PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• Katieowl
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    We've not got much in the way of leftovers nargle. We went the 'lets not buy much because it's just one day' but I have a sneaky suspicion we'll be out on Boxing Day topping up. I so wish I'd gone the leftovers route! :rotfl:

Merry simply Christmas all. :xmastree:

You might want to nip out today, I couldn't see anywhere was open Boxing day :) I'm going at 2pm to see if they've reduced anything exciting.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My local Tesco superstore is open on Boxing day, as is Asda.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a food hoarder katieowl. We won't be hungry we just won't have yummies to use up.
  • SimpleLiving
    Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone for posting in this thread. I didn't think my original post would generate such a great response:T
    So Christmas is nearly here. I must admit I have not got excited about Christmas since I was 12 and my Dad left my Mum a few weeks before Xmas. Now Xmas is always tinged with the sadness of coming from a broken family and also missing lost relatives especially grandparents. We always go to my Mum's over Xmas.
    My sister is a source of considerable stress, she is always in debt (despite her and her OH having a decent income), her OH is an alcoholic, and she never helps with the cooking or washing up. I hate the effect this has on me and my Mum. To be honest I do avoid contact where possible, but maintain relations for my son's sake. He loves his Aunty.
    With that and the blatant consumerism of the last 2 months, and a feeling that if you aren't part of a big happy family with many kids then you are somehow odd, I can take or leave Christmas these days.
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hope you have a good Christmas SimpleLiving

Christmas should be whatever we want it to be. I hope your sister gets bitten by some Christmas cheer - and her OH bitten by a bit less of it! :D

Bexster :)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I can,t help thinking that Christmas is often not the joyful family occasion it should be for many people for a whole variety of reasons, so let’s be mindful of that, thankful for our own blessings and especially think of those spending Christmas on their own if not by choice.
  • Brambleberry
    Options
    Happy Christmas Eve everyone!

I've finally caught up with reading this thread, thank you all for your inspiring words so far, so many ideas resonate with how I'd like my life and home to be.
    After a frenetic final week at work, full of highs and lows - but mostly just "full" I will be using some of my precious holiday time to complete my yearcompass booklet and try to give myself a better plan for this year, without setting myself too many "should do"s in the process.

Wishing you all a peaceful Christmas :xmastree:
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can also prod rugs as well as hook them. Instead of pulling the material through with a hook you push instead. Would this be an option?
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) I use bought rug canvas, which is a mesh, so no forcing the wool through, just a tug on the ends when each knot done, to tighten it up on the canvas. I'm sorry your ex got your rugs, they should stay with their maker, imo.
    Thanks, both of you. :A
    It's the "pulling tight" bit I'd struggle with - I have very little grip in my hands these days; but I shall have a think and see if I can come up with a way around it, as I'd like to do another rug at some point.

GQ The ex kept an awful lot of my possessions; including things he'd promised I could have back with no problem.:( But in the grand scheme of things,it was only "stuff"; what was important was getting out of a highly toxic and frankly dangerous situation.
    And it has made me far more appreciative of Mr LW - chalk and cheese doesn't begin to describe the difference.
    fuddle wrote: »
    The only handmade gift I've given are dog biscuits for my sister's German Shepherd.
    That sounds wonderful. Do you have a recipe, pretty please?
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Happy Christmas all - I have just put all the presents under the tree - a maximum spend of £10 per person, which all the family is doing this year. Amazing what great gifts you can create or buy for very little money. Next year I plan to simplicate more :)

Great thread, here's to a great day!
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Hi LameWolf the recipe I used was this one - bacon and peanut butter https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/10/23/homemade-peanut-butter-dog-treats/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure