Only freedom will do

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Without meaning to sound defeatist, the career average pension provided by the new job will be plenty to meet our expectations in retirement, so no need to earn megabucks!
    That's not defeatist, that's working smart :j
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just catching up - congrats on the new job!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think I remember you saying you had another db pension that was associated with a previous employment. I have it in my head that it was CS-like. I think you would want to keep that separate anyway as it will be accruing growth through whatever annual inflator they use, whereas if you transfer it in you will set its' withdrawal date to age 68 (ugh) - several people in my scheme opted out and back in again a month later so although they have had their salaries capped since 2010 (max 1% pa) their pension has been increasing faster. If people don't think they will get promoted it's a good way of preserving their benefits under their scheme rules (age for instance) and growing it. As most public sector pensions have changed from final salary to career average for people your age, this is another benefit worth preserving, I think.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Suffolk Lass - I think your points are all spot on. For once, the wonderful realisation is that everything is exactly fine just the way it is :beer:

Retirement is going to be messy - 5+ pensions and an ISA :rotfl:

DD currently napping after an hour being mental in the pool, a skip turned up at 07:30 this morning so that I can clear out the garage and I have 10 hour cider braised pulled pork cooking in the oven :A

Mr S is my new bargain spot. I got 2.5kg pork shoulder, 8 quarter pounders, 1.6kg of 97% meat sausages, 0.5kg of turkey breast and 0.5kg of turkey mince for a tenner :money:

Just updating some spreadsheets just now and waiting for the :coffee: to kick in.

£1.23 OPed and I ordered a bargain copy of 'Sapiens', a book that has been getting recommended by lots of bloggers who are much smarter than me :j
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That looks a goooooooooood book! Puts me in mind of the anthropology third of my degree, way back when. Though there've been so many discoveries since then, as well as wonderful theoreticians - enjoy!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • edinburgher
    Options
    £1.03 OPed - exciting stuff ;)

Off to watch the rest of the Lions final test, then tidy up, then fill some of the skip, then family visit, then family BBQ :eek:
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A nice relaxing day then...
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Not too bad - skip filling has been postponed to this evening and sure SIL will fancy a bit of baby wrangling - leaving a chance to relax :)
  • edinburgher
    Options
    £2 OPed, skip filling finished and garage is now 2/3 empty :j

Mrs E wants to go to Ike@ :(
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Ike@ was typically horrible. New bed frame + wardrobe + chest of drawers is looking like it will cost c. £1,000 :eek:

DD was gifted a large cuddly German shepherd, she is such a spoiled only child, but she is happy, affectionate and lovely :A

Also - frabjous day! She said 'poo' for the first time in her beautiful little musical voice :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure