Having the kitchen and lounge in the same room

Options
Andrew_Ryan_89
Andrew_Ryan_89 Posts: 530 Forumite
Does anyone else really hate this? It's a common feature in new build flats and mostly down to the lack of space. However, I recently done a viewing at some new build homes down the road from me. All at least 4 bedrooms and have a garage. Floor space is quite decent but again they the kitchen and lounge are in the same room.

I just can't understand why anyone would have this. My main gripe is the noise if wife is cooking and I'm watching TV or smells lingering after you have cooked.

I remember one viewing we done and you could open the oven from the sofa!

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply! [purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really hate that too, kitchens should be separate IMO.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    I had a works flat like this in Dublin. I hated it.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • TeamPlum
    TeamPlum Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options

I just can't understand why anyone would have this. My main gripe is the noise if wife is cooking and I'm watching TV . . .

Hi. 1953 calling . . .
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    The developers are selling a lifestyle. The glossy brochure showing someone cooking while a (small) group of friends are nearby, chatting, drinking wine all having a wonderful time!

Then 5 minutes after all is finished in the kitchen, the group are constantly !!!!ed off with the noise of the dishwasher (if you're lucky enough to have room for one!) and the smell of the pots and pans left to be washed up.

Basically they've gained an extra few square meters per flat, just enough to squeeze another one bed onto each floor to sell at an over-inflated price.

Also, if you're in a city centre, there's the argument many people don't cook at home often so there's no need for a separate kitchen.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I quite like the all-in-one living space, of course it helps if it's a big space & you have the quietest appliances & a utility room for the washer & dryer.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My main gripe is the noise if wife is cooking and I'm watching TV or smells lingering after you have cooked.

what's her view as and when you cook?
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Friends of mine have an open plan downstairs and it looks and feels really nice. I don't think I could have it though as I like a nice cosy lounge.
  • scottishblondie
    Options
    I would love to have a big open plan kitchen/diner/living space for entertaining in. However, I would also want another living area as well :)
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are benefits to having the living-room and kitchen open, but I prefer having a living room that's closed off to the rest of the house; I'm big on compartmentalisation - I like the living-room to be a sectioned-off place to relax. Kitchen-diners I like.

If I had kids, I might like the option of using the kitchen while keeping an eye on the sods.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yawn to the people suggesting that your wife cooking belongs in 1953... whatever, she tends to cook, he tends not to, who are you all to judge? Everyone is different.

My opinion of open plan is that I like it, but I would also like a separate cosy lounge from the open kitchen/dining room. The kitchen really is the centre of a house and having space for guests or family to stand/sit and chat/drink/play while one or two others are cooking is wonderful.
    what's her view as and when you cook?
    YAWN
    Hi. 1953 calling . . .
    YAWN
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business