I'm doing a double batch like the other night one of each - and add a half tsp of sugar to take the edge off the toms. I also throw in a tin of chickpeas or other beans if I want to bulk it out a bit. Then it's just a case of cooking it for a while to let the flavours meld together, and lobbing in the chicken at the last minute assuming it's already cooked. Very tasty and goes well with rice, couscous or even pasta. :T

Nice little flurry on OnePoll last thing yesterday - £33.55 on there now
    Further nice little flurry on PA this morning - £4.64 payable and £7.55 pending there.
    No change anywhere else.

So much for having an easy to prep meal for MrEH last night - he got caught up at work, didn't leave until well after 9pm, and so had to grab himself something on the way home as it was going to be too late to eat by the time he got here. Thankfully he was able to get a pasta salad on M&S so ate that on the train. He was out again well before 6 this morning too as he's had to go back to Oxford again, so goodness knows what time he'll make it home tonight. :(

This means that there is still a pile of roasted veg to get used somewhere - so I have prepped a smaller amount of butternut squash for tomorrow's risotto and will add the roasted veggies as well. There is also half a chunk of halloumi needing a home - I'm thinking my lunch on Friday will now be "squeaky cheese flavoured" :D :T Tonight is the rest of the chicken stew, probably with couscous again I think, don't mind it two nights on the trot.

Struggling with NSD's at the moment - needed "ladies supplies" yesterday, and have the gym tonight. Might make tomorrow a NSD? Not sure whether anything might scupper that plan though. I am going to start paying the Gym on a card rather than cash though as it occurs to me it'll stop me taking out £10 to cover the £7 gym cost - meaning the £3 change just disappears... :o I'll try using the card and see how that works.

A photo project I'm currently working on will have some cost associated with it in a week or so as I'm putting together a gift for someone that will need to be ordered. That'll come straight from my "presents" budget though and I will be searching around for codes ahead of ordering to reduce the cost as much as possible.
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills