PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Whilst we may not be on the verge of NATO and Russia nuking it out, it does look as if Europe's gas supplies are not 100% secure if Putin puts pressure on Ukraine.

Germany is investing in 'clean coal' power generation. We are closing coal fired power stations. No government of either colour has had anything that could properly be called an energy policy for decades. Having said that, I think Theresa May was quite right to call in Hinckley Point for reconsideration. To me it seems crazy to have so many eggs in one basket and EDF still haven't managed to build one that works -the two currently under construction in Europe are years behind schedule and massively over budget.

Keep prepping, folks
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    I haven't booked yet, but I'm looking to go there in December, during the Winter fair.
    f6a37ebd54.jpg

Certainly very pretty :)
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    I read a piece in the paper someone left on the train this morning which said that Russian tanks were 'massing on the border between Crimea and Ukraine sparking fears of an invasion' I tried to google it when I got home but only came up with a piece in the Daily Rant and Rail. One of the comments said he had looked at several Ukrainian news sources and they only said that Russian military movements were taking place inside Crimea and said nothing about concentration on the border.

I thought it was interesting as an exercise in stoking fear - but for what purpose? There is no doubt that there are several flashpoints in the world - not just in Europe. But it don't look like WW3 is breaking out this week

I take a daily look at the online news and it's really interesting to compare the qualities and the tabloids and the stance they take on different issues. Stories about Brexit issues are rife and from what I can see are pretty much all speculation. I think I read somewhere that British troops had been sent to Ukraine to counter the Russian movements, but in such small numbers it would be sabre-rattling. The BBC online service used to be really good for reliable, in-depth reporting of world events but now has become so slow that breaking news is always first on social media.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    So where's the best place to get breaking news? Real news I mean, not rumours and tall tales ?
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    So where's the best place to get breaking news? Real news I mean, not rumours and tall tales ?

And I had you down as a psychic....!

I think the BBC is without favour but it's no longer funded sufficiently and the dreaded Sky News is usually quicker to the press. I will try out Al Jazeera next and see how independent they are. I think you have to take a lot of social media reports with a pinch of the white stuff, until someone steadier comes along with confirmation.

Case in point was the (social media) reported case of the decapitation of a passenger on a Surrey train. The emergency services were later at pain to deny this absolutely, yet the following day the tabloids reported that the girl who saw the alleged decapitation was off work with some sort of PTSD.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Zero hedge is pretty good but don't read the comments:eek:
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Vice news is good.

The BBC is biased as fvck.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I find Al Jazeera ok, and RT is ok, but both slant the news a bit. The BBC I went right off during the referendum up here, and Sky news is garbage.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Options
    The Beeb is really slow to report anything that's breaking. For live news on a breaking story, I actually read the "live" sections of the Guardian believe it or not :o

Zero Hedge, yes, they have bias (and I don't understand the technical stuff about charts, and I *studied* charts for ages) and the comments, as Mary indicates, are completely toxic.

The other "believe it or not" is the daily wail for some things - if there's a big story like the Nice attacks, they'll have pictures, and phone footage, and you can see for yourself. I know that sounds odd :o
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    and RT is ok, but both slant the news a bit.

A bit? RT is pure Kremlin propaganda!!
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family